PDA

View Full Version : New to LCD

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kmwebb1967
Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:10
HI, I just started 12/30/2002. So far I am hanging in there. I just keep wondering every day if I am doing this correctly. I HAVE noticed my face and arms slimming down but am waiting for THE BELLY!!! Would like to know more about "hidden carbs" to make sure I am not going over. By my estimates (that I pad by 5 just in case) I am averaging 28 grams a day.
I guess I just need to know I am not alone!

tofi
Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:42
Hello kmwebb & welcome to the board. I see that you have already lost some pounds in the first days.

There are several ways of avoiding hidden carbs. One, is to eat NOTHING that is not on the Induction List. Leave the condiments, prepared foods & even the LC substitutes until well after Induction's 2 weeks are over.

Another way to get a real handle on what you are eating is to enter your food into an online program called "Fitday".. Go to www.fitday.com and you can start your own journal. It will assign values to your menu and tell you how many carbs & calories, how much fat & protein etc. Remember that you can now subtract the FIBER carbs from the TOTAL carbs and get the lower carb count of EFFECTIVE CARB COUNT to add up. This began in Protein Power but was included in the last 2 editions of Atkins.

I see that you have read the Dana Carpender book and chosen Atkins. Please do try to get your hands on an Atkins DANDR & read it. Or go to the Atkins site: www.atkinscenter.com to read teir Induction List & other helpful tips.

Be sure to go to the Newbies Questions forum & read the Hot Links post. Most of your questions have already been answered there and some of the suggestions will keep you from making mistakes.

All the best as you continue. :wave: