PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Effect ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marda
Wed, Nov-27-02, 00:07
Has anyone had success controlling the Dawn Effect without meds(blood sugar goes up overnight). My doc says don't worry because A1Cs are okay with low-carb diet, but I know it goes too high. Sometimes it's normal when I wake but goes to 120-140 by the time I'm ready to go to work (no food). Today I ate breakfast (about 10 1/2 carbs/see journal) and felt awful all morning. (I really do feel better when I don't eat until 11:30). BG went to 157 then dropped to 88 by 11:30 and normalized the rest of the day with low-carb eating. It was 91 at 10:30 this evening.

freydis
Wed, Nov-27-02, 00:52
Are you, by chance, eating late in the evening before this happens? I have this problem whenever I eat too soon before bedtime.

Marda
Wed, Nov-27-02, 07:26
Hmmm. I usually do snack late and eat dinner later than last night. Didn't have snack last night except for abt 4 oz carb of soymilk abt 11:00 pm, and this morning it is 89 ( a little lower than the reading last night (91). I'll check again before I go to work. Thanks. Do you tolerate breakfast well? Maybe if I eat earlier, and I don't have late evening snack I'll feel more like eating in the morning.

freydis
Wed, Nov-27-02, 11:21
Originally posted by Marda
Do you tolerate breakfast well? Maybe if I eat earlier, and I don't have late evening snack I'll feel more like eating in the morning.

Before I started Atkins, breakfast was my least tolerated meal of the day - I usually skipped it. Now, I usually eat something, though it may be leftovers from the night before. Almost the only breakfast food I can tolerate for breakfast is eggs - which I was allergic to prior to Atkins and can now eat as much as I want.

Definitely, if your stomach isn't digesting at night or your blood sugars are too high in the am, one way to combat that is to avoid eating near bedtime.

Marda
Wed, Nov-27-02, 21:07
I think that snacking late may be part of it. It's a real challenge tonight as I am hungry but I did really well today and :) my weight was down from 182 to 179 so I'm going make every effort not to snack. I will probably have a glass of soy milk (abt 6 grams with a peppermint tea bag in it and see how I do. My BG was 89 this am but forgot to check it when I got to work. Know it was pretty good though because I felt very good. Thanks