PDA

View Full Version : Trying Something New

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimjim
Tue, Nov-12-02, 08:07
My name is Kim and I've been overweight my entire life. Right before I had my two girls I lost about 50 pounds on Weight Watchers and kept it off for quite awhile. My youngest is now 2 and the 50 pounds have come back plus a few more. I'm at 215 right now and miserable! I've gone back to W.W. numerous times, but I just can't get into the mood. I've talked to quite a few people over the years who have tried Atkins, so I've decided that I really do need something totally different. This is my second day and so far so good. We just had a new Curves open in town and I joined yesterday. I really hope I can be succesful with this. My husband is a runner and very skinny. He thinks its nuts that I'm not counting fat and that I CAN'T eat carbs, because to a runner carbs are EVERYTHING. I've told him to just shut up and let me try it!

Zuleikaa
Tue, Nov-12-02, 08:10
Welcome!

Join right in! There is a lot of support on the board and a lot of information. Give it a try. What do you have to lose but pounds.

ageekott
Tue, Nov-12-02, 09:01
Hi Kim,

I'm in my 2nd week of induction and i can say that i feel very good as well. We've been so conditioned to think that the problem was with fat. My husband feels the same way your husband feels. I got a stern warning from him not to gain what i had lost before i started the Atkins Plan. He was quite comical. I'm still trying to figure out how to make this a way of life, since one knows the results of ones previous lifestyle. I wish you all the best on your journey, have fun.

clrmind
Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:22
kimjim--
Will be quite an adjustment for you to throw away all the old weight-loss myths we have been told throughout the years, especially living with a avid carb-loading runner. This lifestyle definately does work. It is not fat that makes us fat--it is carbs! The choice is simple--work off those carbs with strenuous exercise or simply don't eat them in the first place. The recommended daily allowance of carbs for an average adult is 100gms. I was easily eating over twice that amount as part of a lowfat diet and wondering why i remained fat. Now I know that low in fat usually means high in carbs. Weight Watchers with it's just the right mix of carbs and low-fat point system, only slows down the loss of fat from your body. Weird as it seems, the longer I stay with the low-carb lifestyle, the more i know that the weight I am losing is actual fat pounds--not lean muscle. All this, and still eating close to 2000 calories per day!! WooHoo!!! Who says you have to suffer to lose weight??
:spin:
Well kim, welcome to the other side and I wish you best of luck as you show your husband that this works. I too have a husband who thinks that his diet is already perfect and strenuous exercise is the key to weight loss. Daily workouts, sometimes 2-3 hours and yet all he does is maintain his same weight. It has been so wonderful to see his jaw drop as the pounds drop off of me with diet alone and almost no increase in my daily activities.
:rheart: