PDA

View Full Version : help on schwarzbein program

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goleta
Sun, Oct-13-02, 12:45
I am new to the Schwarbein program and need guidance. I am a teacher, therefore I am up early and to school by 8:00 with no breaks until lunch at ll:00, then back to teaching until 3:30p.m. I hate breakfast. My usual thing is to eat a slimfast bar for breakfast. Can someone give me a few days of plan (not just breakfast) I can do with my schedule? I need quick, easy and on the run stuff. Thanks Goleta

alto
Mon, Oct-14-02, 11:40
Hi, goleta! Schwarzbein isn't very good for grab it and go :) You might check the Schwarzbein forum; there are some menu ideas there. And in her book, she has 28 days of menus. You might be able to adapt something.

Eggs are a staple, and eggs come hard-boiled, so that's the easiest thing. Boil up a dozen and grab 2 as you go out the door. With a bit of ham and an orange, that would make a Schwarzbein breakfast.

She's very much about whole foods, so I don't think she'd bless a protein bar :)

Lperez
Tue, Oct-15-02, 10:29
Hi, Goleta:

I work as a high school librarian, so I can sympathize with your schedule and how hectic things can get. Teaching is a profession in which you are never done with your work and there is always a great need for your attention. First, I decided that I really can't help anyone else unless I help myself first. By taking time to prepare proper meals, I will have more energy and be more alert when I am working. So, I have let a few things that are work-related be delayed a day or two longer. I delegate when I can. My exercise and meals are a much bigger priority than they used to be. As it turns out, things still get done at work.

I bring my lunch every day and often bring a half sandwich with meat and cheese and a big salad. I bring really portable, fast snacks such as a small piece of fruit, a piece of cheese, or some nuts.

Take the time to be kind to yourself after work. Prepare a nice, delicious meal, enjoy a good walk, or whatever else you like to do. Lesson plans need to be prepared and papers need to be graded, but if you make your needs a higher priority, your students will still receive a good education. Good luck.

Lisa P.

LocaJo
Tue, Oct-15-02, 14:12
but seems you could make some kind of granola/oatmeal cookie to eat on the way to work...in fact, if I were home I'd put a recipe that could be easily be LC-ed. I'll be back when I get home to do that.

Jo

LocaJo
Wed, Oct-16-02, 12:24
Originally posted by LocaJo
but seems you could make some kind of granola/oatmeal cookie to eat on the way to work...in fact, if I were home I'd put a recipe that could be easily be LC-ed. I'll be back when I get home to do that.

Jo

here's the recipe I was thinking of...

coconut wheat germ jumbos

3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c wheat germ (my substitution=1/4 c flax seeds, ground, and 1/2 c wheat bran)
1 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c unsweetened flaked dried coconut
1/4 c rolled oats
1/2 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar (my substitution=1/3 c honey)
1/2 c granulated sugar (substitute sweetener of choice to equal less than 1/2 c sweetness...6 packets sugar twin for instance...or use 1/2 c honey to substitute for all of sugars)
1 egg
1 t vanilla

Cream butter egg sweeteners and vanilla until fluffy.
Mix dry ingredients together, then add creamed ingredients and mix well. Use 1/4 c dough for each cookie. Place 6" apart on greased baking sheet as they spread to pretty good size cookies. Bake 17 minutes until golden brown and firm centers. Cool slightly t hen move to wire racks.

Yield 16 big cookies: Kcal 126 Fat 8g Carb 13g Fiber 2g protein 2g

Team it with a hard boiled egg or a good protein for breakfast and you got a meal!

goleta
Sat, Oct-19-02, 12:17
Thanks for the recipe!

JudyAH
Tue, Oct-22-02, 01:03
I hate to always be the bearer of reality, but that recipe has a lot of sugar in it, and almost no protein. I am not a teacher, but I have a hectic shedule and meals are often a problem if I am not prepared.

Once a week I cook a batch of Chicken legs and fix a bit of raw veges to be on hand for a balanced whatever. Cold chicken has saved me on more than one occasion. I buy the big package of raw carrots and use them as a balancer. Try cooking up a bunch of breakfast sausage and keep it ready. The meals may seem a little unorthadox, but they can get you through a tough day. Peanut butter and celery are a nice snack. Keep some almonds in your desk.

Breakfast is real important. It gets your engine started at the beginning of the day. Try prepping for the week all at once. You won't have to think about your schedule and this way of life will become second nature.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Good luck :wave:

marieze
Tue, Oct-22-02, 07:51
Hi Goleta!
By the way.....didn't I used to see you over on the Atkins Friends boards? If so, I too have switched to Schwarzbein. Food on the go is something we all need so here are a few things I have carried in my lunch bag or even my purse!

Deviled Eggs or a small container of egg salad
Snack bag of macademia nuts
1/2 banana with peanut butter
cheese and apple
sliced turkey with celery and cream cheese
small container of oatmeal butter and cream to nuke (prepared the night before)

Hope some of these help :daze:

lisaf
Wed, Oct-23-02, 08:31
And my favourite - flax meal...3 tbsp...add some very hot water (but NOT boiling - you'll destroy all those great Omega fatty acids)...add a bit of cream and some cinnamon and cloves...let sit and eat!

If you can handle dairy - full fat ricotta cheese and cottage cheese are good.

Also, check out the mock danish thread (low-carb kitchen)if you have time to microwave something in the morning - you can make this without the sweetener.

Other ideas - make a crustless quiche and grab a 1/4 on your way out in the morning - good way to get veggies, eggs and protein.

Lisa