PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Blood Sugar Day

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rodney
Wed, Dec-18-02, 19:29
Hey All,

Struggling with a sinus infection but today I decided to try a "healthy" breakfast of complex carbs. I ate 2 pieces of oat bread with butter, 1 small apple, 1/2 cup baby carrots and a whey protein shake with olive oil and 1/4 cup frozen blue berries. A few hours later, I was just dead, so I checked my blood sugar: 166! This is high for me, especially after what most experts would call a healthy meal.

Wised up and had 3 large pieces of chicken for lunch. No snack. Then Chicken, 1 cup broccolli and 1/2 cup potatoes O'Brian for supper. Again, felt tired about an hour later and my blood sugar meter read 73. Didn't really feel that low, but double checked and had a second reading of 80.

Is this wacky? A bad meter? Is it the anti-biotics, ya think, or just from being sick? I hope my blood sugar isn't bouncing around like this every day. Anyone have any ideas?

Lisa N
Wed, Dec-18-02, 19:40
Hi Rodney!

Having an infection of any kind will definitely wreak havoc on your blood sugars (both highs and lows). The best you can do is to keep a close eye on it and let your doctor know if it's getting too out of line. I'd also try to keep the carbs to a minimum while you have the sinus infection. Any kind of injury or infection will make your body produce cortisol which in turn drives glucagon production and can make your blood sugars run higher than normal. HTH

kjturner
Thu, Dec-19-02, 05:51
Not to mention that if you were/are reactive hypoglycemic all those carbs would definitely have caused you to bounce badly. For those of us with insulin problems your 'healthy' diet is NOT healthy for you at all. I *became* diabetic eating 'healthy'! I've been LC'ing for a year and a half now and I'm MUCH healthier eating 'wrong'...

Lisa N
Thu, Dec-19-02, 06:51
Something else to consider too. Most diabetics don't handle carbs as well in the morning hours as they do the rest of the day. As I understand it, your cells are less sensitive to insulin in the morning than they are at any other time of the day so you may want to cut back on those morning carbs. It might also be a good idea to check your blood sugar every day, not just when you feel "off". The way you feel isn't always a good way to tell if your blood sugar is okay. I can feel just fine and have a blood sugar of 200 although I have to say it has never been that high since I started low carbing. Tight control is key to preventing diabetic complications.