PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone! New to Low Carb, Really Excited About it!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:09
I am really really excited about this! I have found a new hope, and I am so happy in just that. I had my husband take a picture of me yesterday, something I hate having done, but through all the many articles and success stories I have read, came the confidence that I could do it too. So I am looking forward to my own journey and success!!

Kristine
Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:10
Hi and welcome! :wave: A lot of people hate the pictures, but they're an excellent motivational tool. And just think of when you'll be able to put a cool 'after' picture beside it!

So have you started yet? Got a fridge full of veggies, eggs and meats? ;) Feel free to start a journal, it's an easy way of getting feedback, if you want it. :thup:

Enjoy!

Iowagirl
Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:11
Welcome and good luck! There is a lot of information on this site and if you don't find it - just ask! :D

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:29
:) Thank you, Thank you...yes, I started yesterday, and just so I knew my awful top weight I walked to my dads house just to step on the scale, then walked back home....I don't own a scale so I don't have the temptation to weigh myself every morning and afternoon. The weirdest thing is that eating this LC type food, is sooo against everything I have learned. All my life the only way I could control my weight was to hardly eat, *that's no fun at all*, so if I ate 3 "normal" meals a day like everyone said you should, I gained weight..and I mean QUICKLY....On my last climb up the scale, after I lost interest in depriving myself of food, I literally gained on average 4-5 pounds a week till I was back up to 190, then it tapered off till I just recently hit 210 pounds...which totally depresses me. I cant stand looking in the mirror, not that I hate myself, I just am so disappointed. A co-worker of mine kept talking about Low Carbohydrate diets, and I kept dismissing him...till I saw the MSNBC report...I went directly to google, came to this site and read, read, read, read, and I'm still reading....I have found new hope, and thought it worth a serious try, I gave up trying the old way...I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!!

DWRolfe
Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:55
Welcome to the forum!

We’re glad you found us and welcome your participation.

For me, participation in the forum is an essential component in my LC WOE. I find the kind of information, support and community here that I need to reach my weight loss and better health goals. I hope you will too.

I’d also like to invite you to stop by the Triple Digits Club, for people with 100+ lbs to lose. While you may or may not need to lose as much as others there, you’ll find the threads full of inspiration. We hold back nothing.

Good luck on your LC journey!

Donald

Iowagirl
Wed, Nov-20-02, 11:13
Here's a tip - start to take your measurements. Those scales are evil and don't always move when they should! By measuring your body (arms, legs, waist, thighs, whatever) once a month, you will notice results. Lots of us keep a pair of tight pants around, too. A pair that you can get into now but wouldn't be doing any deep knee bends in - then try them on again in a week of two. Do they feel differently? Can you breathe, now?! Before you know it, you'll be sporting the latest fashion (waist band down around the knees) and won't THAT be a wonderful feeling?!

We've all had to overcome the garbage of a lifetime. Garbage we've been told (ie. food pyramid, low fat diets) and garbage we've eaten (sugar, carbs, overly processed food...). But just remember, it IS garbage and this works. Works for us, works for you, works for people all over the world as you can see by this website. (I have a co-worker that lost 116# and still going!)

By the way, do you exercise? You may find an initial "drag" as your body gets used to lc. After that (should be 3 days maybe) your energy will increase. What will you do then? I suggest a nice walk around the block! A swim, a bike ride - the possibilities are endless and your body will thank you for it.

Have a good day!

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 12:42
:) Thanks Donald, and I've wondered what WOE stands for?? I'm sure the answer is all around, but it keeps eluding me.

:) Thats a great idea Iowagirl, (who probably isn't too far from me) I will measure myself, I hadn't given that much thought, but that's more meaningful than how much I weigh. I do feel a little bit different, could be in my head *s*, or maybe it is to do with LC. I sure did enjoy my breakfast and lunch today though!!! As far as exercise, I do go for walks, which is something I enjoy.

sam59
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:42
Welcome! Have you started a journal yet? I find some of the best hints, tips, menu ideas and inspiration in reading others, but mine keeps me on the straight and narrow.

There are lots of us that will keep an eye on you!...lol

Sam

Iowagirl
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:53
WOE or WOL - way of eating, way of life

Hope you have a place to walk indoors - or are you already in a winter wonderland? (snow predicted for these parts tomorrow - yeah!!!)

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:54
Thanks Sam, no I haven't started a journal, Kristine mentioned that too..guess I'm not sure of how to start one or what to do with it...

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:58
No winter wonderland yet...in fact today feels like spring, but I am ready for some snow, last winter didn't really count, everytime it would snow, it melted away, reminded me of being out east or something. Thanks for the definitions!

