PDA

View Full Version : Argh

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Smurfy
Fri, Jan-03-03, 06:11
Well,

Here I sit, sucking down the water because all I can do is think about food. It is very frusterating because I used the FitDay program and according to it, and after chewing a piece of sugar free gum (2 carbs), I only have 2 carbs before I hit the big 20 mark. I don't feel like I am eating enough. That 18 carbs is only up to breakfast and I haven't eaten anything for lunch. Well, I guess I shouldn't be too upset, I am not really hungry, just bored. I still don't know what I am going to make for breakfast and tomorrow.... well who knows. I guess I am just feeling the "change." I have always been one of those people who pushes herself harder and harder until I quit. That is aparent with the 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening of cardio. I know that it seems that I am rambling on and on but working around the military at an overseas base, I can't even find clothes that fit me because they are all "child size" and the others are either sold out or cost $50+ for a shirt. Does anyone else here just sit and think of food all day, if so, what can you do if you can't leave?? (I am at work with nothing to do) Also, what about the salad??? I thought it was good for you, but it seems that is the place where all my carbs come from. I LOVE salad and don't know what else to do. I am really frusterated.

TeriDoodle
Fri, Jan-03-03, 06:34
Smurfy,

Have you read the Atkins book yet? If not, at least visit the Atkins website at www.atkinscenter.com and get very familiar with the plan and allowed foods. If you're following the rules of induction, it would be difficult to hit 18 carbs by lunchtime! Something's not right.

When you count your carbs, are you subtracting fiber grams? Fiber is indigestible, so it should be deducted from your carb count. Salad has a LOT of fiber, so this might help. Certain salad veggies, like carrots, are high in carbs and should be avoided. Also, be careful about your salad dressings....use Ranch, blue cheese, vinaigrettes, oil & vinegar or make your own so you can control the ingredients.

The BIG secret to low-carbing is to PLAN AHEAD, PLAN AHEAD, PLAN AHEAD. Bring snacks with you to work so that you don't have to rely on the vending machines....that will help tremendously!

Welcome to the forum and stay with it!! It gets easier once you get into a groove! I promise!

Tarrawack
Fri, Jan-03-03, 15:10
Hi
I'm next door in the Netherlands and am also feeling frustrated with this diet thing. Identified with your 'clothes don't fit' because everything here does not fit - and its not because the folks here are small at all - I just think they got to the (big sizes) sales before I did !!!!!! Honestly the sizing seems quite crazy because even if they close at the front the sleeves (or legs) are too short.

I don't even exercise very much so well done to you !! Am also
in the midst of the dreaded 'change' and don't know what to advise - just keep at it ?? The language/products available and contents of such is difficult here, and although I speak Afrikaans (22 years in Cape Town), its almost the same as Dutch but the grammer is quite different so it can be difficult !!
Val

Tarrawack
Fri, Jan-03-03, 15:14
Sorry to go on again, but I just re-read your mail and YES I do think about food all the time.

And I am not at work - after 25 odd years as an IT (Computer)
professional I am now a HOUSEWIFE - no kids either..... but 2
dogs and a cat and its hard but I do love to read if I can get enough English reading for a couple of days !!

No, in answer to your question I can't get work because I don't speak fluent Dutch - can get by locally though - and in very small village so no hope of jobs or even volunteer work.
Hope this all makes you feel better !! ha ha
Val

Yogibear
Sun, Jan-05-03, 05:25
Hi Smurfy,
Sounds like it getting you really down. You musy not be eating enough protein and fat if you are hungry. What are you having for breakfast?
I've finished day 3 now of induction and finally am in ketosis with littlel hunger and cravings (at last :thup: ) I have been eating plenty but as the book says limiting my salads to 2 cups and veggies to 1 cup per day. I usually have eggs, cheese and meat omelette with cream for breakfast and that keeps me going well till lunchtime. Then for lunch I have salad and meat and cheese. For dinner it's meat and veg. I snack if I'm hungry on meat or cream cheese. You can't afford to be hungry or else you be tempted to eat carbs. Fill up..eat plenty.
Start a journal and put in each day what you eat so others can help you. I have already yesterday and I've got some good help today. Don't give up...get it right!!!! :help:

Hang in there there's heaps of people here who can help with loads of experience. I'm only new too.
Yogi

Hellwoman
Tue, Jan-07-03, 00:37
Hello
Its Hellwoman again,
Why dont you try something similar to what I do?
I plan well ahead and this is a usual day.
Bacon and eggs for breakfast
A tuna or crab salad for lunch. I chop a radish, some cucumber, celery, avocado and spring onion up really small and mix this with the seafood and some mayo. It makes quite a bit. Then chuck the whole lot on a few shredded lettuce leaves - yummy
Dinner is half a chicken breast (the other half for the next night) chopped up with the same veges for lunch and add 2 eggs, herbs, etc. Pour the whole lot into a dish and bake and put cheese on top. Its a yummy frittatta.
I take ham rolled up filled with cream cheese to work in case I get hungry before lunch or after. So far, this hasnt happened.
Hellwoman