PDA

View Full Version : LC Bread

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rob_55
Thu, Jun-21-01, 08:33
I'm new to low carbing. (2 days) I tried the LC bread recipe last night that I found in here yesterday. Its great! I mixed the ingredients in my bread maker, then took it out and let it rise for about an hour, then baked at 350 for about 50 minutes. Fantastic. The texture is heavier than regular bread, but delicious. As an added treat this morning for breakfast, I mixed some cinnamon and sweet-n-low and sprinkled it on. Tasty!

tina3869
Thu, Jun-21-01, 08:48
I'm confused Rob...this is only day 3 for me. When I went to the recipe section and looked at the Lo Carb bread it said "60 carbs" and on the induction diet (Atkins) it says you can only have 20 carbs a day. Is there another bread listed with less carbs than 60?

Thanks for you help....

Tina

agonycat
Thu, Jun-21-01, 09:16
Tina :) it is 60 carbs per loaf, or around 4 gms per slice. Much better than the 12-15 gms per slice of normal breads.

:)

rainny
Thu, Jun-21-01, 09:21
Isn't that for the complete loaf? Not per slice? Another good quick bread for the bread machine is carbolite bread...about 2 carbs per slice. Has the heavy texture...but not as bad as the other bread machine breads...and a much better flavor...my 9 year old thinks it taste like luby's rolls! That say something by it's self!
I have everything to make the recipe here...just not the time!ha!:D YET!:p
Hey Keto products also have pancake mixs thats good to! I haven't tried the pizza dough yet. But I have it.

Also...you may want to consider switching to splenda...and get away from the chem's sweetners. Much better for you. AND TASTE SOOOOOOO GOOD! Just like sugar! texture and all!

Lorraine

Sharon
Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:18
Which bread recipe did you make???

Rob_55
Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:30
I used the lc bread recipe from atomhockeymom. You can find it at the top under the red banner for recipes. Then scroll down to breads.

It is about 2g of carb per slice, but I found this morning that 2 slices filled me up and it lasted until noon with no hunger pangs.

Its really simple to make, but if you use a regular oven watch out for overbaking. The crust will just start to appear brown and slightly crusty when its done. Its tastes great and fills your kitchen with that super fresh-baked bread smell. Yum.

tina3869
Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:31
Thanks agonycat and Lorriane, guess I need to learn how to read a recipe, huh? 4 grams per slice sounds a lot better than 60 grams per slice....and I think my kids would even like it, perhaps I can get them off that Wonder Bread?

Sharon, I haven't actualy made any bread. I read Rob's comment on LC bread and went to the recipe section to look it up I beleive it was titled "Lo carb bread" anway, I apparetnly I read the carb content wrong and thought it said 60 grams per slice not 60 grams per loaf.

Sorry guys

tina3869
Thu, Jun-21-01, 11:38
Thanks for the directions Rob, the bread sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it!

All the recipes seem to call for either gluton or soy flour. Can you buy gluton and soy flour at a regular grocery store? Would it be in the baking section with the rest of the flour?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Rob_55
Thu, Jun-21-01, 12:49
Hi Tina: Yes I found both Gluten and Soy in a regular grocery store. I used the Gluten flour last night. May try the soy next time but the gluten was really good.

Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

By the way, anyone know if natural honey is okay for LC diet???

agonycat
Thu, Jun-21-01, 14:17
honey=pure sugar=blood sugar going up=carb cravings
(17 gms per tbls)

I wouldnt use it if I were you. Stick to the no carb sweetners.

tina3869
Thu, Jun-21-01, 14:50
I was hoping that someone would say "Honey? Why yes, honey is perfectly ok to eat on an LC diet" but I kinda figured you wouldn't..... hahaha

17 grams? For a little ole tablespoon? I only get 20 grams a day so it doesn't seem worth it to use up most of my carbs on a little tablespoon of honey. Now if we were talking about a bowl of ice cream.....just kidding, I'm guessing the same rule would apply there, right?

Ice cream=sugar=blood sugar going up=carb cravings

We'll just have to find something else to put on that great tasting bread, right Rob?

Sharon
Thu, Jun-21-01, 17:33
Hi breadmakers...the recipe I've had the most success with is Kay's Final Protein Bread recipe...which is very similar to the one Rob mentioned. I fine 30 minutes is lots of time to bake it in the oven...overbaking creates a thicker crust.

I sometimes take a couple pieces to the office with Smuckers or ED Smith Sugar Free Jam and like Rob says, it fills you right up. It's like eating a porkchop!!!

