PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Beef Stir Fry

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SarahO
Mon, Nov-11-02, 20:14
This is my first time posting a recipe, hope y'all enjoy it. The recipe is adapted from "China Moon Cookbook" by Barbara Tropp. It's a bit complicated but the results were worth it.

Ingredients:

1# flank steak or round roast, trimmed

marinade:
1 Tb. soy sauce
2 Tb. chili oil

aromatics:
1 Tb. minced fresh ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small fresh chili (optional)

sauce:
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 Tb. soy sauce
1 packet Splenda
2 Tb. dry white whine
2 Tb. white wine vinegar

veggies:
1 1/2 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 # mushrooms
1 bunch spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped scallion
1 teas. Not/Starch dissolved in 1 Tb. stock or water

Cut the beef into slices 1" x 2" x 1/4" thick.

Mix the marinade ingredients together, toss with the beef, and cover for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Combine the aromatics in a small bowl and set aside.

Combine the sauce ingredients, blend to dissolve the Splenda, and set aside.

Blanch or steam the asparagus until tender but still crisp. Cool in ice water and drain.

About 20 minutes before serving, saute the beef but do not overcook. It will cook a little more at the end, so leave it a little rare. Set aside.

Heat the same pan to medium-high, add more oil if necessary, and saute the aromatics for 20 - 30 seconds. Adjust the heat so they don't burn.

Add the mushrooms and saute until softened but not cooked to death, 2-4 minutes.

Add the spinach and scallion and toss until spinach is softened, less than a minute.

Stir in the cooked beef and asparagus.

Stir the sauce and add it to the pan. Raise the heat and cover until the sauce begins to simmer.

Now take a spoonful of the hot liquid and mix it into the Not/Starch & cold water mixture. Add to the pan and stir in. Stir until the liquid turns glossy and thickens a bit. Serve.

According to Fitday the recipe contains 38 grams of carb and 17 grams of fiber. It's supposed to be 4 servings but we find that it feeds 2 hungry people with a little bit left over.

Notes:
If your carb levels are a little higher than mine, some yellow onion and/or red bell pepper would be a nice addition.

The original recipe recommends velveting the beef (i.e. deep frying for 10-15 seconds). This would make the dish more lush, but I'm too lazy for that so I just saute it.

If you don't use Not/Starch, just reduce the stock and simmer a little longer.

Chili oil can be bought in the supermarket, or you can make it:

Combine 2/3 cup dried red chili flakes, 1/3 cup chopped Chinese fermented black beans, 4 cloves garlic (smashed but not chopped), 2 Tb. minced ginger, 2 1/2 cups canola oil (or corn or peanut), and 1/3 cup Japanese sesame oil. Heat to 225-250 degrees, simmer for 15 minutes, then cool. Will keep indefinitely in jars in the pantry. Needs to sit for a couple of days before use.

The original recipe called for a spoonful of the "goop" from the bottom of the chili oil to be added to the marinade. I omitted that to reduce the carbs. But it would make the dish more flavorful.