PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] Advice for traveling

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pegm
Thu, Oct-31-02, 12:42
We are going to Wisconsin Dells this weekend -- taking grandson and friend to an indoor water park. Need some help planning what to bring for snacks/meals. We have a suite with a refrigerator and microwave. When traveling and doing Atkins I just brought beef jerky, deli type lunch meat, mayo, almonds, and cheese.

With the Zone, I think maybe I should supplement that with some fruit and veggies -- maybe strawberries and broccoli w/dip? Also, I see they have Zone bars and even Zone meals at the grocery store. Maybe I should pick up a couple to bring along? Have you tried any of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!

lkonzelman
Thu, Oct-31-02, 13:43
My hubby and I had a stop there on our drive cross country. Very pretty country!!!

I wasn't low carbing yet but they had this place called something like "the wisconson cheese company or factory?" and it looked like a quaint old inn from the outside and kind of an old fashioned soda fountain/sundae kind of place inside. But the surprise was that they had lots of interesting vegetarian options and they had VERY GOOD food. Way better then the Denny's type places we ran across earlier.

You may (or may not) want to check it out since I really can't remember how diet friendly they were...

Either way have a blast!

pegm
Thu, Oct-31-02, 16:16
Lisa,

Thanks for the restaurant info -- we might try it there if it's open. I've never been to the Dells at this time of year before, but I was told that many of the restaurants are only open in the summer, so we might have a hard time finding places to eat! If it's closed now, we'll keep it in mind for next summer.

Peg

ZoneCoach
Fri, Nov-01-02, 00:31
Originally posted by pegm
We are going to Wisconsin Dells this weekend -- taking grandson and friend to an indoor water park. Need some help planning what to bring for snacks/meals. We have a suite with a refrigerator and microwave. When traveling and doing Atkins I just brought beef jerky, deli type lunch meat, mayo, almonds, and cheese.

With the Zone, I think maybe I should supplement that with some fruit and veggies -- maybe strawberries and broccoli w/dip? Also, I see they have Zone bars and even Zone meals at the grocery store. Maybe I should pick up a couple to bring along? Have you tried any of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for your help!

You can still bring the same stuff. How 'bout adding kiwi (1 kiwi=1 carb), strawberries are good (1 cup=1 carb), apples (1/2 apple=1 carb), brocolli (practically free unless you eat 1-1/2 cups), grapes (1/2 cup), red wine (4oz), hummus (1/4 C = 1 carb + don't forget to count it's fat - usually olive oil) Hummus would actually be a better "dip" than something mayo based. Applesauce (1/3 C), orange (1/2= 1carb), pear (1/2 = 1 carb). You can make sandwiches with Natural Oven breads - most of their high grain varieties are 1 carb per slice. Do you like cottage cheese? Here's one of my favorite combos (hey, don't knock it til you've tried it)
Blue Bunny Lite 85 strawberry yogurt
Roundy's no-fat cottage cheese
diced peach/necterine
peanut butter
Mix & enjoy!
Just figure out how many blocks you want to determine how much of each item.
For instance ~ 2 blocks would be 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 container yogurt, 1 peach, 1-1/2 teaspoons natural peanut butter. It's not EXACT, but I'm not 100% precise all of the time (you don't need to be anal on the Zone in order to be successful).
Here would be a GREAT B4 bed snack: SWEAKY curds and a glass of red wine (or some grapes)!

About the Zone meals ~ give 'em a try. They're quick ~ easy. Personally, I don't care for them. Also, I find I get hungry quicker when I have them. Not sure where you saw them since there's not too many retail sources for them (in Wi), but if you like them, you may want to make sure your retailer is going to continue carrying them. I've heard rumors......

Do you like oatmeal? If you have a chance to cook up some steel cut oats (Arrowhead Mills brand is easily found), you can heat that up in the micro to go w/breakfast. 1/3 C cooked = 1 carb.
Some ideas: 2/3C cooked oatmeal, 1/3C applesauce, cinnamon, peanut butter ~ yummy! That with some turkey bacon & you're set. I also like strawberries, oatmeal and peanut butter & Splenda. Can you tell I'm a PB nut!!!

Steel cut oatmeal is VERY Zone favorable. It's slow cooking (about 1/2 hour - 45 mins) and it's carb is slow releasing (unlike quick cooking oats). I usually make a big batch on the weekends and store in the freezer. Recycle the Blue Bunny containers! 1 container filled w/oatmeal = 2/3 cup.

Hope this helps.

Have fun in the Dells :sunny: (you can pretend it's nice & sunny)

lkonzelman
Fri, Nov-01-02, 08:05
Hello ZoneCoach-

I was looking at some of your numbers and maybe Zone people count differently but the 1 carb for fruits is way off from Fitdays numbers.

Just a couple of examples:

1 cup of Strawberrys - carb 10.67 and fiber 3.5
1 kiwi - carb 11.31 and fiber 2.58
1/2 medium apple - carb 10.52 and fiber 1.86
1/4 cup of hummus - carb 12.4 and fiber 3.14

Although these are good low carb foods they are much higher then 1 carb per servings stated.

