PDA

View Full Version : hypoglycemia

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Danny_boi
Thu, Nov-28-02, 15:42
i was just wondering if hypoglycemia can be cured or is it a life long disease

has anyone on low carbing cured there hypoglycemia or had drastic improvements. i have had hypoglycemia for 2 years now and have just started low carbing. i would also like to know if hypoglycemia has an effect on your intelligence or memory in anyway. sorry if these might seem dumb questions but i cant get help from anyone and i dont no anyone with hypoglycemia. i am scared that hypoglycemia is affecting my social life and my studies.

also does anyone no if hypoglycemia gets worse during puberty.

jaykay
Fri, Nov-29-02, 13:25
Hi Danny, I think I caught up with you in another post.
If you have hypoglycaemia then your insulin responses are not 'normal'. That can be improved beyond measure with LC, but the tendency is still there. So if you start to eat high carb again, back you go to being hypoglycaemic.
So - you can 'cure' it with diet, but its a life long issue.

No - it doesn't permanently affect your memory or intelligence (I got my PhD since I became Hypoglyc. ) but it certainly affects both during a hypo. The effect goes once your blood sugar is normal again.

I became hypoglyc. at 20. Other people I know who are (mainly in my family) also got it around the same time.

It used to affect my social life and studies until I got it under control. Then there wasn't a problem, except I controlled it by eating every 2 hours, so I got fat.

Now I have it under control and I've lost weight, by LCing.

LC will fix it, but it may take a few weeks. While you're adjusting, don't fuss too much about carb levels or losing weight (which I seem to remember you weren't trying to anyway), just eat low carb foods and eat when you're hungry - for me, that's still every two hours!

So - no sugar, grains or anything made from them, root veg, beans or peas and not most fruit. Be very careful with alcohol and caffeine.

Eat lots of green veg (apart from peas), salads, meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts.
hard boiled eggs and nuts are good 'snack' foods and quite portable. MacDonald's without the bun and chips are good in a hurry, though you have to buy more than one!
Beer is out ( :( ) unless you can find the Michelob low carb beer, we don't have it over here. The odd glass of dry wine or whisky is ok usually.

It will sort itself out - honestly, and gradually the way you eat (and don't drink :rolleyes: ) becomes normal to you and your mates. Mine now buy me nice cheese instead of cakes at birthdays and are used to me only eating the topping off pizza or the insides of a burger.

Hope you start to feel happier and more in control - all the very best, Jay :wave:

rosethorns
Fri, Nov-29-02, 15:27
Hi Danny I have had hypoglycemia for over 15 years. LCing is the best .i have done this for 3 months and feel the best i've in years. The first month was real rough, you just have to eat. I've notice a difference in my memory. But intelligence is not affected. Be careful with things like the wonder waffles i got sick all day but i fixed that. I just tried the LC bread and did very well . It was so good.Just be real careful. Also be careful with excersize keep it lite, I walk and go on my flyer. I use bands for strenght. And be careful with stress, that can trigger. Good luck Danny ESS

Danny_boi
Fri, Nov-29-02, 16:22
thanks for ur help everyone, i am going to the doctors on wensday for the 5th time, i plan 2 disscuss my hypoglycemia with my GP, maybe this time she wil take me seriously.

also i was just wondering if any hypoglycemics have a bloated feeling like air is trapped in the lower left abdomen area, i think it is the large intestine, just below the left side of the belly button, i get this feeling whenever i am hungry and usually after i eat and when i wake up at night, i was wondering if this problem is part of having hypoglycemia. does anyone else have this problem, this is what usually keeps me awake at night

catspaw
Sun, Dec-01-02, 20:21
What you describe doesn't sound like it would have any link to hypoglycemia. You may want to ask your doc about it.

kjturner
Mon, Dec-02-02, 07:31
It sounds to me as though you have an unhappy descending colon. I take L-glutamine and digestive enzymes (I use 'Total Enzymes' from Nutri-West) for that. I took a LOT of L-glutamine at first and it will produce a lot of 'sounds' in the gut (very embarrassing!) But that's a sign the L-glutamine is working. Eat a lot of leafy greens too. Try also adding wheat/barley grass 'green foods' (I use 'green magma' from GNC) It takes a little while, but your colon will thank you for it. You could also try getting 'flushed' out too (high colonic). There are low-carb fiber supplements too.