PDA

View Full Version : Cad Advice Please

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rob
Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:53
As we have just finished the Christmas fare ,

I thought it would be a good opportunity to try another eating plan . I got interested in CAD and have just read the essential sections all ready to start tomorrow . Looking forward to it .

I am however a little doubtful and worried about not being successful .

Has anyone here not been successful in weight loss with CAD ? I would appreciate any advice before I begin .

Thanks

Rob

luv67fire
Fri, Dec-27-02, 20:01
It is okay to be skeptical, but you should not go into it thinking it won't work. I know I was pretty skeptical at first, and I think most people are weary of the RM especially. But after you start seeing some pounds slowly coming off and the inches creeping off too, you start to understand what the Hellers are really talking about. Just remember to give it a month or two before deciding it is successful or not.

If you just came from another low-carb plan, you may experience a few pounds gained, but that will come off. Lol, if you came from a low-fat plan, like I did, you may experience an immediate weight loss. Just comes to show that the low-fat dogma needs to be eliminated.

I have experienced weight loss (among other benefits), so I can't pitch in on your last question.

Anyways, Good luck and keep a positive attitude.. Remember that your RM is always LESS THAN 24 HOURS AWAY!!! :)

Rob
Fri, Dec-27-02, 20:33
Hi CAssie ,

thanks for replying . I must say that I am skeptical about the RM . I have just gianed a few pounds after Christmas and dont really want to gain any more . I am going on holiday in 4 weeks and I need to feel "ok" . :confused:

Rob

luv67fire
Sat, Dec-28-02, 00:59
The RM is makes vacations SOO easy. I mean, who wants to worry about what you eat on a vacation? Lol, I lost 4 pounds on the last vacation I took. I can't say you'll do the same, just saying it IS possible! And you do not even want to know what I had during my RMs!! They were definitely NOT balanced.

Breakfast CM's are SOO easy: Bacon and eggs, or a cheese omelet... yum.

Lunch CM's can be chef salad, or a caesar chicken salad, or seared chicken with green beans or avacadoes. Remember to watch our for low-fat dressings, they have extra sugar in them to add flavor from taking away the fat. I find that the more protein and fat I have, the longer I can go without eating again. Some people find the more veggies they have, the less hungry they are. Figure out what you are!

Dinner RM, sit and relax with whoever you are going with, enjoy a glass of wine (only during RM, remember) for an entire hour.

Personally, I find it easiest when you plan ahead. If there is a big social event where food plays an important part, make that your RM. Breakfasts are usually easiest for CMs cause of eggs and such.

Anyways, go ahead and start this, remember to AVERAGE your weight weekly (weigh each day, of course), and enjoy yourself on your vacation!

Sandylee
Sun, Dec-29-02, 03:59
Oh, Rob, I am so glad you started this thread! Intuitively I think CAD will be the right plan for me as well, but I have fears too, so it will be interesting to see the answers. I came out as a light to moderate carbohydrate addict in the test. I think I am just a food addict; I like to munch all day long. Did you take the test?

I wish you a lot of success with this :)

Rob
Sun, Dec-29-02, 05:34
(((((sandy)))))

I took the test and came out as moderate adict but with the online test I came out as a SEVERE addict . Dontcha just luv it !!!

So I call myself a moderate to severe addict . But I am really scared .

Last night I ate like there was no tomorrow and I am up 5 Lbs this morning . I dont feel swollen so I guess it may be the glycogen in the muscles but nevertheless I dont like to gain and I worked so damn hard to loose that just to gain like that worries me .

When I weighed myself this morning ,I really considered knocking this CAD lark on the head . I really have been following the
CAD deit without knowing it but doing it only once a week for one day on the weekend .

SOOOOO , I dont know what to do . People say that it normal to gain a bit when you start !!!!!!!!!!!

To change the subject , guess what I bought a watch on eBay , and I am so excited . I had a fake cartier Francaise that finally stopped working and I found a real one for a very good price indeed and bought it . It was my first purchase , I felt a bit nervous doing it . I know your daughter sells on eBay you told me .

Rob

Link_nz
Sun, Dec-29-02, 07:20
You can’t go crazy at RM and expect to loose.

:)

Just lc + lc + balanced meal (inside 60 mins).

It worked for me... whilst my RM's were controlled, but when i started eating 5 items from the bakery during RM it all went to sh*t.

;)

Rob
Sun, Dec-29-02, 07:31
Hi Link ,

yes but what is a balanced meal ?????? I read that it should be 1/3 protein, 1/3 lc veg and 1/3 hc . how do you measure this . I find it all very airy fairy

Rob

Rob
Sun, Dec-29-02, 08:01
Something else I dont like,

I can quote several examples from CAD where they say that you can eat what ever you want at the RM ,but then only to say its a feast not a binge and to eat a balanced meal . What the f**k is that supposed to mean ?

It is verrrrrry misleading , more so than Atkins .

At the end of day are you supposed to be LC and low fat except for a careful treat once a day ??
mmmmmmm I'm not convinced . Ok I may have had too much bread yesterday but it should be said not to overdo things .

I quote : ( page 215 from CM plans and recipes )

"Dinner:Really it's allowed. You can eat as much as you want. This is your reward meal,after all . Eat and enjoy "

Now can anyone tell me what that means ??

nawchem
Sun, Dec-29-02, 13:19
I think at the end of the day the point of CAD is to decrease your carb cravings by minimizing your insulin levels. If you can follow a "regular" lowcarb plan and lose weight, you probably don't need CAD.

If you find yourself constantly doing things like eating fake foods because you still have cravings, and these end up stalling you out or your surrounded by carbs around your boyfriend or job and you don't stick to the plan, CAD can help you in these situations.

You should follow the plan as written for two weeks and individualize from there, if it helps you with your cravings enough that you're happy with your weight loss.

Cad is lowcarb at all meals but the RM. The balance is not an exact science. By volume have 1/3 portions of each and if you have more bread have 1/3 portions again. The fiber slows the sugar into your bloodstream and the protein decreases the effect on your bloodsugar. When you've done the plan a while you will know how precisely you have to balance. Some people don't balance at all.

There are more rules than Atkins but there is more freedom of food choices too. It depends on your body and personality if it works for you.

You sound really frustrated right now, I don't blame you its disconcerting to work so hard and feel like its going down the drain. I personally like Atkins the best, but as soon as my carbs got over 30 the cravings got the best of me.

I hope this helps in some ways. CAD really does work, give it a try for 2 weeks and you'll have the information to know if it works for you.
Nancy

Rob
Sun, Dec-29-02, 13:49
Nancy ,

thanks so much for your relpy . I read someone saying that CAD is good to maintain weight .

I think overall that I will stick to PP for the mo. It has worked for me , maybe when I am down to what I want to be ,then I will try CAD . Thing is that I gained 7 Lbs since before Christmas and it has to stop like NOW!!

Rob

Sandylee
Sun, Dec-29-02, 17:34
Hi Rob :) :) :) :) :)
I think that's an excellent idea to stick with Protein Power for now and then once you get as low as you want then go on CAD for maintenance, so that you can stick with it long term. You did so well on Protein Power!!! But I still think 130 seems low and 140 seems better but that's just my opinion :O)

I still am not feeling guilty or bad about the binge I have been on since Thanksgiving. It must just be this time of the year. A lot of us have our faces in the feeding trough. For me, the hard part of Low Carbng is sticking with it and not dying of boredom with the food. You did a lot better with that than me. Where my problem came in with Atkins, it was trying to stay on Induction for way too long. I am pretty sure I can actually stick with CAD. I know I can wait until "dinner", instead of not being able to eat what I want "forever". I was a little confused by the amounts too. But I think once I start on CAD I will be able to figure out the amounts. I also like that we have this huge support group here that seems to know what they are doing. If I don't lose weight with it, then that's another story. I like the low carb life as long as there is a balance. It really feels healthier not to eat white flour and sugars.

I'd love to see a picture of that Cartier!!!!!!!!!!!

Huggles,
Sandy

Rob
Sun, Dec-29-02, 18:12
Sandy I've got to loose this 7 Lbs before I go on my vacation end Jan .

I will post a pic of my *new* watch and one of me as well :D

Rob :wave:

luv67fire
Mon, Dec-30-02, 18:03
I'm wondering what the rest of your meals consist of. It is normal to gain a few pounds (not seven, but a few) the first week or so on CAD. You must allow yourself to adjust, a few days is not an indicator of how the diet will work. People going through induction on Atkins usually lose very quickly. After induction, it normally does not keep "shedding" off like it does during induction. It is an adjustment period, your body doesn't just change overnight. If you are having cravings, than after a few days on CAD they should go away.

But afterwards it is possible to eat most anything you'd like during the RM. I have done it many times (after the first two weeks on CAD) and have never gained after a RM. I may be an exception, but honestly, if you are doing the CM's right, you shouldn't gain weight on CAD. Remember that a lot of people react to AS just like they would if they ate the real stuff. There are many hidden carbs so sticking to the stuff detailed on Zul's list (since I know you don't have the book) might be a good idea. Also remember, during the first two weeks, it is 2 CM's and one RM. The more frequently you eat, the more frequently your insulin levels rise.

Anyways, sorry you got so discouraged, but a few days just isn't much time to try out ANY plan.

Last night, when you ate like there was no tomorrow, was it all done in no more than ONE HOUR? Even a few minutes after 60 min can throw the entire woe off balance for the next day or two. I understand that some parts might be "misleading" but if you take in common sense, you can very easily follow this plan. In the book 1/3 portions mean it LOOKS portioned. If you want more bread, you must have that much more protein and low carb veggies. I think that everyone can agree that if you overload yourself with calories (from eating like there is no tomorrow) you will pay for it. No matter what plan you are on. Eat until you are full. Also, what did you have last night? Was it packed with sodium? Have you had a BM?

Have you AVERAGED your weight? On CAD it is important to average yourweight to indicate exactly how much you are really losing. I gained 5 pounds the one day I went off it, over the last three days I've lost it all and am back down to my lowest weight. I expect tomorrow I will not gain, and maybe even lose half pound (it slows down). I believe most of it was from salt overload. That could very easily happen to you as well. Besides all that, your body is still NOT USED to you eating like this.

Either way, if you want to quit, that is fine, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

Rob
Mon, Dec-30-02, 18:18
Cassie ,

thanks for your long and very helpful posting . I agree with you that I should have given myself more time but I got real spooked out by gaining overnight . No I didnt gain 7 Lbs in one night , it was from Christmas and before Christmas .

Like I said , I am off on vacation end Jan and I need to loose it all before I go .

When I come back I may feel more like doing CAD , I certainly love the idea of eating what you want at the RM but I lost control and I guess you do need some control and that its not all about pigging out on carbs .

Thanks again

Rob :wave:

alicia50
Wed, Jan-01-03, 17:04
I also am new to the CAD I'll let you know how it goes for
me, as time progresses.

Lana