PDA

View Full Version : Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karen
Wed, Nov-13-02, 10:40
Spaghetti Squash Carbonara (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=644859#post644859)

Spaghetti Squash “Carbonara” Style
Serves 3-4

1 1/2 - 2 lb. spaghetti squash, cooked. See below.
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 oz prosciutto, finely diced
2 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a small frying pan, heat the oil and prosciutto over medium low heat and cook until the prosciutto crisps slightly. Remove from the heat.

Beat the eggs, water, whipping cream, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the cheese together. Stir in the prosciutto with the oil and the squash. Spread out into a 8 x 8-inch (20 x 20-cm) baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes until set but still slightly jiggly in the middle. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Total Calories: 2313
Carbs: 107
Fiber: 19
Protein: 94
Fat: 175 grams

To Cook Spaghetti Squash

Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).

With a sharp, sturdy knife, trim the stem end from the squash and split in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Lay cut side down in a large baking dish and add 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) water to the pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, uncover and let cool.

With a spoon, scrape out the shreds. You can now package into smaller portions and freeze.

To microwave the squash: with a sharp, sturdy knife, trim the stem end from the squash and split in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Place it in microwaveable dish and add 1/2-inch (1.2 cm) of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 10 minutes on high power. When it is done, it will yield when the skin is pressed firmly. Remove from the microwave, uncover and let cool. With a spoon, scrape out the shreds.

Karen

wangeci
Thu, Nov-14-02, 16:25
I would really like to see about 5 stars behind this one????? How can that happen, really, I know anybody that tries it will love it..

Cindy

HLFAN
Tue, Apr-22-03, 18:32
Dear Karen, How are you doing? I'm waiting to buy your new cookbook too.

Thanks for the recipe. It has that taste of butternut squash I love so much. Very great taste and easy to make. Thanks so much!

HL

Kareny
Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:51
Ooh! I have all the ingredients for this! Except the parmesan... no, wait, I might have that. I can't wait to try it!

Karen, when is your low-carb cookbook coming out, and will it be available in the States? :) You are such a marvelous wealth of information!

All these fantastic low-carb recipes make this lifestyle SO much more sustainable - and fun! I'm cooking more now than I did when I was eating all that yucky carby stuff, which was always so easy to prepare. I feel like just in the past four weeks I've had such a cooking education, and it's all been HEALTHY!

Oh, and fun, too.

(The other) Karen

wangeci
Sun, Oct-19-03, 14:52
Karen,

I just made this again today, not only does it taste INCREDIBLE, but my apartment smells like a dream...This is my favorite sidedish recipe of all time, except for nonlowcarb stuffing.....which is still my evil temptation of all times..

Cindy

wils
Sun, Dec-21-03, 08:40
Reading this reminded me how great this tasted and it's way past the time I made it again!