Iowagirl
Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:17
I've never posted a journal here, either, but I think the thread you go to probably has instructions. A paper journal is good, too. Better in my opinion as it is something you can keep around the house and access anytime. I do have my own notebook, write out my plans, progress, goals, etc. Sometimes increases your level of commitment to write it down.

We didn't have much snow last year, either. I think I was the only one bummed about it, though. My theory is you know you're getting old when you don't like snow! :D

Just figured out your name, by the way - how does 30 feel? (I'm 35 - closing in on 36.....starting to look a little closer at that Oil of Olay bottle :eek: )

sam59
Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:25
I, on the other hand, have cornered the market on Oil of Olay...lol.

To start a journal go to boot camp....there are instructions there.

Read some of the others and see what they do, but just do what you want! I always list my food for the day...and my goals. Good place to moan and complain.

Visit mine when you get up and running...and let me know, I'll pop over and keep an eye on ya!

Sam

omgiam30
Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:35
:spin: 30 Physically Feels OK,,,,its just mentally knowing I am 30 years old, and not 20 something...I truly can't believe I am 30. I remember not so long ago when i was 18ish, I thought 30 was old, and here I am. I don't feel old!!! *well, maybe a wee few times* I moisturize the heck out of my face already with Mary Kay, and I'm getting those lines around my eyes...nothing major yet. I know, most people around these parts complain about snow...I think they must really like it deep down, or they would have moved south by now *laugh*

:roll: I'll look into it Sam, the journal that is...*s*

Iowagirl
Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:49
I like Mary Kay, too. Sam? (don't worry - I don't sell it!)

It's funny - I don't see any wrinkles on my face. Make no mistake, I'm sure they are there - I just don't see them! :p Did notice my best friend is starting to show HER age (she's 2 weeks older than me) LOL.

And while we're on the topic of aging....I find for the first time in my life, wondering if I am "too old" for certain fashion items. And of course, there are things I REFUSE to wear at any time (bell bottoms - had some in grade school, never going back). I overheard some co-workers talking about hair. "Yes, I had long hair in my 30's but now that I'm 40 it just didn't look right" :confused: I'm certainly no slave to fashion but then again, nobody wants to be the old guy in the leisure suit, still trying to dance at the club.

sam59
Wed, Nov-20-02, 14:57
Well if you go to my journal and have a read, you will see that hair is an issue for me....but this happened to me recently, and will perhaps demonstrate how much of a rebel I am...lol.

I'm 43 years old....have always thought my attitude was young for my age. No one ever guesses that I am as old as I am, but a while ago someone actually told me that I was too old now to wear my hair so long. It was just past shoulders I guess.

Well the man in my life who love my long blonde hair, told me to tell her to mind her own ~&%#~*&$% business....lol. It's to the middle of my back now.....and I have no intention of cutting it.

You are just a pup dear...wear it how you like it!

Sam

** You are only as old as the person you are feeling** :blush:

omgiam30
Thu, Nov-21-02, 07:02
I know how you feel about bell bottoms :daze: ...I have not so good memories from wearing them in grade school also....when they were OUT of style! Needless to say, I don't own a pair...I figure they should go back out of style sometime soon. Who's idea I wonder is it to bring fashions back...somebody has to start it.

I think you should wear your hair any ol way that ya like. Mine is just past my shoulders...however, I wish I could wear it short....I can't until I have lost atleast 60 pounds. I mean I could, but I have this "chin extension", that never used to be there, *laugh* and it looks bad on a profile....so I go with long hair for now.

Iowagirl
Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:41
Funny that you want to cut your hair. My best friend had blonde hair to the middle of her back and now has a Joan Lunden cut. I still do a double take, even a year later.
I don't care for short hair on myself. I cut it just above my shoulders when I was pregnant with my first child - my head was so round, I looked like Charlie Brown. It is now about 2 inches below my shoulder and I love it. Still blonde, too - with a little help!

I've decided to follow your advice about dressing the way I want. I'm sitting here in my thong, clearly visible in my low-slung pants, a spandex white top (black bra) and my hair is in corn rows. :eek: Just kidding!

HLFAN
Thu, Nov-21-02, 18:04
Welcome to a great site. I can't encourage you enough to buy some LC books. My favourites are Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (which everyone calls DANDR) and The Schwarbein Principle (TSP).
There are many more but these give amazing detail about the health benefits of LC. Also, try reading the Media Watch forum for the newest studies.

All the best to you and see ya later, Nancy :wave: