PDA

View Full Version : New and confused

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

FatBoySlim
Sat, Nov-16-02, 20:06
Hi all

first i would like to say that I am totaly new to this Idear of Locarb intake dieting...

I have found this comunity by chance as I heard about the Atkins diet on the TV and looked into it on the web and found you all..

As of right now I do not have a diet plan but wish to find one suitable the only things that may interfear with this is as follows

1/. I am class 2 diabetic
2/. I am limited with exercise as I have back problems and find it very painful to stand for longer than a few seconds.
3/. Due to my health I have been out of work some 2 yrs now and funds are not vast..

but apart from that I'm dead keen to try and loose this damn weight .

many thx
John aka FatBoySlim

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-16-02, 22:13
John, hi and welcome to the forum :)

Being a Type II diabetic you'll probably find that LC offers you great control of your blood sugar. I advise you strongly to have a look through the "Diabetes / blood sugar" sub forum off of the Health forums; you'll find that many Type I and II diabetics are using LC to successfully control insulin and lost fat.

I would also urge you to have a look through the link on the right hand margin of every page "Which Low Carb Plan is Right for Me?" - you'll find many of the plans described in brief with sample menus. Atkins is there, as is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

We also have a Triple Digits Forum designed for those with more than 100 lbs to lose, another forum worth a boo.

Whichever plan you choose, get a copy of the book and make it your new best friend. Knowledge is power.

Cheers,
Nat

jude
Sat, Nov-16-02, 22:25
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum ! You'll find oceans of help here from people all over the world.

I've been doing Atkins for almost 4 months and I can honestly say that low carb is a way of eating that I can enjoy for the rest of my life. (Not like low fat, when you're always waiting for the time when you can eat "normally" again.)

Be sure to check out "Hot Links" in the Newbies section. It's a list of threads about several subjects we've discussed, including grocery shopping on a budget.

And it's also a good idea for you to register at Fitday where you can keep track of the food you eat, as well as the fat/protein/carbs ratios (s/b about 70/25/5%)

Good Luck with your new WOL (way of life).

judy

FatBoySlim
Sun, Nov-17-02, 04:10
Thank You very much for your kind welcome and advice
I will endevour to do all that has been sugested and hopefully see some results in the near future :)

Geta_carbo
Sun, Nov-17-02, 12:37
Hi... :wave:

I can hear your burning desire to slim down loud and clear! My two cents worth is worth about ...two cents... but I thought that I would put it in any how!

It's so hard for me to follow a stringent program where there are lots of rules to follow and requires measuring stuff! I simplified things by realizing:

:bash: !. NO ONE can force me to lift the spoon (or fork) up to my mouth!

:rolleyes: 2. Low Carbohydrate eating plans do not restrict the amount of food that I can consume, just the types of foods.

:roll: 3. I will learn to enjoy the foods that will make the pounds go away.

4. I have a vision and and a plan to achieve a goal that is a one step at a time process. I will start today and take a step in the right direction ...one or two or even a half a step ...every day to reach that goal. NO ONE can divert me off of the path. The words of "do gooders" will fall on deaf ears!

Empowered with these thoughts I began a restricted diet of 60 or less carbohydrates as a daily maximum allowable carb intake.

It's working! I mean if you want to eat an entire chicken ... go for it! At a local restaurant they had all the bacon you could eat ...Special ... on the breakfast menu. I must have eaten a pound at each sitting ... and lost weight that day...

The strange thing is that you lose the craving for large amounts of food when you know that you can have them!

I must confess that I don't know a thing about your medical issues...but I don't think that any there are special eating programs that "require" that we eat carbohydrates.

I haven't touched a piece of bread in a month other than to make someone else a sandwich! For me bread is the enemy! I have 60 carbs a day to get creative with...half a bannana....half a baked potatoe... a peach in my cottage cheeze. I honestly don't see how an eating plan that restricts carbs to 20 or less would work for ME. Although there are days when I don't use up all of my allocation..

A Doctor gave me a plan to lose weight that included 2 pieces of bread a day and two pieces of fruit...oatmeal etc., and after faithfully staying the course for three weeks I had gained 5 pounds! I have been thin and I hate being not thin! This past weight gain (as I yo-yoed a lot!) was the ultimate!

NO self worth is an understatement. I summoned up the courage to look in the mirror and then I saw a vision of what I would like to have staring back at me. I affirmed that I would start at that moment to make that vision materialize.

:spin: GO FOR THE GUSTO...you can do it... the forums that you"ll find at this site are filled with messages and tips to make your journey easier and the folks who participate will lift your spirits if you are having "one of those days." My advice, if you were to boil it down is, "keep it simple"...you sound so motivated ...I wish you success! :wave: :wave:

CindySue48
Sun, Nov-17-02, 16:46
2/. I am limited with exercise as I have back problems and find it very painful to stand for longer than a few seconds.

John

I too have had back problems for over 20 years. I've been to all the docs. Have arthritis with bone spurs in my neck, lower back and pelvis.

About exercise, I do have some recomendations.

Can you walk? It hurts to stand still, but how about walking? If able, start walking as much as possible. And move your body as much as possible.

Start off slow...you don't want to reinjure yourself. If you find that you're stiff when you first stand, but loosen up in a short time, then walking is probably the best thing you can do. The move you move, the less stiff you'll feel, so you'll feel like moving more.

Start walking short distances. Around your house is good. It's better to be on wood flooring or, even better, "natural" surfaces like grass and dirt. If you can walk 10 feet, do that several tiems a day. After a few days increase the distance....just a little at at time. Remember to stop and rest if you start to have pain or other difficulty.

Get up and move around frequently, even if it's just to stand, move around and sit again. I generally do not sit for more than 20 min, if possible, without moving around. At times, like driving or being in a meeting, it's impossible to move around, but I do set a time limit of 2 hours.

If you stick with this you might be surprised how you can advance. I was almost wheelchair bound. Two years before my son was born I was told I'd be in a wheelchair within 2-3 years, due to the problems with my back. My son just turned 18....and I'm still walking! Since then I've been to just about every type of doc, and did get some relief, but never enough. It's taken my many years, but I've finally back to where I'm able to work on getting myself into shape.

It's very important to take things slowly....and be prepared for an occasional set-back. Just last week I did something! Not sure what or how, but sudden back pain stopped me, and put me on rest and ice for a few days. The important thing is as soon as you're able, get back moving again.

Don't forget, you should see a doc prior to starting any program, especially if you have medical considerations. If you have insurance, I urge you to see your doc prior to starting Atkins and/or an exercise program. If you don't have insurance, see if there's a free clinic in your area. It may cost little to nothing for you to see a doc there.

Good luck....and feel free to post any questions you have. This is a pretty good site for support!

FatBoySlim
Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:05
Geta_carbo
let me start by saying after reading your reply to my post it has become apparent to me that if I can be only half as motivated as yourself I know I will succeed in loosing this 100+lbs
I have read and understood all you have said and am truly thankful for you strength I know it will assist me in the months and years to come...

CindySue
You Humble me , I believe that whatever the problem with my back I’m sure it is in no way as serious as yours and can only wish you Luck and wellbeing

My back problem stems from sporting injury and weight gain..
I think with loosing weight I'm sure my back problems will subside so for your kind words and advise I am truly thankful.

Up Until 8 Years ago I worked out every other day had a manual job and was a semi professional Kick boxer.. then I decided to go to college and study computer science.

When college was finished I managed to change my career and worked within the IT industry.

This did not give me time to do all the exercise I used to, the Martial Arts came to a halt and my eating habits changed drastically.

It seamed the more prosperous I became the more my health suffered any way jump 5 years on

There I was IT manager For a Merchant bank in the city of London earning a 6 figure salary but probably not going to live long enough to enjoy it.

