PDA

View Full Version : Atkins -> CAD! Horrah!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Link_nz
Tue, Nov-19-02, 18:13
Hi there

I've been on Atkins for close to two months and I’m bored sick of the food! plus kinda stalled in a rut. I started to read this forum and booyah! I've found my calling, and its CAD. I'm going to buy the book tonight.

Question 1.

I work out 3 times a week and drink a whey protein drink afterwards and I mix in 2 tsp of L-glutamine. Must this stop? Or can I use it as one of my CM’s (it also contains a small amount of aspartame-k.)

Question 2.

Is CAD low cal (I know essentially my Atkins was low cal because I ate 1800-2000 cals a day and compared to my pre LC ways that’s low cal.)
If its not burning Ketones, and its not low cal, how does it work ;)?

Question 3.

Whilst drinking alcohol (something 20-year-old blokes like myself do once a week) should I try and get pissed in 1 hour?) LOL!

Question 4.

Is CAD a lot lower fat than Atkins I notice people saying CM’s are protein and lc veges. So I get from that that CM’s are not supposed to be 75% fat like Atkins meals ;)

I am gonna buy the CAD & the CALP books tonight so I may get some questions answered but hay, cheers anyway, and I cant wait for my 1st RM!!!!! (I’m gonna wait until I’ve read the book before I start.)

Regards.

-jake

Zuleikaa
Tue, Nov-19-02, 19:23
Jake
Yes, If you want to get drunk, you must do it in an hour. I hope you have food with that because it counts as your reward meal and you are supposed to have food, too. On this diet you cannot cheat. If you cheat, you are on a regular high fat/high carb WOE and that puts on pounds!

Fat is not limited on CAD/CALP. You can use olive oil, butter, mayonaise, salad dressings, sour cream.

You might be able to have the whey protein. It depends how many carbs are in it and if you are sensitive to sugar substitutes. If you can use it, it counts as a CM.

When you get the book, take the test. The diet is for carbohydrate addicts only, those that get an excessive insulin release after ingesting carbs.

CAD/CALP is not low cal or low carb though many on the diets are in ketosis sometimes. It works by controlling insulin levels. Insulin controls hunger and fat storage. High insulin=no fat release. Low/no insulin=fat burning.

If you are a carbohydrate addict (CA), welcome!

Link_nz
Tue, Nov-19-02, 21:33
I've been on Atkins for close to 2 months without cheating? What makes you think im suddenly going to start?

I'm just looking ahead and realising i cant/wont continue to eat the way Atkins has set out.

Plus I don’t think the plan is perfect for me, I don’t get the added “energy” that most people do on Atkins. Plus I’m on a stall, even if I just do a little plan rotation that cant be a bad thing.

Unfortunately I was unable to find CAD/CALP in my local book store or library so will have to buy it online, this will take some time :)

plum
Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:37
hi Jake.
If Atkins suits you, dont despair. Re read the bit on Maintainance and you'll see you build up your foods some more as you go into Maintainance.

or read through some journals ...DWRolfes springs to mind... for new menu ideas.

you may be interested to look up http:/www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/
where they have a little test to take to see if you fit the profile. Its not as big as in the book.......

the only other thing is, I did start CAD the day before I read the book, as reading around this CAD forum gave me so much info.
best of luck.

Zuleikaa
Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:46
Jake

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you cheat or would cheat on CAD. Just had to give the warning. Shark used to cycle Atkins with CAD on a regular basis and it worked well for him, you could do the same. Whatever you decide, good luck!

As Plum said, there is enough information on the CAD/CALP forum that you could start immediately and the test on the CAD website is handy.

Link_nz
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:43
5 - 7 Your score indicates that you are moderately addicted to carbohydrates. At times you may be able to control your eating but you may find that stress, premenstrual changes, tiredness, boredom, unexpressed anger or pressure may increase your carbohydrate cravings.

I scored 7.

I started last night, it was great. I feel better today than i have in months.

I thought you were supposed to feel crap if you ate carbs coming off atkins? I didnt feel bad at all!?

The Ice Cream was great ;)

-jake

Zuleikaa
Wed, Nov-20-02, 16:22
Jake

You have found the secret of CAD/CALP for carb addicts that fit the Hellers' profile. The relief and feeling of peace is amazingly freeing for CAs. No more hunger, no more cravings and CAs don't get sick off of carbs.

Welcome to the family! Stay true to the Way.

Link_nz
Wed, Nov-20-02, 17:31
Thankyou Zuleikaa :D

I considered that the test. "If i feel terrible after these carbs then I’m not gonna do it"

Now what to have for dinner... :D

I think going from Atkins to CAD is probably the most liberating feeling in the world.
I’m pleased I did Atkins though, it taught me a lot about low carbing.

:wave:

-jake

JoaniePA
Tue, Nov-26-02, 11:35
Hi Jake,

I feel exactly as you do about starting with Atkins. I did Atkins for 3 years and learned how to low carb so well that it's instinctive now. It really helps tremendously with the CM because it's really no different than what I did before. I will say, however, that I scored an 8 in the quick test, so I'm borderline severe and it is not necessarily true for everyone that the carbs at the RM don't effect how you feel. They really do for me. If I go over that 1/3 plateful of high carb foods I get a nasty rush. But the cravings for more, more, more, more, don't seem to appear so it's pretty easy for me to control myself in the high carb portions.

Yep, it is liberating. A 'lil scoop of ice cream or a potato with my steak is just so peachy!

Joanie

penelope
Tue, Nov-26-02, 11:59
Hi Jake, :)
I have a supply of whey protein and I wondered if you are using yours as a breakfast on CAD
I would like to start but only if I can use it for breakfast
Now that your are on CAD what do you eat for breakfast?
Like you I never cheat on Atkins so I am kind of spooked at the idea of change.
Please tell me.
Pene

yvonne326
Tue, Nov-26-02, 12:15
I was on Atkins for 7 months and lost 27 lbs but the last month or so I was physically feeling less energetic, bored, and found myself "cheating" more often. So I decided to buy the book (CAD) and decided on 11/13 to try CAD. Well I am proud to say that I have no carb cravings, I physcially feel better than I had and I feel "normal" when eating dinner with my family (who do not have a weight problem). I know that I can get thru the holidays now with little risk.

Link_nz
Tue, Nov-26-02, 13:29
I have protein shakes after my work outs, with L-glutamine.

I dont have breakfast most mornings :(