As I said and i'm not trying to poke holes, I just wonder if i'm missing something because i'm an atkins person??? And you have obviously done well with your woe - I hope you don't take offense.

pegm
Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:14
Lisa,

I believe the '1 carb' count ZC is referring to is 1 Block, not 1 Carb. Zone counts blocks of carbs, proteins and fats.

ZoneCoach,

Thanks again for the help -- I'm going grocery shopping after work for food to take along -- I'll be sure to add the fruit. I also do like peanut butter and cottage cheese. One of my favorites is peanut butter (all natural -- no sugar added) on celery.

I will look for the steel cut oats and fructose -- I need to make a trip to a health food store. Also, thanks for the tip on the bread -- I'll try to find that brand.

The Zone meals I found were at our Super Target -- Target seems to carry a few items here that other places do not. I'll probably take a meal with me 'just in case' -- in case the crew orders out pizza -- I would have a Zone meal instead!

lkonzelman
Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:40
Thanks muchly Peg for explaining - that will help so i'm not pestering other low carbers as well.

Hope you have a great time!

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:45
Originally posted by pegm
I will look for the steel cut oats and fructose

Steel cut oats :thup: and :yum:
Fructose :thdown:

Peg, you might want to read this (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67035&highlight=Fructose) before you head out for your grocery shopping.

Nat

pegm
Fri, Nov-01-02, 12:10
Nat,

Thanks for the great link! Guess I'll stick to the Splenda when I use a sweetener (which is very seldom!).

ZoneCoach
Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:42
Originally posted by lkonzelman
Hello ZoneCoach-
I hope you don't take offense.
No offense taken.
I was looking at some of your numbers and maybe Zone people count differently but the 1 carb for fruits is way off from Fitdays numbers.

Although these are good low carb foods they are much higher then 1 carb per servings stated.
The Zone uses a method called ‘BLOCKS’
One complete block contains the following macronutrients:
7g Protein
9g Carb (always subtract the fiber)
3g Fat

A typical female should consume 11 complete blocks per day. 11 is the minimum.

Fat can be one of the tricky items. Most low fat protein sources (like chicken) contain about 1.5g “hidden”fat per (approx) 7g protein. Therefore, one must ADD another 1.5g monounsaturated fat. If the protein source is NON-fat (like egg whites), then a full 3g of fat needs to be added.
For example: You are constructing a 3 block breakfast containing no-fat cottage cheese as your protein source. 9g of fat (about 3 crushed macadamia nuts) would be added. That, with some fruit (perhaps approx. 1Cup blueberries)(remember to count the carbs in the cottage cheese) and you have a perfect breakfast.

The Zone is not high or low carb. The Zone is not high or low protein. The Zone is not high or low fat. The Zone provides ADEQUATE, balanced macronutrients for optimal hormonal (insulin) control.

If someone can help me out and give me a quick crash course on the Fitday everyone talks about, maybe ;) then I’ll have a better understanding where you’re coming from. Thanks.

Hello ZoneCoach-
I hope you don't take offense.
No offense taken.

The Zone uses a method called ‘BLOCKS’
One complete block contains the following macronutrients:
7g Protein
9g Carb (always subtract the fiber)
3g Fat

A typical female should consume 11 complete blocks per day. 11 is the minimum.

Fat can be one of the tricky items. Most low fat protein sources (like chicken) contain about 1.5g “hidden”fat per (approx) 7g protein. Therefore, one must ADD another 1.5g monounsaturated fat. If the protein source is NON-fat (like egg whites), then a full 3g of fat needs to be added.
For example: You are constructing a 3 block breakfast containing no-fat cottage cheese as your protein source. 9g of fat (about 3 crushed macadamia nuts) would be added. That, with some fruit (perhaps approx. 1Cup blueberries)(remember to count the carbs in the cottage cheese) and you have a perfect breakfast.

The Zone is not high or low carb. The Zone is not high or low protein. The Zone is not high or low fat. The Zone provides ADEQUATE, balanced macronutrients for optimal hormonal (insulin) control.

If someone can help me out and give me a quick crash course on the Fitday everyone talks about, maybe :o) then I’ll have a better understanding where you’re coming from. Thanks.

ZoneCoach
Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:47
Sorry folks!
I'll get the hang of this yet! :daze:

lkonzelman
Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:52
Hi again Zone Coach -

My this forum is interesting. I was trying to check your journal to get some examples of actual meals to try to fit what you said into meals and snacks in my head. But no journal :cry: so anyway...

Could you share a days menu to give me a better idea (even though this thread is about something totally different... sorry Peg.

And by the way... you login to fitday.com for free and you can either plug in your daily food intake and it does the nutritional breakdowns or just check an item without recording. I love it but I am quite the anal retentive compulsive dieter.

Thanks..

ZoneCoach
Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:10
Hi again Zone Coach -
Could you share a days menu to give me a better idea (even though this thread is about something totally different... sorry Peg.
Thanks..
Check out 'Sample menu' thread.
Thanks,
:read:

ZoneCoach
Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:55
Originally posted by Natrushka
Steel cut oats :thup: and :yum:
Fructose :thdown:

Peg, you might want to read this (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67035&highlight=Fructose) before you head out for your grocery shopping.