And then one day bang slipped injured my back had to take time off work.
Lost my job and pilled more weight on this in turn left me unable to walk and in constant pain with my back, and the weight just kept on coming.

So within 3 years I have become a complete wreck and up until now I haven’t felt the fire in my belly to fight back but now I’m angry with the way my life has turned out so far and angry with the state of my health and I’m ready to do something about it.....

So I’m sorry if I have ranted a bit but just thought you should know what has landed me here.
So any help or encouragement you guys take time to give me I am deeply grateful for.

Ps My weight 5yrs ago 238lbs now 364lbs

With thx and gratitude
John aka FatBoySlim

sam59
Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:53
Hi John!

Welcome...and I love the enthusiasm that you seem to have. I do have to agree that walking is the best thing you can do. Just over two years ago I weighed in at 265 lbs, a confirmed couch potato.

Suddenly I woke up one day and looked in the mirror and didn't recognize the person looking back. I had a family with a history of heart disease, diabetes and obesity, but I also had a son that needed a mother. I understand all the things that contribute to the gain. Some of then easier to figure out than others.

At my worst, I was on medication for arthritis, had chronic back pain, my knees hurt, my digestive system was in an uproar etc. etc.

I decided to do something about it like you have. I started walking. First to the end of the road. And it took what seemed like forever. In just a few months I was power walking 5 km a day...in 40 minutes...and loving it. It made me feel good, and healthy, gave me some much needed "me" time. The other thing that I had to admit, was that I felt in control. That is an issue with me, and perhaps some of the reason I got so big in the first place. What I put in my mouth was one thing that I could control in my life. Well I discovered that worked both ways, I could also control what I DIDN'T put in my mouth. And I could control my activity.

I would put on my walkman, with some favorite music and set off with determination. Even at the beginning I felt proud of those few feet I managed.

A few hints about walking. Please no matter what, stretch before you go!!!! This is soooo important. You need to stretch out your calf muscles, or they will cramp....and your arches. Trust me, not doing so can cause damage that will stop you from being able to walk any distance at all...and it can become chronic. I don't mean do a whole stretching routine worthy of personal trainers...just stretch out those muscles before you go. It's worth the extra effort.

Another little trick that I did was to take a rubber ball with me. You see by the time I got out there I was determined to lose 100 lbs.....I wasn't fooling around. I didn't want batwings or any more flabby skin than I had to cope with. So as I walked I sqeezed the hell out of that little rubber ball. On the way there in one hand...on the way back the other. I know it sounds like a little thing, but it's the little things that bring us the success that we are looking for. It burns a few extra calories....and helps those muscles. Walking is good for legs etc. but the poor arms get forgotten.

The other thing that you really need to do is to drink, drink, drink....and I'm not talking running off to the pub dear...I'm talking good old H2O. My doctor said that the reason that my joint pain was so much better was that I was lubricating them. I read a study that said that most adults are in a constant state of dehydration. Our bodies need water to function. In particular, your digestive system is based on fluids. Think about that!
The formula that I was given...and followed, was that you need a basic 80 oz. a day. You need to add 10 0z. for each 25 lbs that you want to use, and then another 10 oz. for every caffeinated beverage you have. I started at 130 a day. I know that sounds insane, but I got used to it. And as an added bonus....all those trips to the potty...well they are exercise aren't they????..lol.
Disadvantage to you though being a man, us women have to do "squats" too!

By the way...within two months of the walking and water, I was off all my medication.

I wish you much luck, this board is a great place for support, and information. Hang around and keep us posted. I think that helping others is one of the attractions and motivations for a lot of us....so use us!!!

Sam

FatBoySlim
Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:37
Hi sam
Thanks for takeing time to read my post and ty for your advice I aim to start walking a little the min i shift 14lbs as this will ease my back so theres my first goal loose 14lbs and start to exercise :)

tyvm
John

sam59
Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:56
You should start a journal so we can all keep an eye on you....and you can look back and say to yourself "remember when I was on a mission for that first 14 lbs.....and look at me now!!!"

