PDA

View Full Version : Help~

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:04
I have been doing great all week........food wise and even started going to Curves.........but I really blew it today..........baked cookies and ate 3 of them........practically all sugar. Ok......*deep breath*............that was bad..........but I don't want to beat myself up but what do I do now.....??? That was the first time I broke CAD.........what do I do for the remainder of the day??

I know I am going to crave sweets now like crazy......and be very hungry where before this I wasn't.

Any suggestions?? Please?

luv67fire
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:33
I dont know if this is the right answer, but i know I personally would treat those cookies as a RM and just eat a CM later on. But again, I don't know if that is the right way to do it.

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:39
Hey Cassie~
That's what I was thinkig too........makes sense.........what a rip off of a rm meal!! *L* I guess that will learn me, durn me~

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:45
Just putting my thoughts in here...

I cheated the other day because I had my Reward Meal at lunch instead of dinner, thinking that I would just have a CM for dinner. Didn't work out. Ended up having pizza because my body is so used to eating at that time. I would suggest not skipping your RM, because you're going to be starving tomorrow or later tonight, and just chalk it up as a "cheat".

Just my opinion....

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:55
I know I will be hungry, I'm hungry NOW!! Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Not being hungry feels so good!!,,,,,,,,,,I could just kick my own behind for cheating at all.........
I feel like I am constantly having to relearn the same lessons.........over and over again!

JudyTrue
Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:10
Hey Allura:

Stop being a punching bag already!!! We're only human and sh*t happens. Why don't you just wait until later today to see how you feel? Your body will probably give you the answer if the guilt screaming at you would just quiet down! I do think that if it was me, I'd probably just eat a CM with plenty of protein which should get you through the night just fine.

Hang in there, kiddo! :wave:

Zuleikaa
Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:12
We all stumble and fall. The point is to get back up again and move on. I would have CMs for the rest of the day. If you need an extra CM or a CS, have it.

Everyone. Don't let unexpected snacks/goodies throw you. Keep plastic bags containers handy. You can always take some and save it for your RM. It's a lot better than beating yourself up or suffering the hunger/cravings when you go off plan.

nawchem
Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:27
Hi Allura,
Last week I had 5 days in a row of bingeing before I realized the AS bothered me. The 2 things that helped me get out of it was not eating carbs, which would set me off again. I bought a rotisserie chicken and nibbled on that a lot so I stayed too full for the craving to get to me so bad. Also a good nights sleep got rid of the cravings and I could start fresh the next day.

Its actually been a motivating experience because I fully see how addicted I am and how much I need to follow the program. You probably are seeing this too.

Well, the Hellers say over and over again its not your fault, this is the body you were given. So don't feel like you have some character problem because you were less than perfect. Ok?

Nancy

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:37
Thanks everyone~
Judy~ *s* Ok.........*taking the gloves off* I keep thinking my mind knows better than my body........I am finding this not to be the case~

Zuleika~
I know the sugar is not worth it...........just reinforces the fact that I am a total addict. I either have total control or no control.......but I am standing~ Thanks~ Good luck tomorrow, there are a lot of people sending out good wishes to the powers that be for you~

Nancy
Thanks very much. I do need the program, I know that and I know I am not nor ever will be perfect..........but I'd like to be~ *s* Maybe~ :) Thanks for sharing what happened last week, it really did help. I hate to sound like a whiner but I just felt so.........ready to run the other way~
I think I'll eat a chicken too! ;)

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-21-02, 11:45
Originally posted by AlluraD
I feel like I am constantly having to relearn the same lessons.........over and over again! [/B]

Me too... I think we all feel that way. But we're in this for the long haul, right? So we're bound to make a few slips along the way. This forum has helped me in so many ways so far. It's nice to be able to turn to people who will understand.

Here's to a better day tomorrow. :)

RedLisaP
Thu, Nov-21-02, 14:41
I tend to cheat mostly on weekends. Not bingeing really, but just having two CM's instead of one, or going past the 1 hour, or having a "bad" snack because dammit the frig is right there and it's calling my name.

