PDA

View Full Version : Hi all!! i'm new to the board

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Singer279
Sun, Nov-03-02, 13:41
Hi everyone,

After suffering from low blood sugar and the symptoms that come with it my entire life, I have decided to give low carb a try. I read the Keller's book for children and teens (I am a teenager) and I have 2 questions. How long does withdrawl typically take? I started the diet but the first day was so brutal I went back to carbs :( I was also very hungry and it worried me because I read that you should not be hungry on a low carb diet. for some reason no amount of protein could satisfy me. My other question is, aside from the Keller's diet, which diet/s would be best for teens? My goal is obviously to lose weight, but more important is to stabilize my blood sugar. Thanks!

melissa07
Sun, Nov-03-02, 14:08
Hi Singer & Welcome! :wave:

I don't feel competent to answer your question, but just wanted to let you know there is a Students/Teens area on the forum. If you go to the main forum page, and LC Support Focus Groups, there are many topics related to teens and low carbing there!

Good luck!

Rosebud
Sun, Nov-03-02, 14:12
Hi there Singer, welcome!

I'm not familiar with the Keller programme, unless you mean the Heller's CAD/CALP?

The trick to not feeling hungry is to eat plenty of fat. The only fats to avoid are hydrogenated or "trans" fats - found in margarine and commercially baked goods.

If you want to try another low carb plan, have a look at "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right side of the screen. The major summaries are summarized there.

Usually carb withdrawal takes 3 or 4 days, although as we are all different, there are no hard and fast rules. Drinking lots of water helps. Taking supplements helps, too. L-Glutamine and chromium help prevent sweet cravings - chromium also helps regulate blood sugar.

All the best to you, matey!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Singer279
Sun, Nov-03-02, 15:26
Thanks Melissa07 and Rosebud! I'm heading over to the Teen forum after this..

oops- I did mean the Heller program. I'm trying to eat plenty of fat--I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast. lunch is a little harder, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the suggestions and have a great day!!!