Just go to Journals in Boot camp.

It really helps to get what you eat each day on paper ( or screen )

Good luck and holler if ya need an ear!

Sam

Geta_carbo
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:14
Good morning John...

Nice to hear from you.... You hit the nail on the head :bash: I am determined to be a thin person again...

For me it took looking into the mirror and despising, yes despising the image that was frowning back at me and I immediately started to arm myself with information that would change that image to one that I approved of! :thup:

My expectations are reasonable... it will take a while to get there...look how long it took to pack it on! There are so many superstitions about weight loss ... grapefruit burns fat...you must drink 8 glasses of water a day to lose... sugar substitute is not good for you (?)... like sugar is... you must eat 2 slices of bread a day...

My plan was to KISS... keep it simple stupid... I had experimented with low carb eating before and knew that it worked...I was not as heavy then and the weight fell right off. I bought a Carbohydrate Guide and decided that at 60 carbohydrates a day I would not be depriving my body of nutrients or endangering my kidneys with too much protien ....

...nor would I be setting myself up to FAIL... :mad: I don't think that I could eat... no... or just 20 carbs a day and not fail...

ALL the chicken, meat , fish , cheeze, no "forbidden fruits" and lots of eggs allowed veggies (there are only 5 bad guys...potaoes, beans, rice, corn and peas) ...whole milk or cream and no alchohol...I drink a "Bloody Awful"...tomatoe juice and no voldka...

I take some vitamin suplements (folic acid, E A B C) and drink 0 carb drinks. That's it! I try to keep it real simple as simple as I can...I don't really go for "treating yourself" and all that nonsense because it gives you and excuse to "treat" yourself too well! I feel that I am supposed to feel that I am making a sacrifice ...the results will be the reward. So I don't do ice cream and chocolate bars (low carb) I would rather use my carbs for half a baked potatoe and sour cream once a week!!!!! although I haven't done that for a few weeks. Last week my treat was a bananna broken up into 4 days with my cottage cheeze.

I hate water and hardly ever drink it unless it's with lime juice and sugaar substititute lol. Thats it ...all the rules...if I am in doubt about carb content I look it up in my guide...when I've had my limit I don't have any more that day...

I laughed when you pointed out that opulance can lead to corpulence! Loss is a great negative motivater...to fill in the void with food. It's a self destruct mechanism. It is devistating to lose a job and have no place to go in the morning. Been there done that too.

How are you doing? Need some recipies? I have learned to be very creative... to stave off the monotony....Don't know what foods are available to you. Let me know. My e mail service is aol and my screen name is ladyneville. If you need to ramble and reflect and want some one to share your ramblings don't hesitate.

YOU CAN tear down that wall that is keeping you from doing all the things that you enjoy and

Geta_carbo
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:32
Good morning John...

Nice to hear from you.... You hit the nail on the head :bash: I am determined to be a thin person again...

For me it took looking into the mirror and despising, yes despising the image that was frowning back at me and I immediately started to arm myself with information that would change that image to one that I approved of! :thup:

My expectations are reasonable... it will take a while to get there...look how long it took to pack it on! There are so many superstitions about weight loss ... grapefruit burns fat...you must drink 8 glasses of water a day to lose... sugar substitute is not good for you (?)... like sugar is... you must eat 2 slices of bread a day...

My plan was to KISS... keep it simple stupid... I had experimented with low carb eating before and knew that it worked...I was not as heavy then and the weight fell right off. I bought a Carbohydrate Guide and decided that at 60 carbohydrates a day I would not be depriving my body of nutrients or endangering my kidneys with too much protien ....

...nor would I be setting myself up to FAIL... :mad: I don't think that I could eat... no... or just 20 carbs a day and not fail...