Rob_55
Fri, Jun-22-01, 10:17
Tina: I'm disappointed about the honey, but my sweet tooth demands that I find something to substitute for sugar. I guess I'll look for some LC jelly or something similar.

One thing about the bread is that you may want to keep it refrigerated. Without preservatives and with the yeast, it may start to mold on you.

And yes indeed. It is filling. Two slices and a couple of hardboiled eggs in the morning and I don't get famished before lunch. In fact, yesterday I was barely hungry when noon rolled around, so I just had another slice of bread and one egg.

tina3869
Fri, Jun-22-01, 11:30
I have to get up off my lazy butt and buy some of that special flour and some sugar substitute! There are all kinds of desert recipies on this site and others, but they all call for sugar substitutes...I keep searching as if I am eventualy going to find one that allows a pound of sugar! LOL

One question, I noticed in your first post (about the bread) you said you "took it out of the bread maker, let it rise and hour, and then baked it" why did you take it out of the bread maker? why did you bake it in an oven instead of leaving it in the breadmaker? At what point did you take it out...after the kneading cycle? My machine kneads then rises, then kneads and rises a second time, and then bakes.

Sorry to keep buggin you about this bread, especialy since I haven't even got the flour yet.

Tina

tina3869
Fri, Jun-22-01, 14:45
OK I searched every isle of the grocery store and could not find gluton or soy flour. I could find whole whet, rye, con unbleached and a couple hundred other kinds but no gluton and no soy.

I even asked the box boy and he says "flour? Look in the flour isle" Gee thanks buddy that would have never crossed my mind.... hahahaha

Can somone tell me the name of the store where I can get it or the name of the company that makes the flour?

Thanks alot

Sharon
Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:19
I'm not Rob, but I'll give you my opinion...on why I bake my bread in the oven....I find it makes a nicer loaf...less crust. My breadmaker makes and upright loaf of bread and I prefer the traditional style of a loaf.

Tina, I buy gluten and soy flour at a "bulk" type store. I know in the States Bob Mills Gluten Flour is available. It's a little harder to find here in Canada, but available in some places. I buy most of my baking ingredients just at the local "Bulk Barn" as it's much cheaper.

I'm not a personal fan of soy flour....but I'm sure there are lots of folks who are.

Rob and Tina....I've made this bread into buns as well....just to add a little variety to it.

tina3869
Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:27
Alright I've had it!! I'm moving to Canada! I think ya'll are horing all the good low carb stuff from us yanks hahaha...just kidding Sharon. I guess my next step is to call all the local grocery stores and ask if they carry it (beats drivng all over town). I think what you call a bulk store is what we call "Sam's Club" (like a giant Wal-Mart that sells stuff in mamoth sizes). I'm not sure where one is near me since we just moved here but if the grocery store calling doesn't work I'll go that route.

Thanks for the tips.

Tina

Deirdre
Fri, Jun-22-01, 16:21
No, a bulk store isn't like Sam's club or Costco. We have Costco here. It's a store where everything is in bins and you scoop out however much you want and put it in bags or containers. I'm not sure but maybe Trader Joe's is like that? Sometimes there are bulk sections in grocery stores too but they usually don't have as much variety. Some of this stuff is also in the organic sections of larger grocery stores.

tamarian
Fri, Jun-22-01, 16:54
Also checkout the larger supermarkets with huge isles, they make room for such products. Bakeries and bakery suppliers can tell you where to find them. And they are definitly available at "vegetarian" type stores and the organic type stores.

If all fails, you can order online directly from Bob's red mill. We have their link under (Shopping/manufacturers).

Wa'il

Norma June
Sat, Jun-23-01, 16:39
Hi all, I ust had an idea. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a review section attached to the recipes?

In another recipe forum (can't remember the name now ... I think it was About.com ... ) you read a recipe and you can click on comments & suggestions people have posted. It was really helpful. Any way we could do that here?

I thought of this when I was reading what one person said about how tasty a bread recipe was and I went to check out the recipe only to find it was for a bread machine. I don't care for the hockey puck sized loaves the machines make so I was a tad dissappointed. :confused:

It would have been great to know in advance if the recipe is for bread machines or oven and clicking on comments attached to recipes might include a comment saying "I did this in the overn and .... "

Just a thought.

Ciao,
Norma June :D

tamarian
Sat, Jun-23-01, 17:00
Norma,

This is a brilliant idea!!

Let me think about it. There are a couple of ways we can do this, both may take some time since it requires some scripting.

Method 1: Keep the comments on the same page. This may make the page too long sometimes.

Method 2: Supply a link at the bottom of each recipe that will take you to this forum and a special thread created for each recipe in the recipe section for comments, questions and discussion.

