PDA

View Full Version : Swpii

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

grandma
Sat, Oct-26-02, 11:33
Hi Everyone,

I've been here off and on mostly as a lurker. I just finished SWPII and I think it is very good. It does seem complicated though, almost as though you would hve to work with an MD who understands all of the implications of natural hormone therapy. What if you don't know if you're IR and your adrenals are burned out?

I just had a saliva test to check my hormone levels. It said that my adrenal function was a bit low and I have low cortisol and am borderline diabetic. I'm taking a product called UltraGlycemix, sold by Metagenics, which has helped my IR (insulin resistence)immensely. This was prescribed by an MD, who works with natural hormone replacement therapy. She also wants me to take DHEA, Serenagin and Adroset to stimulate adrenal function. These supplements (herbs I assume) wipe me out so I can only take them at bedtime and only half, sometimes only 1/3 the amount she originally prescribed.

My question is: This product (UltraGlycemix) I take has 10 g or protein and about 16 g's of useable carbs. Do you think I can do this with Schwarzbein's program and just keep to the 15G's of carbs for snacks and meals? I don't want to go off of this product because if I do, I'll probably end up taking Metformin, which I hear can be really hard on your system. The product I'm taking is just vitamins, chromium and other suppplements, in the form of a chocolate shake. I add 1 T. of flaxseed oil to it also.

Sorry this is so long but I guess I'm just needing some support here!

Thanks for "listening."

Grandma (in May)

JudyAH
Sun, Oct-27-02, 11:51
If the product is helping, don't change that part of your life. Why not count the supplement as a meal and incorporate it into your daily routine.

On a another side of this question, is it possible to get the vitimins and nutrients in another format, that is not a protein shake?

There is no law that says you can only be on this plan if you follow all of the rules. Everthing you do to help yourself along the path is that much prgress you have made away the the CARBSIDE. :thup: You've done a great job up to this point. Your well on your way and I hope you will stay the course with us.

Lila2002
Mon, Oct-28-02, 19:26
Grandma,

I agree that the shake should not be a reason not to do Schwarzbein. I would just count it as a meal or snack. It sounds like you have worked with a Dr who understands what this is all about. Are you still seeing her? What type of tests did she do?

Lila

grandma
Tue, Oct-29-02, 19:53
Hello,

Thanks for your replys. I am to see this Dr. again in December. She had me take a saliva test and the results were shipped to a lab in the Smokey Mts. You have little vials in which you collect samples over several days, about 18 days into your cycle. They are kept refrigerated then they are sent by express mail. Usually insurance co's will pay for these lab tests. They are to determine hormone levels for pre-or-menopausal women. It was very interesting to do. You get a wonderful print out in return.

I'm taking it one day at a time.

Blessings,
Grandma (to be in May)

Isolde
Sat, Nov-02-02, 11:44
Originally posted by grandma
Hello,

...this Dr. ... had me take a saliva test ... You have little vials in which you collect samples over several days, about 18 days into your cycle. They are kept refrigerated then they are sent by express mail. Usually insurance co's will pay for these lab tests. They are to determine hormone levels for pre-or-menopausal women. It was very interesting to do. You get a wonderful print out in return.

Grandma -

Is there a specific medical name for this test? It sounds like exactly what I am looking for, but before I appraoch my Dr I would like to have the name of the test so there is no confusion about which test I am referring to.

:) Many thanks for your assistance!

~Isolde