PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol results after over a year of LCing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:33
Well, I'd love to be able to post a subject along the lines of "My cholesterol went DOWN after eating more fat" - but it just isn't so. It did not go down. It did not go up. It's the same! Eating high fat and often times high protein had absolutely no noticeable effect on HDL, LDL, Total cholesterol or triglycerides. In fact, the numbers from 1994 (at the height of high carb / low fat) are pretty much the same as those from last Fall and last week.

Total Ch:
1994: 4.65
2001: 4.94
2002: 5.01

TG:
1994: 1.4
2001: 1.04
2002: 1.1

HDL:
1994: 1.0
2001: .90
2002: .93

LDL:
1994: 3.58
2001: 3.57
2002: 3.57

The only real change has been in thyroid function. It appears I'm now normal :) In 2001 TSH was 6.3; today it's 5.2. T4 is 13.

So my question to you savy people is this: What can I do to raise HDL further? I am taking a B vitamin, I am exercising, I am taking fish oil capsules and I have been taking Guggullipids for my thyroid (thyroid support is a side effect, they are mainly used to control cholesterol). Other than introducing some non-flushing Niacin to my daily pill popping I'm tapped out on ideas.

The Dr. did suggest that since nothing has changed much over the years that this is genetically where I am predisposed to be... any thoughts on this?

Nat (cursed with a very boring cholesterol profile)

doreen T
Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:52
Well, you could always eat real fish, to ensure the DHA and EPA are really, really fresh :p

Monounsaturates will help boost HDL .. so olives, avocados, raw nuts and seeds and their oils.

Other lifestyle factors: Smoking - Cigarette smoking adversely affects lipids, chiefly by lowering HDL cholesterol levels. Once a person quits smoking cigarettes, HDL cholesterol levels rise within weeks or months to levels comparable to those of nonsmokers. Nicotine replacement therapy (eg, use of nicotine patch, nicotine nasal spray) does not have an adverse effect on HDL cholesterol levels.

Aerobic Exercise - Generally, the key to success in altering blood cholesterol levels appears to be calories burned rather than any specific intensity, frequency or duration. Activities that repeatedly work the large muscles of the body, such as walking, jogging, rowing, aerobics, or cross-country skiing are effective.

Alcohol - studies suggest moderate alcohol consumption may have favourable effect on HDL, as well as reducing the tendency for blood to clot. But more than one or two drinks a day could cause other problems that outweigh any potential benefits to the heart.
I found a couple of articles you might be interested in .. The emerging role of HDL cholesterol (http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2000/12_00/safeer.htm): Is it time to focus more energy on raising high-density lipoprotein levels?
.. and .. HDL Cholesterol (http://www.power-nutrition.com/articles/hdlcholestrol.html).

hth,

Do

doreen T
Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:54
Forgot to add -- the first article I gave the link to .. "The emerging role of HDL cholesterol" also listed progesterones as a drug-related cause for lowered HDL. Progesterones are most commonly used in birth control pills.

Do

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:59
Do, to the rescue :)

I did a little googling myself this evening (I just read that second article and have it booked) and came to the conclusions that a) smoking has to cease (this alone should initiate a 7 point increase - american 7 points though) and b) I must start drinking the odd glass of wine every week (oh woe is me).

I alreayd burn way more than 1200 calories a week with cardiovascular exercise, I've lost fat and I do eat mainly mono- unsaturated fats. Fish, I'm working on ;)

I just caught your progresterone comment.... I think the next time (in 6 months) I am tested I'll make sure it's at the beginning of my cycle, when hormones are lower.

Thanks for the pointers!
Nat

doreen T
Wed, Nov-06-02, 20:02
Just a note on the smoking .. second-hand smoke has also been shown to lower HDL.

Do

Sheldon
Sat, Nov-09-02, 05:42
Originally posted by Natrushka
The Dr. did suggest that since nothing has changed much over the years that this is genetically where I am predisposed to be... any thoughts on this?

Don't discount this. If you're doing the right things and your HDL stays constant, then that's where your body wants to be. And maybe you shouldn't sweat it, considering the mounting evidence that cholesterol is not the problem. Rather the problems are insulin, cortisol (stress), high blood pressure, and such things.

All the best,

Sheldon

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:31
Sheldon, you're right and that's just what I'm doing, or not doing as the case may be :) Blood pressure is way down, cortisol is under control, IR has been healed thanks to LC and hypoglyceamia is no more.

It just bothered me that I expected changes and there were really none to see. I wanted an exceptional lipid profile! If nothing changes as I cease the smoking and begin to partake in some red wine over the next 6 months then I'll have to live with things the way they are, which is just fine.

The perfectionist in me isn't going to give up until then though!

Nat

agonycat
Sat, Nov-09-02, 08:35
*Reminds Nat one more time of the salmon recipe*

You gotta give it a shot! :D

Congrats on your numbers btw. I won't redo mine until next March. By that time I should really have my numbers messed up :)