PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Edenz
Sat, Nov-30-02, 00:06
Hello everyone from Auckland, New Zealand. I have been on Atkins since June and lost 15kg - actually a bit more but have been up and down. I was on it last year and lost 5kg and then regained it again but have been more moderate and not so strict with myself this time and it is working. My only worry is that I love the bubbly stuff over the Christmas season :(
Another thing is that yesterday I found some of that Darryl Lea no-carb chocolate and would love to get other lowcarb stuff but apart from Weight Watchers jelly can find nothing here in New Zealand. Can any kiwis help me? The sweetener I use is seteva which is a herbal extract. :wave:

lesleyc
Sun, Dec-01-02, 13:39
Hi Lizzie,

Nice to see another kiwi here :)

Where did you find the Darryllea chocolate?? I've heard the Aussies mention it but have never been able to find it here.

I've also found Cadbury Lite at New World. It tastes quite good but does nasty things to my tum :o cos of the aspartame.

I find the best A/S is Splenda, which is in most supermarkets.

We're a bit light on low carb treats in NZ...I find it easiest to make one of the yummy recipes from this site, if I feel like something sweet.

Look forward to seeing you around
Lesley

Nesaea
Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:08
Hi,

I found some sugar free products from this company:http://www.joknal.co.nz

They make a range of sauces and jams sweetened with Splenda.

I managed to get the ketchup and some chilli sauce, both of which were very nice. I ordered from Woolworths online, so they should be available from the stores also.

I too would love to know where to get LC chocolate in Auckland!

Nesaea

Edenz
Sun, Dec-01-02, 23:13
:roll: Hi there. Thank's for you replies. This is the first time I have ever posted anywhere :D
I got the Darryl Lea no-carb chocolate from the delicatessen section at New World. I'll look out for the lite cadbury's. I'm afraid you'll find the same gassy problem with the Darryl Lea - I just put up with it as it was so heavenly to chomp into a legit sweetie. :p
LizzieB

bananagirl
Sat, Jan-04-03, 18:48
Hi,
I have found that although you can get low carb/lite choc they all taste chemically so I decided to go with the semi cheats option and bought bittersweet choc with 70%+ cocoa solids as although it has about 24%+ sugar/carbs u only need one of two squares to satisfy the choc craving. It takes a while to get used to the bitterness of it but it is soo much nicer and sooooo chocolatey. Tried a bit of cadbury Energy choc (bad me!!) and it tasted like sugar not chocolate.
U can get the chocolate at some New worlds, or Lindtz choc at Farmers. About $3-4 per bar (100-200g)

Edenz
Sun, Jan-12-03, 04:22
I found some Swiss chocolate at my local health food shop and it has 13g of total carb's per serving size which is 40g which is about 4 squares which is a lot, but then underneath it says it also has 6g of fibre. So, does this mean only 7g of carb per 4 squares? I have been indulging in this rather expensive ($6.70 per 100g bar) but delicious chocolate and not appearing to put on weight. I am on holidays at the moment with no scales so am not too sure though.
Can anyone tell me if this is true? Only 7g? It is called Stella and is 71% cocoa.
Lizze :roll:

Rosebud
Sun, Jan-12-03, 04:34
Hi Lizzie,

Do they give a total calorie/kilojoule count? If they do, you can work out whether or not they've presubtracted the fibre. In Australia, manufactured goods have the fibre presubtracted, so I'm guessing NZ may too.

If you know the total cals, you can do the sums. If it's just kilojoules, there are approx 4.2 kj per calorie. In fact, I usually say 4 for a very rough count.
Anyway, protein and carbs have approx 4 cals per gram and fat has 9. You can work out from that the solution.

Cheers, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

jaddles
Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:14
Hi Edenz - know where you're coming from with the bubbly stuff - I think that is what I'll miss the most :( :( :rolleyes:

Best of luck - Jaddles