PDA

View Full Version : effectiveness of glucophage and low carb coupled with PCOS

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joycita
Tue, Nov-12-02, 14:54
Hi everyone.. I just came across this forum and hope to not repeat a question that has already been answered.

I have been ATKINs low-carbing for 6 months and have lost 60 pounds. I don't know if I have ever been in KETOSIS as my KETOSIS STICK has never been purple. My weakness is that I tend to have a couple of drinks on the weekends and it throws me off. I haven't been exercising and this past month of October have actually tapered off (only lost 5 pounds).

I can attribute my weight loss to decrease in appetite and simply eating less. Not to mentoin, NO CARBS - I've cut out fruit, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc.

My question is this: after years of speculation I have just been diagnosed with PCOS. As soon as I have one more consultation with my endocrinologist I will be put on GLUCOPHAGE. Will I expereince any additional weight loss or have I tapered off? Should I stay on ATKINs or go back to my pre-ATKINs ways? Do the two go hand-in-hand? And what about the pill?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Joyce

tripletmom
Wed, Nov-13-02, 00:30
Generally, when you start taking Metformin (Glucophage), you have an appetite decrease while you adjust to the medication. If you take regular Glucophage, you may notice GI upset (about 90% of the people do) which may also help you to lose weight... considering nothing stays inside you long enough to soak in :) Another option, though, since the GI upset could be explosive, is to take Glucophage XR. The GI upset is much better, since it's extended release. Considering that the Glucophage will help you use the insulin you do produce better, it might help you to lose more weight, and eat a few more carbs/day. See how it goes, and good luck! I've been off the LC wagon and the Glucophage wagon for about 1 year, and am getting back on both January 1st.

joycita
Wed, Nov-13-02, 08:24
Thanks Karen. I'm still wondering if weight loss to GLUCOPHAGE is the same as LC. That is, will there be any additional weight loss especially since it seems like I have pretty much peaked.
Thx and good luck in 2003!
Joyce

mbutterfly
Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:09
Hi joycita, and welcome! I am pretty new to this forum as well but thought I'd give my input, as I also have PCOS, am low-carbing and taking Glucophage, as well as the pill. I just started CAD (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) 4 1/2 weeks ago and so far I've lost about 13 pounds (it's constantly changing within about 2 pounds). The Glucophage does help most women to lose weight but not drastically. For the first few days you probably will not feel very well and will be making many trips to the bathroom, but keep with it and your body will adjust.

The combination seems to be working well for me so far and hopefully it does for you too. This is a great place to come for advice and support.

Good luck!

mbutterfly

joycita
Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:16
Thanks mbutterfly. I feel like my weight loss to date has been because of lack of appetite because of LC and don't know if the GLUCOPHAGE or THE PILL will add to it. I still haven't been able to figure out if GLUCOPHAGE alone will help in weight loss. Anyway if they GLUCOPHAGE can help me go to the bathroom that would be great because with LC I am not regularly going. Does anyone else out there experience this?
Joyce

mbutterfly
Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:22
Yes, I do experience irregular BM's, even with the Glucophage, and was told to eat more fiber and fat. Since I am on CAD, I am able to put a lot of fiber in my reward meal to help "keep things moving".

As far as knowing whether or not Glucophage alone will help lose weight, I think it depends on the person. It does help even out your insulin levels, and I've recently learned that insulin partly controls your hunger.

Hope that helps!

Missy

kaycee
Thu, Nov-14-02, 05:31
Just wanted to throw my two cents in on this. I have been on glucophage for 2 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. I haven't had any side effects other than mild diarrhea for the first few days. I had good success low carbing a couple of years ago but I seemed to stall out after 50 lbs. After that I didn't lose no matter what I did. Anyway I was diagnosed with PCOS and put on gluc 1500mls. a day and wham the weight loss finally resumed. I still eat low carb just like I had been doing. My endo said the gluc would help with weight loss because when your insulin is high it causes your body to store vs. burn fat.

Good Luck!

Kaycee.

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 07:57
Wow, kaycee, that's GREAT!!! Congratulations!

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:10
thx kaycee.. i just dropped off my prescription and will be stating it today. i also feel like i've tapered off with LC and wonder how the glucophage will impact me. i'll keep everyone posted.
does anyone LC, take glucophage and the pill?

joyce

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:12
Hi Joyce. Me again.

