PDA

View Full Version : Effexor XR

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bayre
Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:13
Has anyone had any experience with LC and Effexor XR? I am currently on 150 mg and I am wondering if there will be any unique effects.

Barbiedoll
Sat, Oct-26-02, 23:04
Hello I take Effexor as well I take 37.5 daily in the morning with my low cab breakfast. If anything it helps my binges that I used to have. I switched from Paxil toEffexor and love it. I have been taking it a year. No effects. I hope this helps you out Good Luck!

http://://lilsprout85.tripod.com/LittleHouse/witch.gif

DDMariana
Tue, Nov-05-02, 12:13
Hi...

I also take E-XR, 225 mg. every day, and I had a great concern over trying to lose weight at the same time. I believe there is a bit of truth to the warning that antidepressants can make it difficult to lose weight, but only for SOME people, and only for those who BELIEVE it will!

I used it as an excuse for the longest time, but actually all it does is correct my chemistry to a normal level, and I take it from there. I've had no problems with this med...it's a highly regarded one with very little problems. And LC'ing is a great compliment to it...with the glucose control, insulin stabilization, etc. Also Effexor is somewhat of a metaboletic (sp?) and is in the lowest category for weight-gain side effects.

:wave:

gwenswp
Tue, Nov-26-02, 05:39
I'm on Effexor as well and my dosage was increased a month ago to 150mg/day. The only side effects I faced was with my sleeping patterns. For the first 2 weeks it took me forever to fall asleep and then I'd be awake 4 hours later. Thankfully that passed and I am sleeping on a regular schedule again.
I believe any side effects will be within the first week or so and if you can get past that you will be just fine :)

Boom
Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:52
Ive been on effexor for a year, 150 mg/day and I have found it to suppress my appetite a great deal. I am one of those who has a great weight loss quickly just from being on effexor. I have not found it to be any kind of interruption to weight loss while lc'ing.

windymoon2
Sat, Jun-21-03, 08:53
Just please be careful if you ever stop the drug and taper off. Never just stop it.

thininBC
Sat, Jun-21-03, 10:00
I agree. Never, ever stop an anti-depressant cold turkey. In conjunction withyour physican, develop a clear plan that will allow you to wean off the drug with minimal risk.

ohmissy
Sun, Jun-22-03, 17:49
I've been on Effexor for about a year - no weight gain due to it. I was on Paxil and did gain weight but I don't know if it was because of the drug or my eating too much.

And I agree about not stopping the Effexor - anyone who wants to get off of it must do it with a doctor's help. Drugs like Paxil and Effexor are great but can be dangerous if suddenly stopped.

When I was changed from Paxil to Effexor, the doctor had me taper off the Paxil and add Effexor... slowly until I was off of the Paxil totally. Even doing it like this, I wanted to die. I felt crazy for the first time ever. I would never have killed myself but I did ask God to take me. I was so off-balance, it was terrible.

I talked to my doc about it and was told these kind of drugs have a boomerang effect if suddenly stopped - not only do you feel like crap, you can actually become much worse than you were before beginning the drug.

mingo
Fri, Jun-27-03, 15:45
well done to those who got off paxil (seroxat in uk) :D its bad. Have you seen the amout of people who have signed a petion agasint glaxo over this drug

I have found no problems with Effexor am on 300mg a day. Just don't forget to take them

keely99
Sun, Jul-06-03, 17:09
Hi Everyone,
Guess I was one of those people who was blessed with gaining weight while taking effexor. I had so many side effects with Paxil and other anti-depressants, effexor was the only one that had ME in control for once. Like others I started off on 37.5 then upped, and upped until I was on 450mg sounds like alot, but I really needed it.
Yes, I also agree never ever take yourself off of this, consulting with a doctor and decrease on his advice.
I am now down taking only 150mg, over the hump you might say, and have been diagnosed with bi-polar. Emotions seem to still be in check.
I think Effexor is a miracle pill!!!
Thanks for listening

kristie111
Tue, Jul-08-03, 05:25
WOW..there are a lot of fellow antidepressant people in here. Don't feel so alone now..I guess it's 1 in 4 people on it..just surprised how many admit. I will be trying Efexor. I've been off all meds for 2 months except Xanax which is actually an anti anxiety drug. Prozac was just tooo much. An exercise program is so important. Does anyone feel tired after taking the antidepressant Efexor? Tell me how you feel after you take it. Prozac was a rush about 10 min. after taking it.

keely99
Wed, Jul-09-03, 08:39
Hi Kristie,
To be honest, I can't remember how I first felt on it. I know that after about 2 weeks, I was able to see things clearly and in control of my emotions....IE: not burst out in tears when arguing. Emotions were becoming more and more in check...and for once...I was in control!!!
I loved to rationalize, and no fear of saying what was on my mind...how can I say this politely; Able to shoot from the hip in my comments as my effexor increased.
I do remember unable to sleep for a bit, but that passed overtime.
It took almost a year of finally getting the Effexor adjusted to be diagnosed with bi polar. There is a history of mental illness in our family and deep down I knew I needed help, but to afraid to speak up and be labelled. Now I could care less WHO knows it, I no longer have to wear a mask for others, I can be myself. And I am discovering myself.
Good luck to you..keep up posted

kristie111
Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:24
Keely, wow, 1 full year of finding the dose..it's scary huh? But, bi-polar is becoming an alarmingly high rate in adults being diagnosed with it. I'm so happy for you. I'm ok now, I know though going back to school and into the legal field...I'll need something. I firmly believe it's the damn stress in our lives.

keely99
Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:05
Hi again Kristi

I beleive as well, more and more people are not coping with day to day events. Not our fault at all, it is a rush...rush...world out there with deadlines at home and at work. It is a competative world out there. High expectations and no time to relax...it has to come out some time and some how.
For me, I just started a crying jag for about 3 months before I hit the big 40. I am in the nursing profession or rather WAS, and had enough.
Then after stabilizing I had to take a look at myself and my ways, and give in to something I held inside for so long....the bi polar.
I fell threw the cracks of being diagnosed years ago, and refused to give in. With my mother I have seen first hand electric shock therapy and all kinds of cocktails given to her to remedy her ....abnormalty. I believe that is what they termed it back in the 60's.
We all need to take time for ourselves..it is so important, and if a pill helps...then we all win.
Good luck to you in school!!

kristie111
Thu, Jul-10-03, 09:15
Hey Keely..I agree..it's a tough world out there! Add to that the pressure of looking good!