Nat

The article sited here repeatedly warns of HIGH CONSUMPTION. Chances are, the majority of the folks here on these boards do not fall into the categories discussed in the article.
Here are excerpts from it:
In fact, a trail of medical studies dating back a quarter of a century doesn't paint a terribly sweet picture for fructose. High fructose consumption has been fingered as a causative factor in heart disease. It raises blood levels of cholesterol and another type of fat, triglyceride. It makes blood cells more prone to clotting, and it may also accelerate the aging process.
As is the case with any other refined food, a little fructose won't hurt you. The problem comes with the sheer quantity of "hidden" fructose being consumed through the HFCS and sucrose in processed foods . For example, conventional and "new age" soft drinks almost universally contain 11 percent HFCS by weight-2.2 pounds per case.
There's good reason to believe that, from an evolutionary standpoint, our bodies can't handle such large quantities of sugar
Does Nielsen think fructose is safe? "I'm not going to damn fructose because in small amounts it's not a bad substance,"
All this should not dampen your taste for fresh fruit or fruit juice. The hazards associated with fructose appear to be dose dependent , according to Yudkin and other experts. If you eat predominantly natural foods, and avoid large quantities of processed foods, you have little to worry about.

As with anything, moderation is key.

Natrushka
Tue, Nov-05-02, 08:19
I merged your Fructose post with this thread, as it was in direct reply to my post already in this thread.

Originally posted by ZoneCoach
The article sited here repeatedly warns of HIGH CONSUMPTION. Chances are, the majority of the folks here on these boards do not fall into the categories discussed in the article.

The purpose of linking to the article was to ensure that those jumping on the fructose band wangon had both sides of the story - and enough information to make an informed decision.

While I agree that most of the folks on this board ('this board' referring to the entire forum, not just the Zone subforum) are making an effort to control their carb intake, many of them are also diabetic and insulin resistant.

As with anything, moderation is key. Exactly. Which makes me wonder, If you replace sucrose, splenda, aspartame, honey and cyclamates with fructose, does that constitute moderation?

Nat

ZoneCoach
Thu, Nov-07-02, 15:19

Exactly. Which makes me wonder, If you replace sucrose, splenda, aspartame, honey and cyclamates with fructose, does that constitute moderation?
Nat
IMO, anyone who is trying to replace all that "sweet stuff" is not practicing moderation.

Yes, the recipe I posted included fructose. Not a huge amount when divided out between 12 snacks which is exactly what it is intended to be. These snacks are most certainly healthier than the alternative and great for those on the run or who need a chocolate fix! :D

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:42
These snacks are most certainly healthier than the alternative and great for those on the run or who need a chocolate fix! :D

To quote one of our founders, you're not craving 'chocolate' - you're craving sugar. If you really needed a chocolate fix you would have some of the unsweetened stuff. :Puke: ;)

Nat

Sugarhigh
Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:52
To quote one of our founders, you're not craving 'chocolate' - you're craving sugar.

Thank you, Nat. It just hit me- the harsh truth. Why havent i seen it here before:)

tofi
Fri, Nov-08-02, 19:13
Not sure if it's a harsh truth but

THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

to paraphrase a famous saying.

When you realize the hold that sugar has on you, you are on the road to setting yourself free from it.

:wave:

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-08-02, 20:37
Sugar, as BarB said, you have to be willing to see it. It's amazing to me how many unhappy months I spent being fat when it was right there in the mirror every time I looked.

Nat

ZoneCoach
Tue, Nov-12-02, 22:48
To quote one of our founders, you're not craving 'chocolate' - you're craving sugar. If you really needed a chocolate fix you would have some of the unsweetened stuff. :Puke:
Nat I was being facetious. I'm sorry it was not interpreted that way. What's wrong with an ocassional sweet treat anyway?

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-13-02, 08:21
I was being facetious. I'm sorry it was not interpreted that way.

One of the pitfalls of online discussion; nuances are lost. You're right, I interpreted your remark, this one and others, as zealous, rather than playfully jocular.

While I realize you post exclusively in the Zone sub-forum, this is a low carb support forum and many of our members follow plans other than the Zone. They do, however, read posts all over the boards. Replies and information, while they may be directed at one individual, help (or confuse) others.

What's wrong with an ocassional sweet treat anyway? This depends on whether you're a carb addict or not, IMHO.

Nat

ZoneCoach
Sun, Nov-17-02, 23:34
One of the pitfalls of online discussion; nuances are lost. Agreed

While I realize you post exclusively in the Zone sub-forum, this is a low carb support forum and many of our members follow plans other than the Zone. They do, however, read posts all over the boards. Replies and information, while they may be directed at one individual, help (or confuse) others. [/B]
Yes, unfortunately, not everyone will interpret the written word the same. Heck ~ look how many interpretations there are of the Bible. :daze:
[This depends on whether you're a carb addict or not, IMHO.[/B] I fogot how tough that area can be for some.