PDA

View Full Version : source of sugar cravings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

razzle
Sat, Jan-04-03, 16:01
I was reading From RS McElvaine's Eve's Seed: Biology, the Sexes, and the Course of History, and came across this on pages 92-93:

"Evolution does not produce traits that are harmful to the organism in the current environment, but neither does it check predelictions that carry no current danger. Another example of such a no-longer adaptive predisposition is the appetite humans have for sugar. In the wild, this craving was useful, and there was no danger of getting too much of it. But, as the dental bills in the prefluoridation era attested, that is no longer the case.... Our once adaptive appetite became dangerous when something that had been scarce became abundantly available. [He then quotes evolutionary biologist Leda Cosmides on how fast food places cater to cravings for foods that were rare but crucial to eat in limited amounts when we were hunter-gatherers.] In the ancestral environment, salt, sugar, and [animal] fat were "slow food"; humans could not obtain them quickly, or in large quantities. So we have no innate means of resisting them now that what was once slow food has become fast."

I'm curious as to what my fellow paleo folks think the sugar cravings or tastebuds are primarily for--fruit during its short season? safe vegetables? (Some of the healthiest veggies are pretty bitter to my tongue, still, like dandelion leaves.) What foods did these sweet taste receptors help us find that were necessary to survival?

Elihnig
Tue, Jan-14-03, 18:32
Well, I'm not a Paleo person but I'll take a stab at this. To my understanding, the human body has several mechanisms to ensure it's survival. One of these is the storage of body fat to outlast a shortage of food. The body wants to make sure that it has adequate fat stores to last through a long winter or periods of time when there is not much food around. Hence, I believe the body craves calorie dense food like fats and carbohydrate dense foods like honey and fruit in order to better ensure survival.

Just a thought.

Beth