PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Tribulation

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tanyab
Wed, Oct-16-02, 21:18
:confused:
I need some quick help here!

My doctor wants to put me on medication because after controlling my diet for 3 months my cholesterol is still not where she wants it to be. Since she was not specific, I chose to go on Atkins diet keeping my carbs under 20 per day for the first 2 months and then relaxing more towards maintenance for the last month before having my blood work redrawn.

In April 2000, I reached my all time highest weight of 153. I tried Weight Watchers without success then went on QWL (Quick Weight Loss) a high protein, low fat and reduced carb diet. At the same time I started having my cholesterol checked at a walk in testing center. I did not get serious about dieting again until July 2002 when I had blood work drawn and started on Atkins.

Can you make any recommendations that will substantially bring down my LDL numbers while raising my HDL numbers?

Below are my stats and a little history.
Female non smoker (quit 10/1998)
46 yrs, 5'4", 136 lbs.
Dte 6/97 4/00 5/00 6/00 7/02 10/02
Weight 125 153 146 139 138 137
Trigs - 99 70 61 64 66
Total - 217 228 244 289 267
HDL - 61 58 56 86 72
LDL - 136 156 176 190 182
Chol/HDL - 3.6 3.9 4.4 3.4 3.7

I have to have my blood work redrawn in 3 months and am looking to convince my doctor that I can control my cholesterol through diet.

Thanks,
Tanyab

TeriDoodle
Thu, Oct-17-02, 05:26
May I recommend that you visit our Cholesterol/Heart Disease sub-forum and peruse the threads there? Click here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=&forumid=48&pagenumber=1&daysprune=365) for a shortcut. Since I don't have the condition myself, I haven't thoroughly researched it....so that's why I point you there.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you the very best of luck in getting those numbers down!

Tanyab
Thu, Oct-17-02, 05:59
Thanks Teri-
I'll check it out.

Zuleikaa
Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:51
I also suggest you join the cholesterol forum. In addition are you taking essential oils and supplements? These help strengthen the body, lower cholesterol totals and increase good cholesterol.

I will bring this up though you are probably not doing it. Any margerine (even soft ones) or solid shortening contain hydrogenated oils and raise cholesterol. Do not use them!

Sheldon
Fri, Oct-18-02, 14:24
Tanyab--

Before you do anything, read Uffe Ravnskov's The Cholesterol Myths (http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm).

It's an eye-opener.

Sheldon

Lisa N
Fri, Oct-18-02, 15:12
Tanya...

To be honest, I woldn't necessarily say you have a problem right now. Your Triglycerides are very low (a GOOD thing) and your HDL is well over 60 (also a very good thing). HDL over 60 is very protective against heart disease. Total cholesterol is not a very good predictor of heart disease, especially in women; you have to look at the individual numbers. Yes, your LDL could come down a bit but you can probably accomplish that with eating good fats (butter and olive oil), combined with one or two natural supplements. Have a read through the links the others provided and remember, too, that your doctor can only suggest; they cannot force you to take medication against your wishes. Granted, they may not like it when you say no, but it's your choice.

Oldsalty
Sat, Oct-19-02, 06:08
There is plenty of reading in support of the issue raised in this article that the cholesterol level in women is not an indicator for cardiovascular disease.

Here is a quote from an article by Sally Faldon and Mary G Enig Phd.
Men who have cholesterol levels over 350 mg/dl are at slightly greater risk for heart disease. For women, there is no greater risk for heart disease, even at levels as high as 1000 mg/dl. In fact, mortality is higher for women with low cholesterol than for women with high cholesterol .
The full article is here. http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/hd.html