PDA

View Full Version : Ok, here we go...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

VaSmith
Mon, Nov-04-02, 14:53
Hi all,

I'm new to LC'ing and I haven't really started the program yet. I'm reading the Atkins book and he makes sooo much sense. I'll be starting Induction sometime this week (after I get to the grocery store). I've been inspired to start this WOE by my sister in law who's lost 35 lbs on Atkins and looks (and feels) great. I have always been thin, until I hit my mid-forties that is. The weight just started piling on and I couldn't lose it as easily as I always had. Then last year I had a hysterectomy and started taking Premarin for HRT. Now I weigh more than I ever thought I could, have absolutely no energy and headaches everyday.

Time to change my WOL! I am a complete Chocoholic and fear that addiction will be my death. :(

Bear with me as I learn my way around these forums.

Rosebud
Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:37
Hi there Va, welcome! :wave:

I take Premarin, too. I also take some other meds which I suspect slow my weight loss some, but I am losing! That's the important thing to remember. :)

One thing Dr Atkins neglects to mention is that you may feel lousy for a few days after you start. It's just carb withdrawal and is well worth riding out. Not everyone suffers, but many of us had headaches and just "yuck" feelings. Drinking plenty of water helps.

My main advice for when you start is to try to get rid of as much of the sugar and starchy stuff from the house as you can. I took several cartons of sugar, pasta, flour etc to my (thin) sister's place and have been glad of it many times. Temptation is easier to overcome if the food is not staring you in the face! :D

Have a good look around here, matey. "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen has a lot of useful info.

All the best!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

VaSmith
Mon, Nov-04-02, 17:13
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, Rosebud. Frankly, I'm such a lazy "cook" that cleaning out my cupboard will not be hard. :rolleyes: That fact may also be my sticking point...I hate to cook! Any good advice for a literal "non-cook" on doing this LC thing right? How do I eat the LO-Carb way if I don't cook?