PDA

View Full Version : zule why do we need carbs to lose?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nawchem
Tue, Dec-10-02, 23:52
Zule,
I thought I remembered you writing somewhere that CAs need carbs to lose. I was wondering why and how do you know what the right level of carbs is for you?
thanks Nancy

Zuleikaa
Wed, Dec-11-02, 09:29
I think in both CAD and CALP the Hellers say that the RM is not to be skipped. But in appearances the Hellers expand upon this and say that CAs have more energy and focus when they have their reward meal and that doing without the RM for too long can lead to lack of energy and focus and actually incite cravings by deprivation. They also say that doing without RM can actually stall weight loss. I take that to clearly mean that a CA needs carbs to lose weight and be healthy.

nawchem
Wed, Dec-11-02, 11:19
thanks, ya know that kind of matches my own experience. Yesterday I had a huge sweet rm (NOT balanced) and I had so much energy I went home and cleaned and decorated for 3 hours and I slept great too.

plum
Thu, Dec-12-02, 06:53
hi Nancy
Ive been pondering this one for some while, and I wouldnt be surprised if in my case at least, it wasnt something to do with seratonin levels.

I love the science as described by Dr Atkins, but he doesnt say much about seratonin. However if you are interested, do try reading the Scwarzbein principle. Theres a lot more in there about how important seratonin is.

seratonin gives you that satisfied feeling. I just think that perhaps CAD ... and I dont really know why !! :confused: ;) .... puts my seratonin levels back in line. I have this suspicion that my seratonin levels were a bit unbalanced with 20 g carb only.

in the index of CAD theres a few references to seratonin to look up.

nawchem
Sat, Dec-14-02, 21:39
Plum-that's interesting theory about the serotonin. When I did Atkins induction I was so hyped up I could barely sleep 3 hours a night and I was always craving chocolate. Now after the RM I feel very energetic, and usually have no desire to eat anymore food that day, and I'm sleeping very deeply at night.

Serotonin is the one of the chemicals that helps you relax and sleep isn't it? Anyway whichever one it is I think I have more of it doing CAD.