I prefer option 2. I'll put down on my to-do list, and if I forgot, please remind me :)

Wa'il

Norma June
Sun, Jun-24-01, 06:57
Wa'il .... yippee! I think #2 would be workable and more simplistic. Now ahem ... could you please remind me to remind you about this? :D I hate to say it but these old grey cells don't work as good as they used to. When I go down into the basement to get something outta the freezer I have to write myself a note or I forget what I went down there for. :confused:

Ciao & Hugs, Norma June

debbiedobson
Sun, Jun-24-01, 08:17
i think #2 is a great idea! chapters has something like that for their book reviews! norma, i'll try to remember to remind you to remember to remind wa'il!:D

tina3869
Sun, Jun-24-01, 08:39
Well I'm new to this site so my 2 cents may not be worth much but since I'm the dope that basicaly got this LC bread thread started I'll give it a hollar........I like option #2.

I'll try to remember to remind Debbie, to remind Norma, to remind Wa'il!!

Tina

Sharon
Sun, Jun-24-01, 09:22
Norma June....I'm not sure which bread recipe you're making...but I make Kay's Final Protein bread in my machine...and bake it in the oven and my g.f. makes it totally by hand...and we both get huge loafs.

In fact, I had to drop the rake in my oven when I make it because if I bake in the middle where I usually do it rises so much it touches to top element and burns...I've had to rescue two loaves for this reason, until now I finally remember (my grey cells are starting to control too)...to drop it before turning the oven on.

In all honesty....I have had great luck with bread.....because I share with my LLP I often make two loaves a week..

tamarian
Sun, Jun-24-01, 10:00
LOL, who's going to remind Tina? :)

Wa'il

debbiedobson
Sun, Jun-24-01, 13:03
hehehehehehe!:D

Norma June
Sun, Jun-24-01, 13:21
Wa'il ..... do you think you could remember to remind Tina to remind Debbie to remind me to remind you about this please? :)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Norma June
Sun, Jun-24-01, 13:36
Sharon,

You said ... "but I make Kay's Final Protein bread in my machine...and bake it in the oven and my g.f. makes it totally by hand...and we both get huge loafs".

Could you please ask your g.f. how she makes it entirely by hand? Betty Crocker I'm not!
:D

Thanks mucho.

Ciao,
Norma June

Sharon
Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:59
Hi...when I get back to the office I'll talk to my g.f. and get her specific instructions on Kay's Bread "by hand". We discussed it and I'm sure she makes it the same as you would any high carb white flour bread without a machine.

I think the only difference is that the machine does the work of kneading...especially nice if you have bad wrists...because the gluten flour is a lot tougher to knead than the traditional "white flour". Also gluten flour is more sticky on the counter top to clean up...my breadmachine has a telfon type finish which everything just falls off of...so that's why I let it do the mixing.

Wa'ils bread is great if you make it by hand......and would definitely be my choice if I'm doing bread by hand. Infact thinking about it....now has me wanting a piece. For me I seem so busy this time of the year that just throwing the ingredients in the machine and then baking is the quickest for me.

Sorry you didn't have good luck...I know that feeling..... I've made a few loaves of bread myself that I don't think even the raccoons would come to steal.

I know for those of you who haven't found a bread recipe you like...hang in there...eventually if bread is something you're really missing...you will find a recipe that works for you.

If I can do it, anyone can!!.. We have to remember the ingredients in most of the baking we use for low carb are totally different that the high carb taste we "were" used to. I've found some things I've had to acquire a taste for. Protein bread is much denser...more filling that traditional white bread. I'll take a picture of my next loaf...so you can see my results.

Stay tuned.....I'm off a couple days, but when I get back to work...I'll see if I can get some specifics to pass on.

Kay
Sun, Jun-24-01, 22:49
Hi kids

If you are looking for the bread recipe I posted, it is called Final Bread. That's because I spend days experimenting with every low carb bread recipe I could find. I ended up with a lot of low-carb bread in my freezer. I was going for flavour, resemblance to real bread, and most of all, lowest possible carbs per slice.
http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread116.html

(Sharon, I love the cheerleading section!)

The recipe says to take it out of the breadmaker and let it rise because you are not supposed to try to make vital wheat gluten flour dough rise a second time. I do not have a quick bread cycle so cooking it in the oven is the only choice for me. Also, as Sharon points out, the traditional shape is very nice, and no holes in the bottom. When you are eating slices this thin, you don't want to have to deal with holes!!!

