PDA

View Full Version : [SB] sugar Buster and Glycemic Index Cookbooks

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

RonaMoore
Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:24
Hi!
I wondered if a thread of the available cookbooks for this plan, whether Sugar Busters, or Low Glycemic Index cookbooks might not be helpful for those on this forum. I have several, but I'm not sure I have them all. I know one can't take out recipes because of copyright laws, but I can't see where any of the authors would be upset about a synopsis of the sorts of recipes, whether they were easy or difficult, whether you had tried some of the recipes and found them good, etc. In a time where many of us have to watch our money as well as our waistlines, finding a book that has the sort of food one enjoys, without wasting money on books that mostly have recipes one despises, could come in handy. I know, I bought several books for the Atkins diet that I just gave away because they went way overboard with adding fat.
I'll start with Sugarfree New Orleans. This cookbook is written by Deanie Comeaux Bahan. It has an intro discussing the Glycemic Index very well and has quite an extensive chart with many of the common foods on it.
Then she goes into Appetizers such as Feta and Blue Cheese Dip, Curried Crab Spread, a spicy Guacamole, Piquant Pecans, Mushrooms Italiano, Veggie Pickles, Sweet Potato Chips, New Orleans Red Bean Dip, Pita Scoops, etc. Salads, most with a Creole flair, a myriad of dressing recipes. Soups, my favorite section because she has so many recipes that aren't cream soups. Two minestrone recipes, onion soup, Bayou Bouillabaisse, vegetable soups, Bucktown Bean Soup, etc. Vegetables, these recipes are mostly the kind you'd take to a potluck or serve to company. Seafood, several shrimp recipes, crawfish recipes, catfish and trout recipes. Poultry: Most of these recipes are higher in olive oil than we would use at our own home, but they are mostly French and Italian inspired, the turkey recipes excepted, as her Turkey a'la King looks good as does her Roasted Turkey breast. Meats: This has a lot of the classic meat dishes like Beef Stroganoff, Chilli, meatloaf to lasagna, Rosita's Greek Hamburger, a recipe called Together Tacos, which is a sort of Taco casserole using shredded triscuts with cheese as the topping. She also has recipes for pork chops and lamb. And last, but not least, Desserts: she starts with two chocolate sauces, Raspberry Mousse, Cheesecake, a couple of ice cream pies, and several other recipes with blueberrys and other fruit.
Hope this helps
Rona :wave:

molly1844
Sat, Oct-26-02, 07:22
I love this idea Rona! I have SF New Orleans too and love it.

I also have SugarBust for Life by the Brennans.
SB for Life has a handy food list divided into categories: Food for Feasting (low GI); Foods for Moderation (medium GI); and Forbidden Foods (high GI). I do question a couple of items on the Forbidden List - carrots of course have been retested and are now considered ok (not so I assume when the book was published) and they list prunes which have a GI of 29. So I don't understand the inclusion of prunes as forbidden food.

The next chapter has a great section of already planned menus. Very useful when you are first getting started.

And there is just some solid info about Low GI Eating.

For those who wory about fat there is info about modifying the recipes for Lower Fat .

Many of the recipes are from their restaurant in New Orleans.

Here's a sampling:
Cream of Artichoke Soup Horseradish Sauce
Louisianna Colesaw
Lemon Baked Fish
Buttermilk Chicken :yum:
Sweet Potatoes with Lime
Hot Fudge Sauce
Almond Lemon cookies

There are also several bread recipes including some for the bread machine.

The book concludes with a very nice Brand name Market Guide.

I use this book a lot.

molly :D