Yes, I am LC'ing, taking glucophage and the pill.

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:18
Missy.. How long have you been on that cocktail? I see from your stats that you've lost 10 pounds. are you still losing?

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:29
I've been on Glucophage for about a year now and just recently started the pill up again because I was having another never-ending TOM. WARNING: My dr. told me that when you lose weight all of the estrogen that's stored in your fat cells is released, sometimes causing bleeding.

As far as if I'm still losing, I've kind of been at a standstill now for about 2 weeks. This past weekend I kind of blew it by having a girl's night out and drinking. Also, I am currently having problems with constipation. Sooo...hopefully by tomorrow I'll see an improvement.

To be honest, I was shocked at how quickly the weight came off at first due to the fact that I'm on the pill. I think that if you stick to it, and don't cheat like I did, you'll have much success. I know that I'm going to try harder at keeping on track. Just a little setback like that can really mess with the weight loss.

Good luck!

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:34
My weekly outings with the girls also throws me off. I'm going to experiment and not drink for the next 2 weeks and see what happens!
Good luck to you too!
Joyce

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:47
I got this link from a fellow low-carber from this site:

http://www.atkinsfriends.com/carbcounter/bev.shtml

She also said that Michelob Ultra only has like 2.6g in it.

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:09
I tried it last week and it seemed a bit watery to me. I'll have to make it my drink of choice for a while.. the same way I've gotten used to diet-sodas.. You can drink hard liquor with diet sodas though.. I drink BACARDI LIMON with diet-sprite!! YUMMY or with diet cranberry juice!
Joyce

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:15
Mmmmm....both sound very good. I'll have to give them a try at the wedding I'm going to this weekend. :)

You may notice, once you start the Glucophage, that the alcohol is quickly absorbed. Think of it this way, though, it'll save money at the bar!

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 12:46
I just noticed that the warnings say to not drink alcohol. Should I avoid it all together?

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:07
I asked my Pharmacist the same question and she said that the reason the warning is on there is because Glucophage is a Diabetic medication and that alcohol effects your insulin levels. Diabetics should not consume alcohol while on that medication. She warned me to "take it easy" and don't go overboard as the effects of alcohol are basically enhanced with this medication.

I try not to drink very often but sometimes there are those special occasions that call for a celebration.

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:19
That makes sense. I also have High Blood Pressure and am taking diuretics and the warning label cautions individuals that take diuretics. I'll ask my pharmacist about tihs one. This is getting to be complicated!
joyce

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 13:23
Hopefully your Pharmacist can help make you feel more comfortable about it.

It is very confusing and the last thing that you want to do is make your situation even worse.

When are you starting the Glucophage?

joycita
Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:29
I just took one my first one with lunch!

mbutterfly
Thu, Nov-14-02, 14:34
Let me know how it goes. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that this will help.

tripletmom
Thu, Nov-14-02, 23:19
Hi ladies,

My OB/GYN became social friends while I was pregnant (she joined the group that I had been going to for 15 years... when she saw me at 12 weeks prego. with my trips, we became fast buddies... she even delivered them) aaaanyway... she's the one who prescribed Glucophage for me. She is the one in the practice that specializes in PCOS, since she HAS PCOS. She told me that I could drink while taking Glucophage, but not to get drunk.. because then I would get dehydrated. She said you do not want to get dehydrated while taking Glucophage... due to that whole lactic-acidosis thing. So, if I am drinking alcohol, I make sure to drink 2 glasses of water to every 1 alcoholic drink I have.

There's my 50 cents worth :)

joycita
Fri, Nov-15-02, 08:46
Karen..

I read the precautions for GLUCOPHAGE and it mentioned something about lactic acidosis. Specifically it says:

"Metformin can rarely cause a condition called lactic acidosis,which can be fatal. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following symptoms of lactic acidosis: unusual tiredness (fatigue) or severe drowsiness, muscle pain, breathing trouble or rapid breathing, unusually slow or irregular heartbeat. Lactic acidosis is more likely to occur in patients who: have heart failure, kidney or liver problems; are elderly; use alcohol excessively; are seriously dehydrated (lack body fluids); will undergo x-ray procedures that require an injectable contrast drug; will have surgery ; develop a serious infection, heart attack or stroke; are over 80 years of age and have not had kidney and liver tests."