Rob_55
Tue, Jun-26-01, 08:09
The flour name fooled me too. Its labeled as wheat gluten, not flour. I've found it in all the larger local grocery stores here in Fargo. The reason I knead the bread in my bread maker then remove it and bake in an oven is because I saw another post where somebody couldn't get the bread out of their breadmaker after it baked, but also because I toast it, make sandwiches with it, and I'm going to make french toast with it. Bread maker bread is too big for my toaster. I supposed if you sprayed your bread maker with LC non-stick spray it would work fine too.

Anyway, I just let my breadmaker knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes then take it out and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. Yesterday it only took 30 minutes and it got almost as big as a normal loaf. I saw another posting in here that said the LC bread will rise once okay, but with wheat gluten it won't rise too well a second time.

I love chocolate and am still looking for a LC chocolate recipe I can pig out on. Anybody got a recipe for chocolate cookies with LC flour and Splenda?

Sharon
Mon, Jul-02-01, 20:47
I promised a couple of weeks ago to post the instructions for Kay’s Final Bread, made by hand. Although I have not made this bread by hand by girlfriend has and I have seen her results. The following is the method she uses. For the complete recipe and ingredients check the Recipes Section (Bread and Pasta) of the board under Final Bread by Kay.

HAND METHOD:

Note: use a pkg. of dry yeast instead of 2.5 tsp. of machine yeast.

Soften active dry yeast in ¾ cup of warm water (110 degrees) with 1 tsp. sugar. Combine whipping cream, oil, and beaten eggs. Blend yeast and cream mixture together just before adding to the flour mixture.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. (gluten flour, oat flour, whey protein, salt, ground flax seed meal, stevia, baking power and salt).

Add the yeast/cream mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together. Turn out on to a lightly (gluten) floured surface and kneed until smooth. Will take approximately 10 minutes. The dough will be more sticky to work with than “white flour”.

As Kay indicated, put it in a non-stick pan greased pan, cover and let rise 60-70 minutes.

HINTS:

These are little hints that may help you either for machine or hand made bread.

I have great luck by setting my heating pad on one of the lowest settings and putting my covered bread on it to rise. Here in Canada where it’s nice and warm now you might not find this necessary, but in the winter this helps give an even temperature for the bread to rise.

Also, Kay indicates baking for 50 minutes. I find that 30 minutes bakes the crust to my liking, but I like a light crust. I should also mention that I have to bake on the lower rake in my oven to keep the bread from touching the top element and that could cause it to bake a little faster.

When I take the bread from the oven when it’s still hot I brush it with butter, which makes the crust softer as well.

I cut my bread with an electric knife and that makes it easier to get thin slices.

Good luck, I hope I haven’t missed anything….I had this on the weekend with tuna, a slice of tomato, lettuce, a piece of bacon, and sliced cheddar cheese……….ymmmmmmy.

I have attached pictures to show you my results.

Kay did a great job putting this recipe together….thanks again Kay.

slawrie
Sun, Feb-02-03, 11:39
Hi Sharon and Kay, Thx. for the bread pictures. Gonna make that bread today. It's not rising in my breadmaker, so I'll take it out and do it in the oven. I'll let you know. slawrie.

nicksmom
Thu, Feb-06-03, 10:19
OH, that bread looks wonderful! Thanks for posting the pix! :thup:

nicksmom
Thu, Feb-06-03, 10:25
Pardon me for asking a dumb question....... if I can't find oat flour, is it possible to put some oatmeal in my food processor and pulverize it down to flour?

VickyRenee
Sat, Feb-22-03, 10:13
I couldnt find oat flour either, so I just made up for it with the wheat gluten, soy and flaxseed meal....to make the amount called for with oat flour.

Red
Mon, Feb-24-03, 08:30
That's not a silly question! Yes, you can make oat flour yourself! Its simple and best of all...CHEAP!!
Grind it up finely in a coffee grinder or food processor. You can make all your nut flours this way as well.
Happy baking!!

Carolyn - Currently freezing to death in Saskatchewan during our present cold snap -35! this morning :tears:

muweek
Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:36
Thanks for the help and the recipe. I will give it one more try and let you know. When a recipe calls for whey protein, is that the whey protein drinks that you buy at a health food store , just like the soy protein? I am new to this low-carbing and am trying to find out the difference between, whey protein, soy protein, whey powder, soy powder? Recipes call for different things and I'm not sure if its just a different form of the word, Help!!

doreen T
Mon, Sep-08-03, 23:15
hi there,

I really hope this recipe is The One, after all your previous efforts :)

Here's some info. about all the different types of soy products .. flour, powder, protein isolate etc ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9493

