PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kathandall
Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:39
Hi All,

I justed started this new way of eating with my husband. We shall see how it goes. He has done this before (although he has chronic kidney stones and his doctor is advising him this might not be a good idea, it is the only successful way he has ever lost weight and kept it off) and I have never been very successful at giving up sugar ( in my coffee) so I have no idea how well I will do on this.

I have been married for 19 years and have four children ages 10,14,17,18.

Just here to glean whatever I can from you all on this subject, especially cooking ideas and tips.
Could you please tell me the one thing that you found most helpful in going low carb

Thanks

lkonzelman
Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:54
Hi and welcome -

For me the most helpful thing on the diet is that I can eat whenever i'm hungry.

That is the biggest problem I always had.... I felt like I had a tapeworm. And now (granted sometimes I wish I could have a few of my old favorites) I can eat till i'm content and never feel bloated or guilty.

Good luck to you and DH!

alto
Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:59
Welcome, Kathandall!

The most helpful thing for me was finding "Meals That Work" -- a list of melas that I knew I'd like. I spent a few evenings going through low carb cookbooks and writing down page numbers of interesting recipes. It broadened my view of what low carb eating could be, and it gave me a list of meals so it was easy to plan.

One word about the kidney stone fear -- water! water! water! Atkins says 8 glasses a day AT LEAST. Some people say add another glass for every 25 pounds a person needs to lose.

You also might want to take a peek at Karen's collection of links in the Newbies Questions forums. It's like a table of contents for a great, unwritten Low Carb Book.

Good luck! Be sure to check in and let us know how you're doing.