PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

reecey
Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:06
Hello everyone. I'm sure we're all in the same boat and that's why we're all here. We all want to get fit and lead healthy lives. Most things haven't worked for us, but maintaining a low carb diet seems to. I've lost almost 40 lbs since April, and that was actually just up till August. Since August, I've not been controlling what I eat and although I haven't gained anything, I'm not losing anything either.

I guess the reason I'm here is to find out how other people stick to this way of life, since its not really a diet. I know what I need to do to get myself to where I want to be, but I have a hard time sticking to it, be it from being lazy or be it from well....that's really the only reason I guess - other than being scared. Yes, I know that doesn't make much sense, but I guess I'm afraid of accomplishing my goal and not having it to work toward any longer. Its really a dumb reason with zero logic behind it, but that's where I'm at. Anyone else experiencing this?

The convenience of fast food or pub food is there and it really stinks. I don't blame the industries - I'm the one that stuffed it down my throat. But I guess I'm looking for the reason why as well.

I began working out around memorial day and haven't really since the beginning of august either - so I'm sure any muscle mass I've managed to gain has now turned into fat which is why i haven't experienced a gain in weight, but I feel fatter.

I'm trying to figure out why I self sabotage. Anyone wanna take a stab at this? Be honest, I've got thick skin.

mischa
Thu, Nov-07-02, 20:23
Hi reecey and welcome,

you are at the right place for information and support. Atkins has worked for you before and I would suggest you start with induction again to get back on track.

I'm afraid of accomplishing my goal and not having it to work toward any longer. Its really a dumb reason with zero logic behind it, but that's where I'm at. Anyone else experiencing this?

How about making maintenance your priority and staying at goal weight.....there you got something to work with for a longer period of time :D See the losing part just as a "in-between job" before the actual job will start!

I wish you good luck in a fresh start

Mischa :wave:

Kingoski
Thu, Nov-07-02, 20:51
Hi Reccy,

I am a newbie to this fantastic forum, but have been a low-carber for nearly two years. I haven't stuck to LC the entire time, especially in the beginning. I lost a stack of weight then went straight back to bread and pasta. (Hel-lo!)

Now I haved accepted the fact that I can never be a High Carb person - it's unhealthy for my body as well as turning me into Mr Blobby. I have found that other foods taste much better anyway. E.g. today we had morning tea at work - quiches, sausage rolls, etc. I just peeled all the pastry off and got stuck in. (I got some funny looks, but hey). ;)

I keep reminding myself how unhealthy high carbs are (the Sugar Busters book explains it really well). I also make sure it doesn't take over my life (such as still enjoying morning tea). I've also explained what I'm doing to friends and collegues (many of whom have since followed my example, or are thinking about it). Everyone has been really supportive, especially when they see me losing weight.

Have you thought about what you want to do when you reach your goal weight? My next goal is to start exercising more and using weights - I've found the hardest thing is to actually make a start on that, so you're one up on me! I have started riding to work occasionally, though. I know I'm in Ketosis and that every movement is making me lose more weight!! Now THAT'S motivating!

Think about how you're talking to yourself - if a friend of yours put you down like that, would you put up with it? I hope not!

Good luck with adapting your program to suit your life, and congratulations on being a low carber!!

Kingoski

PS With pub or convenience food, I skip the french fries, but get stuck into the burger without the bread roll. Look again at the menu - there is probably something there that you can have or easily adapt to suit LC.

orchidday
Fri, Nov-08-02, 08:10
:wave:

Hi Reecey: Well you asked someone to take a stab at this so these are the things I remind myself of:

Fast food is convenient for no one except those that profit from it. It is not convenient for me. It has wreaked havoc on my appearance and my health. Their stocks go up, and I deteriorate. Have you ever read the book "Fast Food Nation"? It really WILL change the way you see fast food forever.

Food is just food. It was meant to keep us alive and healthy so that we could pursue life. Has it done that for you? It hasn't done that for me. My poor body is dropping under it. All that great stuff I have eaten over the years has added NOTHING to the quality of my life. But being fat has done a lot of damage.

Living as a fat person in our society is horrible. Studies show over and over that we are perceived as dumber, more sneaky, less capable, etc. It even affects the amount of money we can earn. We can't change our race, our sexual preference, etc. but we can change the way we are perceived via weight.

I really struggle with exercise. I used to tell myself that I was afraid to be attractive etc. etc. etc. I finally had to admit it to myself that I was just lazy. It is easier to sit on the couch and watch tv or read a magazine than it is to make myself move. And then I feel bad about myself and I don't exercise cause I am too fat.

I could write a whole book of excuses and they would all sound legitimate. But I have to be tough on myself and really come to terms with the fact that I did this to myself. And it is up to me to undo it. So, I have to keep with the low-carb and move more. There is no miracle cure, there is no easy way. I can either change my lifestyle permenently or I can be a fat person. No magic there.

Hang in there and good to know you!!! Cindi

DWRolfe
Fri, Nov-08-02, 16:28
Welcome to the forum!

I think you’ll find this to be a wonderfully supportive community. I know it’s a lifeline for me…

Have fun navigating around the site. You’ll find things well organized and links to a wealth of information.

Good luck to you!

Donald
:wave:

Talon
Sat, Nov-09-02, 07:25
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I can't speak for others, but for me I really think I was afraid to be thinner. I was comfortable/used to being fat - meaning no one expected much of me, no one really looked at me (some people have a tendancy to look "through" fat people)

I got scared this time after I lost about 25-30 pounds - people were staring to notice - which meant they were noticing ME. scary for me - I never liked being the center of attention.

I sat down with myself and had a long chat - losing weight is not only about looking different - it is about being healthier. Would I rather extend the quantity and quality of my life? Or would I rather be "comforatble" in the background of life - never really living it to its fullest.

I learned to love myself - I am doing this for me!