PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kansas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lisa Lynn
Thu, Oct-17-02, 10:19
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have been on Atkins for 2 weeks as of yesterday. I have only lost 3.5 lbs :confused: But I am determined to keep going.
I quit smoking July 14 of this year. It was hard to give up a 20 year addiction. I was over weight when I quit and gained 12lbs afterward. I really think I can do this though and am so glad to find that there are other people besides me going through the same emotions.
Lisa

RCFletcher
Thu, Oct-17-02, 12:44
Hi Lisa!

:wave:WELCOME :wave:

Don't be too dissapointed at the 'only 3.5lbs'. Have a look at a couple of packets of butter - it's lot of fat. Giving up smoking has probably slowed down your metabolism a little so this will not help. You could try drinking green tea or taking green tea extract...It will speed your metabolism up a little and has many other beneficial effects too.

Like you, I lose very slowly. I've been following this way of eating for about 15 months so far and have lost 44 lbs. That's much less than a lb a week but what the heck - I'm a lot slimmer now!

You'll find all the help and support you need on this board.

Good luck from Belarus,

Robert

Lisa Lynn
Thu, Oct-17-02, 15:24
Thanks Robert for the encouraging words and the advice. I have never tried green tea or extract - I don't know why - but I will give it a shot. Yesterday I decided to add CoQ10 to my supplements. Also my energy level is coming up so I am going to make a effort to get my exercise in.
Lisa

suze_c
Thu, Oct-17-02, 21:36
hi there... I am from Kansas... out in the middle of nowhere or so it seems... altho I know there are worse spots here too :lol: I am in the western half... which part are you?

wflow68
Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:08
I have been on atkins faithfully for 4 days... drinking a full GALLON of water a day.. and the scale hasnt budged... and I have had a killer headache.. I TOTALLY FEEL LIKE GIVING UP>>> but I wont .. because of this forum I have learned it gets worse before it gets better. I would rather stay the same weight than gain any... (of course I would rather LOSE!!) but for right now I will hang in there.. :-) good luck to you.. :-)
Wendy

suze_c
Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:21
Hi Wendy~ Hope your scale starts budging in the right direction~! A suggestion~ take your measurements and go by that as an indicator and see what happens... sometimes it takes awhile for the scale to show up for some ppl. I am on induction 4 weeks now, guess I don't mind my food choices eh? :lol: Actually eating this way is a lot healthier than what I was eating before, and I can tell the benefits in many areas~ I don't know if you are following induction, I see sugar free jello on your old journal entry...I don;t know how you are eating now, and IMO, I think you should try sticking to induction as Atkins suggests, and only eating the foods allowed,it is that way for a reason... but that is a suggestion only based on your journal which ya haven't wrote in for some time~ Try posting some of your menus in it, and some of us on here can look at what you are eating and perhaps offer some suggestions. Also.... the headaches will go away~ I had headaches from hell for awhile, and gastric disturbances of all sorts... I hope things have gotten better for you~ I know personally that divorce/ separation is never easy~ Anyhow~ know that "we" are here for support and just ask away~ :)

csj
Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:44
Hey Lisa Lynn! I'm from south central Kansas. Kind of hard to give up carbs in the Wheat State, isn't it? Our house is surrounded by wheat fields and grain elevators are the only landmarks on the horizon. I just keep quiet about my eating habits and watch for "eat beef" bumper stickers. Don't get discouraged. This really works if you stay at it.

Good luck.

Lisa Lynn
Fri, Oct-18-02, 09:22
Hey, thanks for the post. I know what you mean about giving up the carbs in the wheat state. We farm and I live in the middle of corn & wheat! We live in western Kansas and grow our own beef so I do have yummy cuts to chose from.
Keep up the good work & good luck!
Lisa

suze_c
Fri, Oct-18-02, 09:53
Well, I am in the Hays vicinity~ don't know how close that is to you~ Yeah, isn't it ironic? Kansas is the "wheat capitol", and on LC'ing, by-products of that wheat are no-no's :lol: I know I am feeling so much better without all the carbage... I started 4 wks. ago exactly, and don't regret it~ one of the smartest ways of eating I have done for a long time! :) I don't live on a farm now, but I did for almost half of my life... but the town I live in, is not "that" big, where it bothers me too bad~ I do miss living in the country though, there is just something about it~

Lisa Lynn
Fri, Oct-18-02, 10:10
Hi Suze c,
I guessed you were from the Hays area. I saw on your bio that you were working on a PHD. Way to Go!!! I graduated from FHSU in 88. I'd love to go back but I too am a full time mom and run the farm (family business) with my husband. I actually checked at the college this summer about going into Speech Path but it would take me yearrrssss :( and I can't make that kind of committment with my children still at home. I would have driven everyday :thdown: and it just looked impossible. But I too feel so much better on Atkins. Before I could hardly handle a diet because I was so darn hungry all the time and now I have to remind myself to eat. But beware - yesterday my calories were down - I was just in a hurry all day and didn't eat right- and my protein was way up from eating chicken all day and very few carbs and this morning my keto stick did not turn pink! It showed no reaction at all. I have learned my lesson - you have to it to make it work.
Also - no more heartburn! And I have carpel tunnel in my left hand and it does not seem to be bothering me. :) I have no explanation for it.
Good Luck and thanks for the post!
Lisa