PDA

View Full Version : How do I measure my waist? In? Out? Neutral?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sandylee
Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:02
My waist measurement varies 6 inches depending on if I am holding my stomach in, standing with it slightly held in, or standing relaxed. So the calcualtions in Protein Power came out different depending on how I measured. What is the correct way to measure?

agonycat
Sat, Nov-30-02, 10:18
Um.

To take a measurement of your waist it should be in a totally neutral position. No holding the breath. No sucking the tummy in. No pushing it out either.

It should be totally relaxed and you are breathing normally. Otherwise the results would be skewed.

Sandylee
Sat, Nov-30-02, 23:02
Thanks for the help, Cat :) :) :)
I measured the way you said to. With my waist in I am 33. With my waist out I am 39, so I settled on 37 standing comfortably.

Sandylee
Sat, Nov-30-02, 23:05
I wish they used frame size for reference though. With the Protein Power method, I came out with that my ideal weight is 121 - 131. My doctor says that since I have a very large frame I should weigh around 140. It seems a little high for 5 ft. 2 though, so maybe the Protein Power estimate is more accurate.

Azlocarb
Fri, Dec-06-02, 16:15
Sandylee
The target weight you get after doing your calculations in PP is just a target. Once you get down to that weight you can decide if you need to lose some more or just go on maintenance. My experience was that when I hit my target of 190 I still felt that I was to fat and since it was so easy for me to lose on this plan I just kept on going until I liked how I looked and felt.