PDA

View Full Version : Chicken With Bacon, Cream And Thyme

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Howcross
Wed, Nov-27-02, 18:15
Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe033.html

Hi Karen. :wave:

I made this last night... almost followed the recipe. :)

Didn't have bonelss breasts; used bone-in thighs w/skin on.

Didn't have fresh thyme; used poultry seasoning blend (stop cringing... it was ok). Sprinkled that on one side, then did the bacon X and the browning and draining as directed.

Cooked the thighs longer, because they require more time than boneless breasts. Cooked them 40 minutes in broth only, then added the cream and cooked for 20 minutes more.

They were perfectly done, tender, and juicy and flavorful, but WAY too salty... almost coud not eat the sauce, and the chicken was pretty salty. I added no salt during cooking, did not put salt on the chicken. I think I must blame 1) Butterball chicken parts! I think they have been injected with "broth" that has salt and probably dextrose in it, and 2) canned chicken broth--regular, not reduced sodium. Those are the changes I would make next time: plain ol' chicken, and low-sodium or home-made stock.

Thanks for another fabulous meal! I had mine with fresh spinach sauteed very briefly in olive oil and garlic, with a little bit of red pepper flakes, and K had rice and a little of the spinach (she's not a big spinach fan). We were both very happy. :)