PDA

View Full Version : Starting CA Healthy Heart Program

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pskplus4
Thu, Jan-02-03, 16:53
Hi Everyone,

I started today and so far so good...feeling full even. Brunch I had a hamburger pattie with a slice of cheese, pickle, lettuce and tomatoe slice....Late lunch was a chef salad with oil & vinegar. Dinner will be some turkey and salad, maybe a piece of fruit. I'm not looking for sweets for some reason. I have read that the first three days are hard and I am prepared for that by having enough low carb foods in the fridge. I am a bit concerned about the taste in my mouth...this program doesn't allow anything sweet (even surgar free) because insulin levels are affected even by the taste of sweetness. So I will have to see what happens with my breath. I need to ask my dr. about toothpaste because Im sure I will want to brush my teeth more often. I am seeing Dr. Vagnini who has co-authored along with the Drs.' Heller the program I am going to follow. I have had full blood work up, EKG, Echo Cardio, 3hr glucose test and will return next week for an exercise stress test. I haven't really exercised in years so I am taking it slow by just going for walks that last about 30-45 minutes. After some weight loss I hope to move up to some low impact arobics (bike or tread mill) and some strength training. The Dr. has suggested that I come to his office every 3-4 weeks for review and in between I will come here and read and post. Good luck to everyone here. Happy New Year!

Vel
Fri, Jan-03-03, 08:39
It looks like you are on track for success. I am not familiar with the CAD heart healthy plan, but it is great that you are checking everything out with your doctor. I kind of think I should have done that too.

If you are concerned about bad breath.. have you tried Listerine Pocket packs? Little squares that you put on your tongue to dissolve, no carbs. They work great.

Good luck :)

GoodTxGirl
Fri, Jan-03-03, 09:33
I have some sugar free gum with only 1 gram of carbs....I really am not supposed to have that ??? :(

tokenyanke
Fri, Jan-03-03, 12:03
Gum isn't recommended... even though it's sugarfree. I use the Eclipse strips(same as the Listerine but I get the cinnamon flavor)and they are awesome.

The program you're starting sounds really neat! You'll have to let us know more about how it works.