ALL the chicken, meat , fish , cheeze, no "forbidden fruits" and lots of eggs allowed veggies (there are only 5 bad guys...potaoes, beans, rice, corn and peas) ...whole milk or cream and no alchohol...I drink a "Bloody Awful"...tomatoe juice and no voldka...

I take some vitamin suplements (folic acid, E A B C) and drink 0 carb drinks. That's it! I try to keep it real simple as simple as I can...I don't really go for "treating yourself" and all that nonsense because it gives you and excuse to "treat" yourself too well! I feel that I am supposed to feel that I am making a sacrifice ...the results will be the reward. So I don't do ice cream and chocolate bars (low carb) I would rather use my carbs for half a baked potatoe and sour cream once a week!!!!! although I haven't done that for a few weeks. Last week my treat was a bananna broken up into 4 days with my cottage cheeze.

I hate water and hardly ever drink it unless it's with lime juice and sugaar substititute lol. Thats it ...all the rules...if I am in doubt about carb content I look it up in my guide...when I've had my limit I don't have any more that day...

I laughed when you pointed out that opulance can lead to corpulence! Loss is a great negative motivater...to fill in the void with food. It's a self destruct mechanism. It is devistating to lose a job and have no place to go in the morning. Been there done that too.

How are you doing? Need some recipies? I have learned to be very creative... to stave off the monotony....Don't know what foods are available to you. Let me know. My e mail service is aol and my screen name is ladyneville. If you need to ramble and reflect and want some one to share your ramblings don't hesitate.

YOU CAN tear down that wall that is keeping you from doing all the things that you enjoy and

Geta_carbo
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:59
:rolleyes: OOps ....John my message got posted twice... I zapped it before I was through writing! The good part is that you can shut me up any time... LOL

Since my scale has been broken I found out (shhhh don't tell anyone!) that it was broken in the beginning and I weighed more that it said that I did!

So who knows what I weighed in at when I started out 4 weeks ago and "FRANKLY SCARLETT....' it doesn't matter. I have lost weight and gained back a whole lot of self respect and you will too...... Get on it... keep busy...try not to be pre-occupied with food. Read as much as you can about this method of weight loss and keep your day's menus as simple as possible.

YOU ATE 60 CARBS... OK no firing squad.... don't eat any more ...have an egg (or two) and cottage cheeze or a porkchop or a side of beef but don't eat any more carbs for the day...

I started to say in my last post that the weight is like a wall that stands between us and good health ... prosperity and all the things that we can't visualize ourselves doing in the shape that we are in.

It doesn't bother some people to be generously endowed. They take in it their stride and accept it as their image.
My grandaughter inherited my fat genes and she's lov'in it and her boyfriend tips the scale at 300 or more. I noticed that he was sweating profusely the last time that he was here and had to lie down.The weather was mild...alltitude high... how good can that be at 22 ??????????

Let's hope that your physical ills will dissappear ... as rapidly as the pounds will...Gwen :wave:

Geta_carbo
Sun, Nov-24-02, 12:02
:wave: John...
Haven't seen any posts from you?

:read: Maybe I haven't looked in the right places! What's going on? Is your mind set on going the distance.

:cheer: If it's not ...what can I do to inspire you ?? LOL

Words can't express the amout of sadness that our souls feel when they are inhibitited and not allowed to soar.

The whole idea of denying ourselves even more that we are already denied is devistating.

It's factual that one day at a time ...with protein
"a miraculous building block"...unhealthy pounds will burn away! Just read some of the stories written by those that have experienced that miracle on this site!

It doesn't have to be a dreary exercise ...this recovery process...

:rose: I respect the fact that this is a very personal matter... it's your choice ...Now that you are armed with validated knowledge...you may join those those of us that are setting our souls free ...or join those that are sitting down to a plate loaded with cabohydrates ...

:mad: Send me a nasty reply and tell me to mind my own business!

:bash: I wouldn't blame you ... maybe getting mad is the answer...I know that I had to get MAD AS H_ _ _ (heck) before anything happened to change my complacency...

What flavor will the future be?

Gwen