PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] ZoneCoach -- Please Help -- Calories Too Low!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pegm
Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:32
I think I must be doing something wrong. Yesterday I had:

Turkey lunch meat; fruit salad made with apples, oranges and pears w/non-fat plain yogurt for breakfast

Broccoli (raw) w/1-1/2 tsp. dressing; low fat cottage cheese for snacks

Roasted pork tenderloin, cooked broccoli, green beans for lunch

Broiled scallops, salad w/oil & vinegar dressing; squash; broccoli, cauliflower, carrot blend for dinner.

110 oz. water, 2 cups coffee, 2 cups green tea

According to Fitday, my calories were 867 for the day!!! Fat and protein ratio was too high and carbs too low (but I think the ratio is off because the carbs and calories are too low). What am I doing wrong? What should I change?

Today, so far, I've had:

1/2 a grapefruit; 2 oz. turkey lunch meat w/1 tsp. mayo for breakfast

1 cup broccoli w/1 tsp. ranch dressing for snack

3 oz. broiled scallops; 1/2 cup squash; 1 cup broccoli, cauliflower, carrot blend for lunch

Planned for rest of day:

For snack I have with me (at work) 2 oz. roasted chicken breast and 1/2 cup fruit blend (peaches, strawberries, grapes -- frozen, thawed)

For dinner, I have planned meatballs w/spahetti sauce (I might have about 1/4 cup of the whole wheat pasta I cook for DH and son); salad w/oil and vinegar dressing; green beans

If I can stay awake long enough for a snack, plan on having an apple.

Does this sound alright? Anything I should change?

I really appreciate your help!

ZoneCoach
Tue, Oct-29-02, 15:58
Yes, you are correct ~ you're not eating enough! It appears you are not balancing each meal or snack . Everytime you eat, it needs to be a 40/30/30 ratio (until we get into fine tuning down the road ~ if needed).
Originally posted by pegm
I think I must be doing something wrong. Yesterday I had:

Turkey lunch meat; fruit salad made with apples, oranges and pears w/non-fat plain yogurt for breakfast

Some monounsaturated fat would help round out this meal, perhaps some almonds (I don't know the protein counts on your yogurt and deli-meat). Assuming 21g protein, I would add 9 almonds, perhaps more depending on how much fat was in the deli meat.

[B] Broccoli (raw) w/1-1/2 tsp. dressing; low fat cottage cheese for snacks
Roasted pork tenderloin, cooked broccoli, green beans for lunch
For snack I have with me (at work) 2 oz. roasted chicken breast and 1/2 cup fruit blend (peaches, strawberries, grapes -- frozen, thawed)[B]

Again, you need some added fat.

[B]1 cup broccoli w/1 tsp. ranch dressing for snack[B]

There needs to be some protein here.

[B]If I can stay awake long enough for a snack, plan on having an apple.[B]

Have 1/2 an apple a piece of string cheese. (The apple alone would have you waking up famished!!!!) ;o)

The additional fat will bring the calorie count up (it should come out to be around 1100). You may also be short-changing yourself on the carbs. Do you like garbanzo beans or black beans? Just a 1/4C added to a salad will add one more carb to the meal.
I hope this helps.

pegm
Wed, Oct-30-02, 12:42
Thanks, ZoneCoach. I will try to add some beans for more carbs -- even today I noticed they are too low, so the fat/carb ratio is off -- protein seems to be good.

I might be a bit higher on the calories and fat today (estimate 1350) because it's my 31st wedding anniversary and I am making steak for supper (higher fat and calories than fish or chicken) -- but it's a special occasion and I can bring the count down tomorrow.

ZoneCoach
Wed, Oct-30-02, 14:39
Originally posted by pegm
Thanks, ZoneCoach. I will try to add some beans for more carbs -- even today I noticed they are too low, so the fat/carb ratio is off -- protein seems to be good.

I might be a bit higher on the calories and fat today (estimate 1350) because it's my 31st wedding anniversary and I am making steak for supper (higher fat and calories than fish or chicken) -- but it's a special occasion and I can bring the count down tomorrow.
Congratulations on 31 years!
It's hard to adjust from thinking "calorically" to thinking "hormonally", but try not to put too much emphasis on the calories. Following Zone guidelines will automatically have you in the lower calorie range. It is more important to balance each meal and assess how you feel 2-5 hours after eating that meal. If you are mentally focused and not hungry, you had a good Zone meal for YOU. If you're foggy-headed or hungry, some adjustments need to be made. Don't fret if you "mess up" a meal. The beauty of the Zone is you can get right back in it on your next meal.
Enjoy your dinner this evening and get back at it tomorrow!