PDA

View Full Version : ~New~ MWF looking for lifestyle change (Low Carbing Only)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shelley145
Mon, Nov-04-02, 19:37
Hello:
I am new to low carbing (as it is called by the pro's). I started with my max weight of 270 about 2 weeks ago and have already lost 10lbs -- I think... I have been weighing everyday and it seems to fluctuate 1-2 pounds over the last 3-4 days. After reading several posts on this forum I realized that I am not suppose to focus on the scales. So, I am going to attempt a weekly weighing rather than a daily, and then maybe move to a monthly if I fell comfortable with my success.

My story: Hum, I am still amazed that there are people out there who care about my individual life voyage, but it seems to be true so here goes.....

I am a 28-year-old mother and wife. Before I became pregnant with my son in 1996, I weighed 145lbs (5'7) and wore a size 8 in most all of my clothes. Almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I started gaining massive amounts of weight. Hey-- I was pregnant -- it was suppose to be okay right? Yeah, I know -- Big mistake ... By the time my son was born I was a whopping 250lbs ...... My son was born in May of 1997. By December of 1997, I had lost down to about 198lbs. The weight loss was unhealthy -- primarily not eating at all. I hung around the 200-210 mark until November 2000. My husband became deathly ill, and I found myself eating in the hospital cafeteria 3 times a day for 4 weeks ... It did not cause the additional 60lbs weight gain, but it started me on my way... Over the next 2 years, I picked up another 70lbs for a grand total of 270lbs on October 15, 2002.

My Breaking Point? -- I was tucking my 5 year old son into be one night - (this involves a brief resting period with him) -- While I was laying down beside him, he said "Mommy, Your not over pounds." -- It took me a minute to understand what he was saying...He was trying to say "Overweight" -- I asked him what he thought "over pounds" was considered.. He said when you have a big tummy... His complete innocence prevented me from crying right there.... but the tears were there in the dark. It really made me think about how a 5-year-old see's the world... He knew that I was not like the other smaller parents that he saw at school.. but was not quite sure how to ask me about it.

So there is my story ... now... I would like to extend my deepest gratitude for anyone who is willing to help me along the way.

wooby
Mon, Nov-04-02, 19:55
Hi Shelley

10lbs - Great Stuff :D . You will reach your goal the determination is there.

As for jumping on the scales, I used to be the same, getting on everyday and then doing best of 3. Now I weigh on Sunday morning. The reason I picked Sunday was Saturday was always my blow-out day, knowing that I have to weigh-in on Sunday keeps me focused and on track.

Keep up the good work. :roll: :wave:

mischa
Mon, Nov-04-02, 20:17
Hello shelley145

Welcome and congratulations on the 10 pounds loss :hyper:

You found the right place for information and support! It's always a good idea to start a journal, there you can write down your food intake, activity level ect. This way you can look back on things when needed...or for others to make suggestions, should you need then. I use www.fitday.com every day to keep track of my carbs, this site is free to use and a great tool.
I wish you great success and hope to read more from you

Mischa :wave:

shelley145
Mon, Nov-04-02, 20:50
Wooby -- It looks like you are new to the forum like me. It also looks like the two of us have a goal that is similar ... You too look like you are well on your way to healthy living.... I think Sunday is a great day for weight and measurements ... I will make that my day too -- Of course, my husband may have to hid the scale's for a few days -- it is such habit to step on them before I get in the shower every morning!

mischa -- thanks for the warm welcome too.... It is funny that you recommended the www.fitday.com website for tracking calories and stuff.... I just found that site after reading something under Newbie Questions -- I think the some of the comments were from you... I put in the food for today... I am a little high on my carbs (geesh they add up quick) -- I am really concerned about the calorie intake.... I had 5% carb intake and the calories were 2187 .. I know the calories do not seem to count as much as watching the carbs but it is a little scary.

mischa
Mon, Nov-04-02, 20:54
Hi shelley145,

Your calories are fine, you don't want to go to low, a good measure is to eat 10-12 times your body weight. You can deduct the fiber from your carb count as well.
Looks like you are doing fine...looking forward to read in your journal:)

Mischa

wooby
Mon, Nov-04-02, 21:58
Originally posted by shelley145
it is such habit to step on them before I get in the shower every morning! .

Just step on over them girl!

I know some people say weighing every day is good, but how can it be good if your weight fluctuates from day to day (hour to hour)? Also I don't weigh in when TOM is visiting - Oh! the emotional rollercoaster. :(

Hiding them is a good idea, make sure hubby puts them somewhere you won't find or be able to reach. I have electronic ones so I make it a habit to take out the batteries after I have weighed myself, that way I don't get tempted during the week knowing I have to put the batteries back in.

See you around the forum. (Got ta get some work done :( )

:wave: :D