PDA

View Full Version : Summer SAD

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Wed, Jun-20-01, 12:15
I've copied here a post I wrote elsewhere on the forum, in case someone else may find the information helpful in some way... :)
[As a matter of fact, there IS a summer SAD. I'm having difficulty locating any meaningful information online ... there's a book though, "Don't be SAD", by Celeste Peters, well-written and a whole chapter devoted to the spring/summer depressive pattern. Your library might have a copy to borrow.

It seems the summer variant is mediated more by a thermal dysregulation ... ie, it's the heat and humidity .. more than lack or excess of available sunlight. As with all areas of our mental well-being though, no studies conclusive ... and most theories are just that .. theories. One theory suggests the heat factor affects the sleep patterns, hence you become lethargic, lack energy and just generally blah. The bright light therapy, so helpful for winter SAD (I use a lightbox myself, it makes all the difference in the world ... but I digress :rolleyes: ....) is less effective for summer SAD. Cooler climate, getting sleep patterns regulated, and dietary control (in particular carbs, go figure :D) ... plus SSRI medications appear to be more helpful.

Here are some links to web articles about SAD, with a brief mention given to summer symptoms in each. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s230.htm

http://www.brown.edu/Administration/George_Street_Journal/v22/v22n9/SAD.html

http://www.outsidein.co.uk/index.htm ... Outside-In is an excellent information site for SAD and other "bodyclock" related problems. I recommend it highly. Use their search engine to find info. on summer symptoms (there's not a lot, but the site is still well worth a visit)Doreen

DebDaCajun
Sun, Jul-01-01, 08:21
Thanks Doreen! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GatorGal93
Tue, Oct-01-02, 08:02
Doreen,

Do you think it is possible to be depressed by the weather year - round?

I live in Florida and I absolutely despise it. It is hot all year and although I am not lethargic, I seldom have much energy. I also find myself ecstatic when it is raining out. Almost like a sort of 'high.'

My doctor still keeps trying to prescribe depression medication for me, but I refuse since gaining 30 pounds on Prozac. Does he know something about me I do not? His drug of choice is Wellbutrin, but it is not covered by my insurance and it is approximately $200 a bottle.

Thank you for your help. Your responses are always highly respected by me.

Julie

quietone
Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:41
I have had both summer SAD as long as I can remember and winter SAD since my 20's, but here i will talk only of summer SAD. I have researched it until I am sick to death of it, but here goes. Hope this helps.

SSRI's do not usually help with summer SAD, welbutrin is the best thing for that if you want to take something. You are not lacking in serotonin because of light as in winter SAD.

Summer SAD usually brings on extreme irritability. Sleep disruptions. I get food sensitivities that can bring on diarrhea. This is along with the usual depressive symptoms. I actually started smoking during July one year when I was so ticked at my ex-boss. I was absolutely enraged over something trivial and somehow just knew smoking would make me feel better. And it did. But now I am hooked. (Smoking increases dopamine).

Well, I finally "beat it" this year. I stayed inside all summer. Yep, that is what I did. Took no medicine. Didn't even go out in the mornings because it was so hot this year. No matter what needed to get done, I stayed inside. When I mowed, I did it in the early morning on the weekends. This was really tough because I am an avid gardener. But I finally had a somewhat sane summer for the first time ever. Unlike winter SAD, and even though I believe that part of it is the light, I think a bigger part of it is the heat. I did not open my shades this year either. I bascially went from house to car to work and back again.

I always knew I "hated" summer, but just thought it was because I go sunburned so easily. Now I know why.

My husband talks endlessly about moving to the beach or a warmer climate...no way. Because even tho' I have both winter and summer SAD, the summer stuff is harder to contain and deal with.

I just read the other day that SAD affects children of alcholics more often than any other. I already knew it was hereditary. Both my daughters already have it.

Hope this info helps somewhat.