PDA

View Full Version : LC Bagels - bread machine

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

katiesmom
Tue, Nov-26-02, 11:14
Bagels
1/3 cup wheat bran
2 cups oat flour
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
2/3 cup whey protein or soy protein isolate
1 tsp guar gum
1 tsp baking soda
2 pks dry active yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp sugar for the yeast to feed

My bread machine calls for the liquid first, dry ingredients next with yeast & sugar last ( make a little well to put them in )
I use dough cycle, after rising shape into 12 bagels, poke hole in middle, let rise another 20 minutes or so, brush tops with water and sprinkle on any flavorings. I use sesame seeds with sea salt, onion flakes that have been rehydrated with water (can also add these during kneading cycle) grated asiago cheese, minced garlic or whatever. I stole this recipe off of another site and changed it a little. The original recipe boils the bagels before baking but I find they come out just fine without doing this. They're really good and easy. ECC carbs about 6 per bagel

Leigh b
Mon, Dec-02-02, 15:28
Hello Katiesmom
Thanks for the bagle recipe. Do you have a bread recipe that I can try. I bought my bread machine at the weekend but I am having a job finding a recipe that works :confused: Thanks
Leigh

katiesmom
Mon, Dec-02-02, 17:34
Hi Leigh,
Try this bread recipe:
1 pkg dry yeast
2 tsp sugar (for the yeast)
1 1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp olive oil
1 cup wheat gluten flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 tbsp splenda
1/2 cup flax seed meal
3 tbsp rye flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tsp salt
Put water and olive oil in bread machine first. Put dry ingredients in next with yeast and sugar last (make a little well for them). Run on whole wheat dark crust cycle.

Easy Bread Recipe:
1 cup wheat gluten flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 to 2/3 cup water
2 pkgs dry yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
My bread machine mfg.'s instructions are for liquid on bottom, dry on top, make a well for yeast and sugar. Start with 1/2 cup water, if to dry add a little more. Use whole wheat dark crust cycle. Happy baking!

mari3338
Tue, Dec-03-02, 07:09
katiesmom:
Thanks for the recipes...I can't seem to find LC bread where I live and I've been trying to go through my bread machine recipes trying to make them work but haven't had any luck yet so this is great!

Is the wheat gluton flour just wheat flour with gluten added? I have wheat gluten additive that I add to my wheat bread. Thanks!
Mari

Leigh b
Tue, Dec-03-02, 12:22
Katiesmom
Thankyou for the recipes. I cant wait to try them out.
Do you know how many carbs they have in them?
I also have to put the liquids in the machine first...So hopefully it should work. Thanks Leigh :)

katiesmom
Wed, Dec-04-02, 09:16
Mari,
Wheat gluten, usually called vital wheat gluten, is what you have when most of the starch is removed from wheat flour. In normal baking only a small amount is added to recipes. Because of the spongey texture it gives bread you need to mix it with other flours like oat, soy, almond, rye, and wheat bran and flax seed meal also help with the texture. I buy wheat gluten in the bulk section at my health food store, I've also seen Bob's Red Mill brand in the grocery store. It has 24 carbs per cup.
The easy bread recipe has 2g carbs with 18 slices, not sure about calories, and the other bread recipe has approx 2.6g carb per 18 slices. Just found another recipe:
2 cups oat flour
3/4 cup wheat gluten
1/4 cup ground sunflour seeds (or half sesame & sunflower)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp rapid rise yeast
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any so I used watered down sour cream)
1 cup warm water (more or less..enough to form a ball)

I had my bread machine mix, knead and rise the bread, then I baked it in my oven at 350 in a larger loaf pan(30-45 min)
If you can get 35 slices out of a large loaf it's 4g carb.
I really liked this recipe.

jiskiyan
Sat, Dec-21-02, 17:14
Hi there.

I was unable to find guar gum, but found Xanthan Gum. Is is permissable to use these ingredients interchangably, do you know?

Thank you for your time.

Jill in Phoenix

SupahSteph
Sun, Dec-22-02, 16:35
Hi katiesmom!

I was just wondering how long to bake the bagels in the oven... and what the temperature should be.

Thank you! I can not wait to make these bagels...

-Steph

katiesmom
Tue, Dec-24-02, 08:52
Hi,
Sorry I forgot to put in that baking time. I bake mine at 325 for about 20 minutes, my oven runs a little hot. They do tend to brown quite a bit on the bottom so using some parchment paper to line the pan might be a good idea.
I have both guar and xanthan gum. I don't really know if they're interchangeable, I use guar for thickening hot foods, and the xanthan will thicken cold liquids. I'd try the xanthan gum in there and see how it goes.