I found this kind of vague. What is it that METFORMIN does that causes LACTIC ACIDOSIS and how is it fatal?

Joyce

mbutterfly
Fri, Nov-15-02, 08:57
Thanks for the info! I will definitely have to keep that in mind....eek!

tripletmom
Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:07
Lactic Acidosis, in a nutshell, is when lactic acid accumulates in the blood stream at a faster rate than it can be eliminated.

People who have kidney and liver problems already are probably already pre-disposed to this condition, and if they take Metformin, it may make it worse. I don't think it has anything to do with the action it takes to help use insulin better, I would rather think it is a rare side effect.

Let's remember that it is a RARE side-effect (5 in 100,000) and unless you have liver/kidney problems already, you aren't in a higher risk group. The only thing I should note here, is that once diagnosed with Lactic Acidosis, it is fatal in 50% of the cases.

Here's a website that explains metformin and lactic acidosis better than most (more layman's terms)

Kisses,

joycita
Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:35
I think I should get some blood work done again. I haven't since right before I started ATKIN's. Liver and kidney were fine. Everyone warns me about the potential dangers of ATKINs to the liver and kidney because of all the meat. Any truths?

tripletmom
Sat, Nov-16-02, 23:39
People say that you can damage your liver and kidneys by eating too much meat, because they think that our organs are taxed by processing too much protein... and not enough carbs... putting us into ketosis. A lot of people (including doctors) confuse ketosis, which is the body burning off it's fat storage, and keto-acidosis, where the body burns off it's fat storage, and the by-product, ketones, are not being eliminated, and start to accumulate. When this happens, the kidneys and/or liver can be affected. As long as you keep yourself well hydrated, and keep flushing out those ketones, you won't be at any higher risk for damage.

A personal preference of mine is once in ketosis, don't go too far over to the purple on the ketone strips... I always like to be light/moderate.

joycita
Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:45
karen..

i have never been in purple.. i have always been in moderate.. i always thought it was because things weren't working for me but i guess it makes sense that it wouldn't be because i was always drinking lots of water. to date i have lost almost 70 lbs. the weird thing is my endocronoligist (who along with my GYN) diagnosed me with PCOS and knows that i am doing atkins told me not to drink too much water because it's not really necessary. so i cut down a little and the weird thing is sometimes i dont drink much water and i still whizzle a lot.. is that why i have to keep hydrated?

joyce

tripletmom
Mon, Nov-18-02, 10:40
The latest findings by the "medical powers that be" recently said (within the past year) that we really don't need 8 full glasses of water per day to keep well hydrated, that it's been exaggerated that people need this much water.

You are whizzing a lot because you are losing weight! I for one feel that I need all that water to keep things going, and flush all the toxins out of my body. You should do what you feel is best when it comes to water intake.

While I have you, are you taking potassium supplements? LCing tends to make us lose potassium, and I can always tell, because I get leg cramps. I take a regular 99mg potassium supplement daily while LCing.

One more thing....

70 pounds lost, way to go!!

Know that those 70 pounds have gone to someone who's teased you in the past :D

joycita
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:57
Karen..

My concern is where is the water that I am whizzing coming from if I'm not drinking water? And is this whizzing dehydrating me and if so, should I then drink more water? I'm comfortable either way but I was begin to wonder if I was drinking too little water. Water is the only liquid I drink.. well about 80% - I drink water, have a cup of coffee at work M-F and I drink about 1/2 bottle of diet soda - usually diet sprite, diet mountain dew or FRESCA!

As for the potassium supplements, WOW that makes so much sense. I was taking a CENTRUM and a CALCIUM tablet a day but haven't been doing so for about a month b/c I was travelling for work and have dropped the habit but I will pick it back up today because in the last couple of weeks I have been getting some weird leg cramps.. calf, thigh, you name it. I thought it may be the cold (I live in Washington DC) and I was worrying that I was beginning to lose muscle as opposed to fat. What other vitamin supplements should I take?

