PDA

View Full Version : [SB] Cool Whip and Whipped Cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Denise1963
Mon, Oct-21-02, 11:58
At the store last night, I checked out the cool whip and whipped cream. The label showed no grams of sugar, but the ingredients show Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. That looks like sugar to me! Why doesn't the label show the grams of sugar?

I realize this is not legal, but does anyone have a recipe to make sugar free cool whip?

krazzybird
Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:26
Hi Denise -

I don't know about Corn Syrup not being a sugar... must be so little they can legally say it has none. I try to avoid all items that have corn syrup or high fructose in them.

Someone once told me that if an item has less than 1g of sugar or carbs that the government does not make them list it on the label.... not sure if that's true or not, but would make some sense.

For whipped cream, I use the heavy whipping cream and when it is almost all "fluffed" up I add spenda - comes out so good!

Just a thought! :)

Denise1963
Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:44
Thanks for your input Leah. This may sound stupid, but how do you fluff up heavy whipping cream? With an electric mixer?

I used to make a frozen yogurt pie with Cool Whip and I wish I could find a substitute as I really don't want to eat Corn Syrup... :(

krazzybird
Mon, Oct-21-02, 12:58
Denise -

Sorry, I should have mentioned how to whip it... opps!

I usually make a small amount at a time (this way I don't devour the whole thing at one sitting...lol).

Pour the Heavy Whipping cream (found in the dairy isle) into a bowl and use a hand mixer and beat it until it starts looking like whip cream. When it starts to look like whip cream add a little splenda (less aftertaste than nutrasweet and better for you). I add a the splenda gradually, you can always make it sweeter - hard to undo it once it is too sweet. Then mix it up a little more and that's it... easy huh? (Be careful not to mix it too much, will get very stiff and "buttery")

Hope this works out for you! (I am sure there are other recipes and ways of making this if you go to the kitchen forum.)

Good Luck! :)

Denise1963
Mon, Oct-21-02, 13:29
That's a great idea! Thanks for your help and teaching me some cooking skills. I need all the help I can get... :)

krazzybird
Mon, Oct-21-02, 13:39
You're welcome.... this way of cooking is new to me too! Hope it turns out ok... I did find the second time I made it, it came out better - so maybe it will take some practice.

Good luck - hope you enjoy it. :D

molly1844
Mon, Oct-21-02, 14:37
Here is a recipe that I "stole" from my cyber buddy Carol ( :wave: Hi Carol).

1/2 cup skim evaporated milk
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 tbs.. water
1/4 cup instant dry milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 pkg. Sweet 'N Low {or Splenda}

Combine dry milk & evaporated milk in a saucepan. Simmer until well mixed. Mix together gelatin & water until gelatin is softened.

Add to milk mixture & simmer until gelatin is dissolved. Refrigerate until mixture begins to thicken.

Beat with mixer until thick & creamy. Will keep in refrigerator for several days.

Personally I don't use Cool Whip as I can't seem to find anything on the ingredient list that I recognize as real food. :) I try to stay away from processed foods if I can.

I use real whipped cream. Leah's directions are fab! I add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the cream along with the Splenda. Gives it a richer taste.

If I am using it to top Pumpkin Pie I add a pinch of cinnamon to the cream.

You can also add a bit of dry cocoa powder (Droste is my fav) and make Chocolate Whipped Cream.

molly :)

Denise1963
Mon, Oct-21-02, 15:19
Great recipe. I will take all the help I can get! I feel better already knowing that I won't have to do without my frozen yogurt pies during the holidays! Thanks for all the neat ideas too! :)

krazzybird
Mon, Oct-21-02, 16:08
Molly -

Love the idea for chocolate whip cream and the pumpkin pie topping! With the holidays right around the corner, I am sure I will be using both those recipes - thanks so much!! :)

sallyPL
Mon, Oct-28-02, 02:03
Hi Molly and others,
Excuse my ignorance - it is many years since cream was on my shopping list - it still doesn't feel quite right I must say!
What is "heavy cream" - I think things are different in Australia. Our whipping cream is 35% fat and it whips just fine. Is this not OK? What % fat is your heavy cream - is it what I would call double cream.
I am about to make some of your muffins Molly - again it feels wicked to eat such things!
I guess you haven't lost 100 pounds (CONGRATULATIONS) by eating too much cream or muffins?? Will you share your regular meal plans with us please :sunny:
Today is day 8 for me and I seem to have lost 4 pounds. I have read every book and am basically doing Sugar Busters because Atkins is too hard and SB seems manageable for me. I think I am a big fan of shakes - are you? What do you find is the quickest and best filler. I seem to get pretty hungry. Many thanks. Sally

missgina
Tue, Nov-05-02, 15:11
Hello Denise,

Can you share your frozen yogurt pie recipe? It sounds great. I'm looking for yummy snacks to have around the house.

Thanks,
missgina.

Denise1963
Tue, Nov-05-02, 16:18
Here is the recipe, well what comes to mind. I don't have a formal recipe for it. This is NOT SB legal and I have not made a SB legal pie yet, so I can't help with the substitutions. Sorry!

Buy (3) large graham cracker pie crusts, 2 Large Cool Whip bowls, 4-6 strawberry SF yogurt cups, 1 large bag of frozen whole California strawberries. Cut up

In large bowl: Mix 1 1/2 bowls of cool whip with all the yogurt and add the slices of strawberries. Pour into pie crusts. Use left over cool whip as a topping and place 3 whole large strawberries on top for looks. Cover with plastic lid and place in freezer till needed. No baking, no fuss. Bring it to a party frozen and let it sit out for about 2-3 hours defrosting in room temperature. IF you have any leftovers, you can put it in the fridge. It will only last about 2-3 days at most in the refrigerator. On the 2nd day in the Fridge, you will notice that the juices from the strawberries go into the graham cracker pie crust and it's soft. It's VERY yummy even for people who don't like yogurt as you can't even taste it. It's always a big hit at any party you go to! Hope this helps you out.

Denise

missgina
Tue, Nov-05-02, 16:28
Denise,

Thank you very much!

missgina.

Denise1963
Tue, Nov-05-02, 16:58
You are very welcome. Anytime!! :wave:

molly1844
Tue, Nov-05-02, 18:00
Make a crust of Almond Flour, Splenda & Melted butter.

Use Real Whipped Cream instead of the Cool Whip.
mmmmmmm.... would be very rich. YUM!

molly :)

Denise1963
Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:15
Thanks for helping us make this legal... :)

Can you give specifics on the amounts of the ingredients for (1)pie crust?

Also, are you talking about whipped cream that squirts out of the can? or the whipping cream in the carton that looks like milk?

Thanks,

Denise

Denise1963
Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:20
Molly, do you have a pecan pie recipe?