PDA

View Full Version : New

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mean rn
Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:42
Hello all. I have been on Atkins twice both times it worked, but for some reason I did not/could not stick with it. I feel like such a faliure. I truly believe that i am totally addicted to Carbs, much like a smoker or alcoholic both of which i have quit. Those you do not need to live but you must eat. I am 49, male, work as a Rn. I must lose weight for my health and self esteem. So all that said HI.

Lillysmom
Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:24
I am new to this forum also - love it!!! have been here for about two weeks now . Have gained alot - not lbs. but support. In my life - I also was on Atkins before and did well with it a long time ago - . What I have found out now is that one main missing ingredient was 'support' - well we sure will get it here and so much practical info and encouragement it is awsome!!!

Just curious - why did you think you could not stick to Atkins before? are you vegetarian? or just a 'carb addict' - either one I understand as I have and are both -- but I have found with lcarbing that those cravings disappear. Also - here there is such a variety of recipies given that it gives you the variety that I always needed . Not that I've tried much of them yet - but they are here --- I have picked up a few simple variations on eggs for example - (breakfast ) that has helped me . And --- tons of possibilities - possibilities help -- they bring hope and God do we need hope --

Happy to see you here --- have you started your journal ??

:wave: -- Talk to you later

mean rn
Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:37
I think i could not stick to Atkins before because of addicition. I thought just 1 bagle,cookie,slice of pizza....... would not hurt. That is where i had problems. I also did not vary my foods very much i work 12 hour shifts so i usually take all my meals with me. I need to find a variety of foods to use not the same things over and over. I used the excuse that the food was boring which was my own fault. I need to find new recipes. Paul

lkonzelman
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:24
You can do this but you really need to get through your induction cheat free. CHEAT FREE is really important.

Plan Plan Plan (did I tell you to plan?) - Make some things you enjoy eating! Make your own salads (chicken, tuna, shrimp with lots of mayo), have cut up pepperoni, sliced cheeses (remember though only 3-4 oz a day), cut up some veggies and dip them in real dressing or fill them with cream cheese...

Go to a drive thru and get a double cheeseburger with no ketshup (and throw out that roll).

Check out the forum for recipes- Check out peoples journals to see what they are eating.

After induction your hunger will be much more managable and you will have more control.

Just remember - EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY. This really is a great way of eating for people like us who are always hungry!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

sam59
Mon, Nov-18-02, 15:05
Do you have access to a microwave at work? I cook on Sundays and haul stuff with me to work. I posted a recipe for great chicken patties on my journal. I take them for breakfast, lunch or dinner....cold or hot. Also there a recipe for soup that freezes well and I bring it to work.

My best suggestion is to read the journals, you will find lots of great suggestions and see what other people like yourself take along with them.

Good luck, you started in the right place!

Sam

Rosebud
Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:06
G'day Paul, welcome!

I, too take my meals to work. I have access to a microwave, so I make up my dinners (only work evenings), put them in a microwave dish and off I go.

I also take my trusty water bottle with me, and keep it near me to keep swigging away as often as possible.

Paul, while you're checking out all that this great place has to offer, have a read of "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen. Lots of helpful info there.

Cheers, mate.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: (another RN ;) )

Kristine
Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:30
Hi and welcome! :wave:

I'm a med lab technician. I think a big contributing factor to my blood sugar problems was my six month stint on the midnight shift last year - there's nothing to eat from hospital vending machines except CARBS. :rolleyes: So I feel your pain.

Best of luck 'sticking to it': I found that simply being on a roll was my best motivation. Going off the wagon simply isn't worth the physical discomfort anymore. :thdown: Virtually everything I might cheat on can be replaced or at least 'damage-controlled' without actually cheating.

Enjoy!