Joyce

joycita
Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:59
OOOoops.. as for the 70 pounds.. i can think of many people it can go to! the feeling is great and the next 70 are in sight!
joyce

mbutterfly
Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:03
Hi joycita! How are you feeling now that you're on the Glucophage? Does it seem to be diminishing your hunger? Hope everything is going well for you!!

joycita
Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:35
hi missy..

i have been on glucophage for about 3 days now and have lost 2 pounds.. so i dont know if it's had any additional affect... i skipped 2 doses over the weekend.. it's hard to keep up with it every 8 hours but i'm trying to stick with it... my hunger is already curverd w/atkins so i dont know if the metmorfin has had any additional affect.... i tend to eat b/c i know i need to .. if i had to wait until i was really hungry i would probably only eat once a day.. however i did have a hearty brunch on sunday and did not eat again that whole day.. when i do eat heartily i get full much quicker.. i was worried i might have put on a pound or 2 with my brunch but as i mentioned i have actually lost 2 pounds.. i hope i can maintain through the thanksgiving holiday.. all turkey no stuffing!

how are you coming along with the CAD diet? i haven't read too much about it but i hear people mention it a lot.. how different is it from ATKINs?

joyce.

mbutterfly
Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:42
Congratulations on the 2-lb. loss!!!

I'm doing ok with CAD. Still learning as I've only been on it for 5 weeks. Its main difference from Atkins is that it's basically treating a disorder called "Carbohydrate Addiction". The most enjoyable thing is that for an hour out of the day you can have whatever you want as long it's within an hour of when you started eating. The other 1 or 2 meals a day are called "Complimentary Meals" and should be extremely low in carbs.

A lot of people have said that they find it easier to stick to it because you're not really giving up anything forever.

Happy Low-Carbin'
Missy

joycita
Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:13
Wow.. I wonder if it is as effective.. i have conditioned myself to not have carbs so i really try to keep them to a minimum .. i dont think i could binge on carbs even if i wanted to! i had a friend who would indulge on carbs during the weekend and do a new INDUCTION for 2 weeks and he swore the extra carbs were enough to jump start him!

what do you typically treat yourself to in that hour and how much? have you lost any additional weight this week? and did atkins work for you at all?

joyce

mbutterfly
Tue, Nov-19-02, 08:29
Well, I never really tried Atkins but I know a lot of people who have. I knew that I wouldn't be able to choose that plan because it would mean giving up carbs FOREVER.

During the Reward Meal you can have whatever you want. I am a sweet freak! I LOVE chocolate and ice cream and anything baked, so I usually always have dessert. If not, I eat fruit. I also usually have some sort of potatoe and sometimes pasta and bread.

I didn't lose any weight last week, but it's my TOM so hopefully after this week I'll see an improvement. I have also started reading my book again (Carbohydrate Addicts Diet) because I missed quite a bit of information. There is a lot of information in the CAD/CALP Forum if you want to check it out. This diet really makes sense to me. I'm still getting myself on track, but I really believe that it will work for a lifetime. Good Luck!

bumper82
Wed, Nov-17-10, 09:36
sorry for butting into this thread with my question, but it seems to fit here.. I start metformin tomorrow - and im also just a new low carber. Everywhere i read, its telling me that carbs counteract the metformin. - How low should i be dropping the carbs for metformin to be as effective as possible? Right now im doing 15g of carbs, three times a day+ 2 little low carb snacks. should I drop it even more?

SnowyFilly
Fri, Mar-04-11, 20:25
Glucophage is the brand name per the manufacturer...
Metformin etc... are generics of...
www.Drugs.com for info...

Note: Most people get upset stomachs and headaches on Metformin... Your doctor may tell you its your body getting used to it... NO! Your body is rejecting it! True with anything, it depends on the individual as well...

Fact: Budweiser is the only beer having many chemicals in it... Alot of people drinking it get headaches but still drink their Bud! Source: A beer distributor manager...

My experiences on Glucophage;
Glucophage XR 500mg daily is my "miracle"pill... 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill my cravings disappeared... I had to make myself eat... I lost 30lbs in 4 months along with dropping 6 full dress sizes... Budget caused me to go off Gluc... I gained 2 sixes back in 2 years and gained fat in the form of cellulite for the 1st time in my life!
- Gluc's side effects are all positive for me...Accept for the bouts of constipation like... I know from a post in here to add more fiber and fat...

