PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] started the zone today!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nawchem
Wed, Oct-16-02, 23:30
I have tried to do Atkins induction over and over ( and lose a few pounds everytime), but end up quitting because of the tremendous water loss, huge thirst (drinking 4L or more a day) and heart palpitations, I guess from the electrolyte imbalance irritating a minor heart problem.

My dr. suggested the zone diet and all the symptoms immediately disappeared and I feel fantastic. But is eating 100carbs a day lowcarb? It is described as putting your body on a fat burning pathway, can that be true while eating so many carbs?

Also, now my evil sugar cravings are back, how do you all deal with that?

I'm so looking forward to going to the gym and seeing if the extra carbs are going to make my workout a little more energetic.

pegm
Thu, Oct-17-02, 11:57
Nawchem,

Please keep posting how you are doing. I have been thinking about switching to the Zone also. I don't know for certain, but I think that 100 carbs would be considered low by nutritionists (didn't they just set a minimum daily amount -- I think it was about 150 grams or so -- maybe someone else knows the exact amount). I know what you mean about adding carbs and getting a better workout -- today I had a hard time at the gym because I'm eating less than 20 carbs right now. Please keep us posted about your progress!

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-17-02, 12:22
Originally posted by nawchem
But is eating 100carbs a day lowcarb?
Well, to me, yes it is. 100g of carbs may seem like a huge amount after Induction levels, however, compared to the levels that the general populace is eating it's still considered quite low. Plans like PPLP and Schwarzbein would have you eating carbs comperable to your 100gs.

It is described as putting your body on a fat burning pathway, can that be true while eating so many carbs? I believe this works because of calorie reduction. 100g of carbs is 400 calories, on a 40/30/30 plan that would be roughly 1200 calories.

Also, now my evil sugar cravings are back, how do you all deal with that? What types of carbs are you eating? I have found that slow burning, complex carbs that are also low G.I. do not cause this reaction for me. Sweet potatoes, steel cut irish oats, apples, cottage cheese (lower fat CC is higher carb), and brown rice all fall into this category.

HTH
Nat

pegm
Thu, Oct-17-02, 17:36
Nat,

You are so lucky to be able to eat some carbs without the cravings. I have a very difficult time if I even eat any of those things -- even berries cause me problems. If it tastes the slightest bit sweet or starchy, I find myself fighting cravings.

ZoneCoach
Fri, Oct-25-02, 13:35
It has been a little over a week for you. How are you doing with the Zone?

I would be happy to try and help you with any of your questions. I am a successful Zoner and certified by Dr. Sears.

My dr. suggested the zone diet and all the symptoms immediately disappeared and I feel fantastic. But is eating 100carbs a day lowcarb? It is described as putting your body on a fat burning pathway, can that be true while eating so many carbs?

The Zone is about hormonal control with adequate amounts of Protein, carbs and fat.

Are you trying to stick with 75% favorable carbs ~ those that are low glycemic? Your cravings should have been reduced or eliminated. Some women do experience cravings during their cycles. That can be kept at bay by adding a carb block to your meals.

I'm so looking forward to going to the gym and seeing if the extra carbs are going to make my workout a little more energetic.
How has that been working for you?

ZoneCoach
Fri, Oct-25-02, 13:54
[.

Are you trying to stick with 75% favorable carbs ~ those that are low glycemic? Your cravings should have been reduced or eliminated. Some women do experience cravings during their cycles. That can be kept at bay by adding a carb block to your meals.

Sorry, I meant to say adding a FAT block (or two) to each of your meals.

nawchem
Fri, Oct-25-02, 15:31
Hi ZoneCoach!
I'm so glad you're here. I've had a lot of resistance within myself about changing from atkins, which is the only way I have ever lost weight but I'm finally mentally there. At first it seemed impossible to find foods that would add up to 100 carbs, so my dr. said I could lower it a little. I think just suddenly eating so many more carbs kind of 'set' my bodyoff (or my mind) for a few days because the cravings have gone now that I'm eating mostly veges for carbs. Last week I went back and forth atkins one day, binging the next and gained 5 pounds.

Now my problem is the fat. I'm used to having all the fat I want, yesterday 60% fat, I ended up with 2242calories. I'm a little lost on the fat part. I'm doing 75g carbs and 84g protein.
I just bought a week in the zone, to get myself used to appropriate meals.

Do you think its ok to not use the blocks, I use fitday to calculate nutritional values so I just count grams.

Is it okay to use nonstick sprays /lower fat salad dressing to get my calories/fat lower?

I haven't worked out yet, I planned that I would need time for my body to adjust, but I actually don't think I've felt better. The extra carbs kind of energized me.

How long have you been zoning, and what do you find difficult, and what is most rewarding?

thanks !
Nancy

pegm
Fri, Oct-25-02, 16:12
ZoneCoach,

So glad you've joined!!! I have not started Zone yet, but I am giving it very serious consideration. I probably will start, but not sure when yet.

You might know the answer to some questions I have. Is the Zone good for doing weights? I have been doing Atkins, and I went back to 20 grams of carbs for a few days after eating the wrong foods for a few days on a business trip, and I needed to get back on track. I am finding that weights are very difficult on that level of carbs.

Is Zone enough protein for building muscle? I am trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, as it is my understanding that muscle helps with weight loss. Any other advice, tips, or advantages for the Zone?

Natrushka
Fri, Oct-25-02, 17:09
Originally posted by ZoneCoach
Sorry, I meant to say adding a FAT block (or two) to each of your meals.

ZC there is a http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/edit.gif button on the bottom right corner of every post. You can go back and edit one of your own posts within 48 hours of the initial posting.

Nat

ZoneCoach
Fri, Oct-25-02, 22:46
Any transition can be hard. I used to be a die hard Weight Watcher (but never reached my goal). Still I continued to believe in the program in spite of the fact that the weight kept creeping up and my energy levels kept going down.

At first it seemed impossible to find foods that would add up to 100 carbs, so my dr. said I could lower it a little.

When first beginning the Zone, Dr. Sears does not recommended reducing carbs.

I think just suddenly eating so many more carbs kind of 'set' my bodyoff (or my mind) for a few days because the cravings have gone now that I'm eating mostly veges for carbs. Last week I went back and forth atkins one day, binging the next and gained 5 pounds.

As you have experienced, going back and forth does not work in your favor. It is almost impossible to get adequate amounts of carbs from favorable vegs. alone. What fruits do you like? Steel cut oatmeal is also a great way to get carbs, along with black beans, lentils, etc.

Now my problem is the fat. I'm used to having all the fat I want, yesterday 60% fat,
60% is a but much! :o TOO much fat will be stored as fat. We've all learned fat is not our enemy. True. However, there are different types of fat: Saturated (bad), polyunsaturated (better) and monounsaturated (best). Try to get most of your fat from mono and poly sources.

I ended up with 2242calories. I'm a little lost on the fat part. I'm doing 75g carbs and 84g protein.
How did you arrive at those numbers? The minimum amounts for women are: 77g protein, 99g carb, 33g fat

I just bought a week in the zone, to get myself used to appropriate meals.
That is a great place to start. There are a few printing errors. I will try to find those for you. The block method is not discussed in that book, however, eventually, it is easier to understand and calculate blocks.
1 block is: 7g protein, 9 g carb, 3g fat, so a "typical" meal for a woman would be 3 blocks or 21g P, 27g C, 9g F

Do you think its ok to not use the blocks, I use fitday to calculate nutritional values so I just count grams.
I am not familiar with that program. If you're comfortable with it, continue to use it.

Is it okay to use nonstick sprays /lower fat salad dressing to get my calories/fat lower?
Try to stop thinking about calories all together (I know, it's hard). Sprays are fine. Dressings are fine, but you should count the carbs.

I haven't worked out yet, I planned that I would need time for my body to adjust, but I actually don't think I've felt better. The extra carbs kind of energized me.

How long have you been zoning, and what do you find difficult, and what is most rewarding?
I have Zoned for a little over a year. I made A LOT of mistakes in the beginning, but I still lost weight and never felt better. I no longer get frequent headaches and have much more energy.

If you can be faithful for two weeks following A Week in the Zone, you will never want to go back to anything else. It can take that long for your system to become accustomed to this new way of eating, plus it "clears your head" which makes learning more about it so much easier.

Two weeks! Hang in there!

thanks !

You're Welcome

ZoneCoach
Fri, Oct-25-02, 23:02
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pegm
ZoneCoach,

So glad you've joined!!! I have not started Zone yet, but I am giving it very serious consideration. I probably will start, but not sure when yet.

What's holding you back?

You might know the answer to some questions I have. Is the Zone good for doing weights?

Absolutely! I lift 3-4 days/week

I have been doing Atkins, and I went back to 20 grams of carbs for a few days after eating the wrong foods for a few days on a business trip, and I needed to get back on track. I am finding that weights are very difficult on that level of carbs.

Your body and brain need carbs to function. Many body builders will follow a modified Atkins / Zone diet to get cut, but that is only for 6-8 weeks before a show.
Is Zone enough protein for building muscle? I am trying to lose body fat and gain muscle, as it is my understanding that muscle helps with weight loss. Any other advice, tips, or advantages for the Zone?

Contrary to popular belief, you can lose BF and gain lean muscle at the same time and theZone is a perfect way to do it! You're correct, muscle helps with weight loss. Muscle is burns calories 24/7 - fat does nothing but sit there! So the more muscle you have, the more you burn!

ZoneCoach
Fri, Oct-25-02, 23:07
Originally posted by Natrushka
ZC there is a http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/edit.gif button on the bottom right corner of every post. You can go back and edit one of your own posts within 48 hours of the initial posting.

Nat

Nat,

I tried that, but received this message: The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 10 minutes after you have posted.

Bear with me while I learn all of the nuances of the site :o)

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-26-02, 13:09
Originally posted by ZoneCoach
I tried that, but received this message: The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 10 minutes after you have posted.
Bear with me while I learn all of the nuances of the site :o)

The limit must have been changed, ZC. Not a proble, though :)

Nat