PDA

View Full Version : Carb Blocker

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nursemary
Fri, Jan-03-03, 01:07
Has anyone tried something called a "carb-blocker"? Is it safe? What does it do? This would be great on holidays, etc. I haven't found very much online - just ads. :q:

tofi
Fri, Jan-03-03, 20:28
Yes, it's "Safe". I believe they are mostly ground up oyster shell (from what I've read). It's supposed to absorb carbs or block them from being absorbed. I have read on various boards about people who used them, with varying success - never great success.

It doesn't really help make the changes in your eating habits that are necessary to lose the body fat and keep it off for ever, if we just go around looking for opportunties to stuff in the same old ccarbs that made us fat in the first place. (This is just my occasionally humble opinion ;) )

If you are going on holiday, you could try to use the CAD/CALP concept of a "Reward Meal". You must eat a salad to begin, then 1/3 protein, 1/3 LC veggies and the other 1/3 can be anything IF THE MEAL IS FINISHED IN 60- MINUTES. Personally, I tried that and gained weight even though I was careful about the ratio and the time limit. It also set up huge carb cravings in me, but I have a friend who did it and he lost well for a while.

It's just my opinion: the carb blockers may work, but I wouldn't reccommend them to anyone.

:wave:

nursemary
Fri, Jan-10-03, 18:06
I found out a little bit more. It appears there are a couple of different types. Some block starches, some block sugars and some do both.
One had chromium, kidney beans and another key ingredient. Another one has kidney beans, soybeans and parsley. It appears that these ingredients help inhibit the enzyme that starts the break-down and absorption of starches/sugars. Just today I was talking to a friend about it and she heard a doctor on TV this morning talk about having some of his patients use it. Hmmm. Very interesting. I am going to give it a try and see what it is all about. :cool:

Mary

micsing
Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:32
I have found both sugar and carb blockers online at genesisnutrition.com...............have tried both, but not sure of results.....good site with info on many supplements. :p

nursemary
Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:13
I am not getting excited yet...but...I have taken it when I was going to eat at a belated "Christmas" party. The next day I lost 1/2 pound - so I am continuing my experiment and documentation to see if it was a fluke or not!
:spin:

micsing
Mon, Jan-13-03, 15:00
That's great! Keep me informed on your progress and if you think they are valuable!! :roll: :roll:

ssguzman
Sat, Jan-18-03, 17:07
Nurse Mary-
How are they working? I am thinking about buy something to hopefully get me to start losing. I have been on induction for 18 days no sucess yet!
Let me know if they are helpful!
Thank you
ssguzman

nursemary
Sat, Jan-18-03, 18:50
:p Yes. I think they are helping. I don't feel as hungry and I did have a cookie one day and kept losing and did still show trace on the ketostick. The ones I have block sugar and starch and limit them to nine a day (you take 3 for a 500 calorie carb meal). I don't use them all the time.

What I found when I am "stuck" is to do fish and grapefruit juice all day with protein bars for snacks. It really helps.

:roll: Mary