*Point: Each person is different in how their body reacts to drugs and food, etc...
- All you can do is try things... Keep a journal...
- Treatment and diet is a trial & error experience...
- It's your body... Most doctors have little clues to the truth in PCOS...

My symptoms are minor (28 of the 50 in my PCOS List)... Gluc diminishes most all of mine and makes the few less to deal with...
- I feel mellow and complete while on Gluc... A hormone thing...

I eat a high protein, complex and low carb style diet with Gluc and lose weight on a steady basis... I cheat one day at lunch or dinner a week to reward myself... My blood tests show within ranges...

* You have to eat while on Gluc to drop weight!

My asian MD doc told me to choose a size i love and use the Gluc as a maintenance pill from then on...
- I will have adjusted to a proper lifestyle of eating then...

I am very happy on Glucophage XR 500mg daily....
Christie

outawack
Wed, Mar-09-11, 00:12
Hi ya'll, I just wanted to share a little of my story. I have been married for 15 years and for the first 4 years we couldn't get pregnant. I have had menstrual cycle problems all my life, been over weight all my life, had low sugar spells all my life, facial hair, discoloration on my neck, under breast, between my thighs. I had all the symptoms of pcos including the cysts except for the acne But I had never heard about it. One day I found a magazine article in a Woman's Day mag. that talked about women having pcos and I took it to my Dr. He did the test and found out I had it. He put me on glucophage and 6 weeks later I was pregnant with my 1st daughter. I stayed on it durning the preg. and she was fine, but went off after. I got preg. again right before her 2nd b-day and had a miscarriage so I went back on gluc. and lost 45lbs within 6months and found out I was preg. once again. That pregnancy went fine. I stayed on gluc. and lost all my weight plus another 55lbs. and ended up preg. again. This time I went off gluc. since my hormone levels were good and the baby did fine but after I had him I have never lost the weight. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow to get back on gluc. because it helped me alot. I have always tried to diet but without success. The gluc. really helped me to get the job done. It increased my energy, it fixed my metabolism, and curbed my appetite. I hope it has the same effect this time around!

lexy_honey
Wed, Apr-20-11, 00:07
Glucophage is the brand name per the manufacturer...
Metformin etc... are generics of...
www.Drugs.com for info...

Note: Most people get upset stomachs and headaches on Metformin... Your doctor may tell you its your body getting used to it... NO! Your body is rejecting it! True with anything, it depends on the individual as well...

Fact: Budweiser is the only beer having many chemicals in it... Alot of people drinking it get headaches but still drink their Bud! Source: A beer distributor manager...

My experiences on Glucophage;
Glucophage XR 500mg daily is my "miracle"pill... 20 minutes after taking the 1st pill my cravings disappeared... I had to make myself eat... I lost 30lbs in 4 months along with dropping 6 full dress sizes... Budget caused me to go off Gluc... I gained 2 sixes back in 2 years and gained fat in the form of cellulite for the 1st time in my life!
- Gluc's side effects are all positive for me...Accept for the bouts of constipation like... I know from a post in here to add more fiber and fat...

*Point: Each person is different in how their body reacts to drugs and food, etc...
- All you can do is try things... Keep a journal...
- Treatment and diet is a trial & error experience...
- It's your body... Most doctors have little clues to the truth in PCOS...

My symptoms are minor (28 of the 50 in my PCOS List)... Gluc diminishes most all of mine and makes the few less to deal with...
- I feel mellow and complete while on Gluc... A hormone thing...

I eat a high protein, complex and low carb style diet with Gluc and lose weight on a steady basis... I cheat one day at lunch or dinner a week to reward myself... My blood tests show within ranges...

* You have to eat while on Gluc to drop weight!

My asian MD doc told me to choose a size i love and use the Gluc as a maintenance pill from then on...
- I will have adjusted to a proper lifestyle of eating then...

I am very happy on Glucophage XR 500mg daily....
Christie

I Go Back To The Dr. On Tuesday, Just Found Out I Had An Abnormal Pap Does That Have Anything To Do With My PCOS?? Im Scared, But She Will Also Be Putting Me On The Gluc Any Advice?? Im 22, 5'2'' and pushing 260