It *is* hard to recover from those cheats, but we really need to pick ourselves up and move on, like Zuleikaa said. It's not the end of the world, it's just a minor set back.

Just think how bad you feel now and that you don't want to feel that way again!

Put a smile on and try to be a good girl from now on :-) !

luv67fire
Thu, Nov-21-02, 14:51
A person is strong if they can stay on the horse.

But a person is even stronger when they can get up, dust themselves off, and get back on after falling off.

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-21-02, 15:14
Just wanted to let you guys know how wonderful it is to have your encouragment and support~ Thanks very much~ :)

need2bthi2
Thu, Nov-21-02, 17:07
Allura

I think the Hellers make reference in their book to See it, Smell it & want it. They say that the smell of things like bread and cookies baking can set of insulin releases. I dont bake cookies or anything like that for that reason. Dont beat yourself up about it. Remember the big picture. You have lost some amazing weight girl :cheer:

skyspinner
Thu, Nov-21-02, 18:06

snip what do I do now.....??? That was the first time I broke CAD.........what do I do for the remainder of the day??

snip

Get right back on track and forget it. Someone suggests that you make this your RM, and that rocks for me!

Hey, this is a lifetime deal and there aren't many job openings for saints anywhere around here, ya know? The important thing is to learn from this and not cry "mea culpa", 'cause there ain't no culpa......it's just the way your body works.

When I want cookies, I reach into the freezer and pull out 3-4 nuggets of cookie dough I made w/ real butter and chocolate chips and walnuts or cinnamon and hazelnuts, and I bake for RM and eat 'em hot. That's how I handle it....YMMV. :)

tokenyanke
Thu, Nov-21-02, 18:51
I think we all give in sooner or later to that horrible "cheat". I've done Atkins for 10 months and did great for a long long time, but then when my weight kept going up and down and back up again, I started to give in now and then. I'd feel bad afterward, but I was so ticked off that at the same time I didn't care, ya know?

This is my 3rd day on CALP. I'm down 1 lb but at still 2 lbs above the 161 I have posted. I have been going so much from 160-165 lately that it drives me nuts. At one time I was down to 154 before I started working more with weights. I have muscle, but still have the same old fat covering it!

So far, the CALP is working well. I have to remind myself not to snack, though...

I baked cookies the other night but I made the dough ahead of time and refrigerated it and baked them during my RM so that way I could enjoy one without feeling bad! So, that is going to be my "plan of action"(I use to work for Jenny Craig and learned to plan ahead. I lost over 25# on that program until I got stuck where I'm at and have battled for the past 3 years but just can't shake anymore off!).

Anyway, try not to beat yourself up over your cheat. Instead, try to visualize how you will handle a similar situation the next time you are faced with it. Soldiers don't go to battle unarmed!!!

cindi

AlluraD
Fri, Nov-22-02, 05:49
You are wise beyond your years my friend~ :)

AlluraD
Fri, Nov-22-02, 05:54
Thanks cindi~
That would be the thing to do.....plan.........."cheating" is such an emotional reaction to me.......but I am back on track today and feeling okay. The cookie idea from you and skyspinner is a good one.
Was just wondering yesterday............if this is a true addiction, and I would stake my life that it is, than isn't it like other addictions in that you have to abstain from whatever it is you are addicted to?? I don't know..........was feeling wonderful on CAD and am going to keep the faith........but just wondered about that aspect of it~

tokenyanke
Fri, Nov-22-02, 09:06
In my opinion, I do think we need to restrain as much as possible from the things we are addicted to. It's hard with food and carbs because they are such a big part of everyday life! So, I find it's best to try to keep them in moderation. I am only allowing myself a sweet treat twice a week. The other days I stick with things like bread or potatoes. I've been on Atkins for so long that the worst of my carb cravings are controlled so as long as I don't allow myself to have them everyday, I should be fine.

AlluraD
Fri, Nov-22-02, 09:21
cindi~
Being a transplanted New Yorker I love the nick~ *LOL*
I think you are right.......sensible..........moderation ~
Thanks~*s*

nawchem
Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:10
I'm finding the same thing, if I have Mexican, or Chinese or ice cream I will overeat and crave and I never seem to find the balance. If I have pasta or rice, or chocolate I do fine. If I leave the vegetables out or don't have enough protein I think I end up with cravings too.

