PDA

View Full Version : I'm re-new.....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Brownsoup
Thu, Jan-02-03, 07:24
I fell out of lo carb way of eating about 5 months ago. I was doing pretty good with it but I got .... well I don't know - lax about it I guess? I started oking foods that were not ok and before I knew it - I was wide open with carb eating - which makes me eat alot and out of control.

I need soome feedback on how to balance being Dad and exercising. I have a pit feeling of guilt if I think about going for a bike ride or even riding the stationary in the basement. I have a 3yr old Nate and a 2 year old Elizabeth. Man I love them. I really cant take them mountian biking yet ( I love mountain biking)
I feel like when I am home - I need to attend to them completely. They really miss me when I am at work.

Anyway....I am back to low carb starting this am. I am jumping in right now and I need to wake up my inner fire about getting healthy - Steve

Smurfy
Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:22
Nice to meet you..
I am hoping that when I go back to the states I will get to the Maryland/VA/DC area. I understand what you mean about the time but sometimes, you have to get up early to get it done. Either that, or take them with you. Talking to the kids actually takes your mind off the the "ugly pain" you are putting yourself into. Keep it up and you will find there are more benifits when you are less tired when they ARE around!

lucylu
Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:54
HI STEVE,
I SAY, RIDE THE BIKE, EVEN AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE YOUR CHILDREN LEARN BY WATCHING. I LOVE IT WHEN MY SON SAYS HEY WE DIDN'T EXERCISE TODAY. HE IS FOUR AND HIS IDEA OF EXERCISING IS A COLORING BOOK AND CRAYONS WHILE I EXERCISE. WOW, THE GUILT IS SO STRONG. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF, AS LONG AS YOUR CHILDREN ARE AROUND YOU THEY ARE PROBALY HAPPY. MABEY TRY INTERACTING WITH THEM AS YOU RIDE THE STATIONARY BIKE. WATCH A VIDEO WITH THEM OR SING SOME SONGS OR TELL STORIES. THEY WILL ENJOY THAT. AS FOR THE RIDING OUTSIDE. I AM XXXXXXX WAS AN AVID MOUNTAIN BIKER, UNTIL I HAD MY SON.... HE WOULDN'T RIDE IN ATTACHED SEAT I HAD INSTALLED. HE IS NOW FOUR AND CAN RIDE WITHOUT THE TRAINING WHEELS. THIS YEAR I HOPE TO RIDE A DAY WITH HIM AND THEN ONE FOR MYSELF. I THINK IF I STRIKE A DEAL WITH HIM, I WILL GET SOME TIME FOR MYSELF. THIS IS SOMETHING I AM REALLY LOOKING FOREWARD TO. GOOD LUCK!!!!! LUCYLU

GoodTxGirl
Thu, Jan-02-03, 09:18
Im certainly not a professional but what I read in the Carbo Addicts book is that once you start back on carbs it is hard to control the eating of them....I know that I have that problem. And it stems from having too much insulin in your blood stream...the insulin makes you crave the sweets and carbs. Good Luck on the low carbing - Im new at it and I know how hard it is....I agree with the other people too about riding your bike with the kids or the stationary bike while they are napping...I am a working mom myself and have a hard time fitting in the exercise but Im trying.

:)

TeriDoodle
Thu, Jan-02-03, 12:59
I remember you, Steve!! Welcome back!! ....and the important thing is that you ARE back! :wave:

DWRolfe
Thu, Jan-02-03, 13:32
I understand what you mean about finding time for working out and wanting to spend your free time with your kids...

...but what others have pointed out is so true. You will teach by example. And you can involve them in some fun way (let them record your numbers when you weigh in or something like that), especially if you let them know that you're trying to be healthy so that you can do more things with them.

It's important not to throw too many barriers up right now. Rather than thinking "I can't do this because of the kids", you should try "I'm doing this because I love my kids and I want them to think of me as a fit and active Dad."

If boredom led to the carb creep, navigate around the forum more and check out the recipes that are being shared. The more you have in your arsenol, the more likely you are to succeed.

Good luck & welcome back!

Donald :wave:

Brownsoup
Fri, Jan-03-03, 10:00
Feels good to be back and hear form familiars..... DW - you are right - sometimes I get stuck in negative thinking, or rather the "I can'ts". I will work on that. I'm going to be hitting my journal this week for sure. -Steve