PDA

View Full Version : Hello, wow this is a big place!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nikkic
Sat, Oct-19-02, 20:11
I've been lurking around here for about a week and decided to join in, you all look so good.

When I first started, I was doing Sommersizing, but that didn't work as fast as I wanted so I switched to Atkins. Or sort of Atkins with some Sommersizing areas. I don't count carbs, but I do follow Atkins list of suggested foods for induction. I do use Atkins shakes and some of his bars occasionally. I've been losing weight pretty well and as long as it continues, I don't see any reason to do anything differently. Of course, if I stall for any length of time, I start to count carbs and mix things up a bit. I exercise for 30 min. a day and I take a lot of vitamins and supplements.

I've really changed a lot of things in my life and I feel a lot better. I'm looking forward to posting here. Nikki

mischa
Sat, Oct-19-02, 20:18
Hi Nikkic and welcome :)

I just found this place myself and find it great support. Congratulations on 20 lbs lost so far

Mischa

Karen
Sat, Oct-19-02, 20:47
Hello, wow this is a big place!

It is, isn't it nikkic!

Take some time to point and click all over the place. The Forum is filled with goodies in all the nooks and crannies.

Karen

LowCarb4Me
Sat, Oct-19-02, 20:52
Hi!

This is a BIG place - I totally agree. Still finding my way around as well.

Congratulations on the 20 pound loss!! That is wonderful.

:)

From another Iowan --- :wave:

Nancy

nikkic
Sun, Oct-20-02, 14:36
Thanks for the hello's. I'm afraid I blew it at lunch today. We ate at Taco John's and I had a super burrito with potato ole's. It's the first time I've had potatoes in months and they weren't even mashed. I'd gone for over 7 hours without eating, because we were out and it was the only place that wasn't completely packed. Even so, I had to hurry and I just couldn't figure out what to get that was ok, so I went the complete opposite way. Want to kick myself in the behind now. I feel all bloated and icky.
I just can't believe it, yesterday I would have never thought I'd cheat like that. Well, guess I got to get back on track, just like falling off a horse. Got to get back in the saddle right away.
Hey LowCarbMe, I haven't seen too many Iowans anywhere on other low carb boards. Glad to see there is someone else. It's hard when you live in the middle of the corn state and you are a sweet corn lover. I managed to resist eating it all summer and it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.
Guess I'll go roam around the site, nice to meet you all and hope to talk to you again. Nikki

LowCarb4Me
Sun, Oct-20-02, 17:08
Hey Nikki-

So you made a bad choice for one meal -- do better the next meal. Get all those icky carbs out of your system. Don't let it ruin your day or your week. Get right back to it.

Sounds like you know where things went wrong -- mabye you can have a plan of attack so you won't get caught like that again.

I almost always have a slim jim or some nuts in my bag for emergencies. Never know when you will be somewhere with limited or no low carb options.

Better luck next time. Hope the rest of your day was great.

Nancy

nikkic
Sun, Oct-20-02, 18:45
Thanks Nancy,
We went to Prairie Meadows today and I planned on eating in the Clubhouse, but it was packed and we didn't want to wait. So we went down the street to the truck stop, Grandma's Kitchen I think it is. I know I can get low carb food there if I choose right. Well, there was a big wait there too. So that's how we ended up at Taco Johns. I wish I'd just waited and went home, it's only 45 min. away and I could have waited.
Tonight we had steaks, mushrooms sauted in butter and salads with a variety of veggies, feta cheese and homemade french dressing. It was so much better. DH even commented that he loves my dressing and it's much better than anything from a bottle.
What kind of slim jims do you eat? I really try to stay away from sugar, but I see a lot of people eat slim jims, so there must be minimal amounts in them.
Nikki

LowCarb4Me
Sun, Oct-20-02, 20:51
Originally posted by nikkic
What kind of slim jims do you eat? I really try to stay away from sugar, but I see a lot of people eat slim jims, so there must be minimal amounts in them.
Nikki

Sounds like a great steak dinner! We had steak, too, so I can't be too jealous (my favorite meal!)

I get slim jims at Target. Can't think of the brand name other than SlimJims. Comes in a red short pringle-can like container with some dorky wrestler looking guy on the front. They are $3.99 at our Target. I don't have a can right now or I would tell you the count info. They are not my favorite snack -- I think they are a little greasy -- but they will do in a pinch.

Congratulations on keeping the rest of your day on track. : )

Nancy