BTW: what is the nick?

tokenyanke
Fri, Nov-22-02, 10:47
Hey!

I'm also a transplant of New York... I'm from the country... grew up on a farm in Dryden (between Ithaca and Syracuse)!! Pretty cool, eh?

The nickname comes from my mother-in-law. My hubby was born and raised in NC, so I am the yankee in the family and she has always told everyone that I am the "token yankee of the family". :roll:

As for my sweet tooth.... I just know that if I got in the habit of having some every RM, I would get back out of control again. There is just something about it that does me in!

AlluraD
Fri, Nov-22-02, 13:31
I'm from Groton!! What a cool coincidence!!

tokenyanke
Fri, Nov-22-02, 13:57
Groton!!!! Wow... our big rival in high school! What a small world! That is just too cool!

My family still lives there. I miss them but not the cold!

AlluraD
Fri, Nov-22-02, 14:11
That is too cool, such a small world really~ I brought my children up there........I have two sons that are in college in NY....Troy......I have family in Elmira. I do miss it.......at least compared to the lack of seasonal changes here in fla. Fall color, apple picking, strawberries.........waterfalls........archemedes attic for x-mas shopping~
It's nice to meet you~ *s*

tokenyanke
Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:07
That's so neat... I have so many cool memories of NY even if I don't like the cold.

I lived there till my son was 3... he turns 20 next week. With the exception of 3 years that we lived in MI, I have lived 9 years in NC and 5 in SC(within 30 mile area... I work in NC).

I have a step son that lives with us who is 15 and 2 step daughters that live with their mother. They are 14(twins). Then also a grown step daughter who is 19.

skyspinner
Fri, Nov-22-02, 16:39
Thanks cindi~
That would be the thing to do.....plan.........."cheating" is such an emotional reaction to me.......but I am back on track today and feeling okay. The cookie idea from you and skyspinner is a good one.
Was just wondering yesterday............if this is a true addiction, and I would stake my life that it is, than isn't it like other addictions in that you have to abstain from whatever it is you are addicted to?? I don't know..........was feeling wonderful on CAD and am going to keep the faith........but just wondered about that aspect of it~

Hope it helps ya! :)

On the addiction issue, I really do not believe that the Hellers have chosen exactly the right term to describe "hyperinsulinism", which is really the name of what we call "carbohydrate addiction". It's not like heroin or tobacco in that you cannot actually never ever have it again. We eat carbs our whole lives long. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors set us up to need carbs in our diet, usually every day.

You can't do that w/ a true addiction....you can't have one cigarette a day and feel wonderful. You can't snort heroin (or drink it or whatever you do w/ it) a couple times a week and feel well. Those kinds of substances escalate and create a need in you that is referred to as "addiction". If you avoid the substance, you avoid the addiction. Carbs aren't exactly like that.

IMHO, what we are trying to do is to control our insulin spikes. Maybe thinking of it in that way might make better sense.

Just my two cents' worth. :)

skyspinner
Fri, Nov-22-02, 16:42
Originally posted by nawchem
I'm finding the same thing, if I have Mexican, or Chinese or ice cream I will overeat and crave and I never seem to find the balance. If I have pasta or rice, or chocolate I do fine. If I leave the vegetables out or don't have enough protein I think I end up with cravings too.

BTW: what is the nick?

This sounds as if MSG may be the culprit here.....have you read the parts of the book that talk about MSG and "carbohydrate act-alikes"?

BTW: Yeah, what IS the nick? :lol:

tokenyanke
Fri, Nov-22-02, 18:47
Hey Skyspinner,

That is a good description, I think. At least it makes a lot of sense to me and I know that different carbs are gonna cause different levels of insulin spikes, so I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

The nickname comes from my mother-in-law. My hubby was born and raised in NC, so I am the yankee in the family and she has always told everyone that I am the "token yankee of the family".