PDA

View Full Version : Introducing "Me"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

grandma
Thu, Oct-31-02, 18:27
Hi Everyone,

I've been posting and lurking for quite awhile, so I thought it was time to introduce myself. I have never done this on a message board yet. I am not yet a grandma, but will be in May, if all goes as planned for my daughter. She has PCOS so we're especially blessed that she was able to conceive, with a little help from modern medicine.

I've been fighting insulin resistence all my life and now, at age 54, I have finally found out what has been wrong with me. Food has always been a struggle for me. As a child I was malnourished and too skinny (from por eating habits practiced at home). As I got into my teens, sugar and carbos became a problem for me. I fought with my weight from the time I was 14 on.

My mother died of complications from diabetes at age 72, after years of struggling. She was addicted to sugar, just as much as any alcoholic to alcohol and it made her crazy. She would devour lbs. of candy and chocolate. She wasn't very interested in cooking well balanced meals, so I joined in with her eating junk food all my young life and teens.

After I married, I would eat a whole pound of M & M's and then a 1 lb. Hershey bar all by myself in one night. Somehow I never got too heavy but I definitely had a problem. Once I was able to lose 25 lbs. by eating low fat food, fat free pretzels and diet coke, also taking phenylpropanolomine (sp?) and walking an hour per day, seven days per week, rain or shine, year around.

I had three children and breast fed them. I also got very thin then. In the last ten years I have gained about 30 lbs. and had an increasing battle with insulin resistence, sugar and carb cravings. I have been very out-of-control. If there was chocolate or sugar in the house, I would eat all of it. The holidays have been a nightmare for many, many years.

Finally, I began reading many books on LC'ing but couldn't stay with any program, not knowing why. Finally, recently I have learned about insulin resistance and just this week, I went on Metformin, 500 mg I'm feeling a little better already. I hope and pray that Metformin will heal my insulin resistance and that I can follow the CALP program. Today I did a little better but still had to eat often.

My biggest problem has been blood sugar crashes every 2 1/2 hours. It's been a nightmare of having to eat constantly just to feel half way normal. Today, I didn't have to eat as often, but still couldn't keep to 3 meals.

I'm 5' 5 1/2" tall, age 54 and weigh 156. I have three children, been married for 30 years and live in Michigan. Well I guess that's about it. Hope this isn't too long.

Blessings 2U,
Grandma (to be in May)

Zuleikaa
Thu, Oct-31-02, 18:41
Hey Grandma

Glad to have you join us!

Don't worry, you can have up to 4 complementary meals with CAD/CALP if you need to. After a while your insulin levels will probably self-regulate.

Welcome to control for the rest of your life! :)