This post should answer questions about gluten, vital wheat gluten and gluten flour .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34460

And here's some advice about whey protein vs. whey powder .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=1257919#post1257919

Doreen

RobB
Tue, Sep-09-03, 11:26

muweek
Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:19
Well, loved the pics of Kay's Final Bread and thought I would attempt it. First let me tell you that I am a GREAT COOK AND BAKER and not too much can ever be a challenge to me (using traditional methods and ingredients). However, this recipe go the best of me! I followed the instructions exactly but did not end up with a finished product such as the pics. It only rose to have the size in the loaf pan so either my preheated oven was too warm (warmed just like the instructions) and it didn't rise but actually began baking because of the heat. The oven was off but my husband placed a bowl of cooked chicken wings in their to keep warm part way through the rising. I dont know if this would affect it at all but it wasnt hard or spongey. If it had risen properly, i think it would have turned out right. All my ingredients are fresh but the dough was quite sticky when I was needing it. Any suggestions? Other CAD members eat regular bread at reward meal but I was trying to make it for breakfast or lunch and count the carbs. Oh well, I think I will give it a rest. Thanks anyway.

doreen T
Sun, Sep-14-03, 07:30
hi there,

I'm sorry you didn't have success with this recipe either .. so disappointing to put the effort and expense into it. Can you at least make thin slices for toast, or maybe make thin dry "melba toasts" out of it???

One thought occured to me when you described the dough as being very sticky .. it shouldn't be. And that made me recall way back in my bread-baking days -- home-made sourdough every day .. except in the summer. Rarely did summer bread ever rise properly .. I beleive it was due to the high humidity in the air. Don't know if that's a problem for you in Manitoba too?? But it just seemed that dense humid air = dense humid loaves. Dry winter air makes for better bread. In summer I tended to just make tortillas and flatbreads.

Just a thought :idea:

Doreen

muweek
Sun, Sep-14-03, 19:30
Thanks Doreen, come to think of it, it was raining all day yesterday and we havent had rain since the end of June. That could be it because my house does get humid with cooking and baking. I actually threw it out AGAIN and think I will take a break for now. I WILL NOT GIVE UP! Maybe in a couple of weeks, i will try again. Alot of other recipes that we have tried are really good so one out of the whole batch so far isnt bad. Its not like we are aching because we dont have bread, but it is now a challenge to me and I intend to win. I WILL BAKE A GOOD LOAF OF BREAD

CathyOh
Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:33
Just made this bread last night after reading everyone's great reviews. It was easy to make and looked just like the photos! My 14 year old son enjoyed a toasted pb sandwhich this morning using the bread. I don't mind him eating it since I know it is LC and has a decent amount of protein too. Thanks for such a great and easy recipe! I've tried a number of others but this was by far the easiest and tastiest yet.

chubybuddy
Tue, Dec-23-03, 09:08
I found soy flour in my health food section. And the gluten I have not purchased yet.
I also found that the bread products upset my stomache? So I don't use the flours at
all.
I love the waffles made with pork rinds. I have to wait to eat them as the syrup is not
on induction but, someday they will be waiting for me.

A friend of mine on the same diet makes sandwhiches out of the waffles. Like a monte' Cristo. Does anyone remember those?

I used to be such a bread eater..that was my downfall. Loaves of raison,walnut, bread.
I remember now how it used to give me indigestion also. But, I ate it anyway.
I have not had indigestion since starting Atkins.

But, love the waffles.

Kristina

sexee_babe
Tue, Jan-27-04, 09:07
I am wondering if I could make a loaf of bread with just soy flour substituted with regular flour with same ingrediants of regular flour white bread?

I didn't try it yet cause I know nothing about soy, I don't have gluten or flax seed....so if anyone had any suggestions for this, let me know.

Mac1
Tue, Jan-27-04, 13:53
Bob's Red Mill brand is the most common supermarket supplier of gluten flour in my area, as well as a whole line of other useful things such as wheat bran, rice bran, and other such things you may see listed in lc recipes...if the grocery store doesn't carry that brand or any others, the next best bet would be a health food store or natural foods market. soy flour, soy powder, whey protien powder, gluten and whatever else you may need should be readily available. best of luck!

Avlev
Sun, Mar-14-04, 04:51
sorry if someone's already asked this, but can you substitute plain soy protein isolate for the vanilla whey protein?

med234
Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:59
I can't find the bread recipe.
Can you post the link, or copy it, please?

med234
Tue, Apr-13-04, 13:58
Yesterday I couldn't find the recipes link. Today I fond it, and printed the 2 bread recipes. Now I have to find somewhere that sells wheat gluten flour.