PDA

View Full Version : LDL up, everything else good

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sheldon
Sat, Oct-12-02, 06:14
I just got back my first blood results since going low-carb in July.

Here's what they show:

Total cholesterol is 242; was 224-- UP
LDL is 163; was 157-- UP
HDL is 67.8; was 53.5-- UP
TGs are 55; were 67-- DOWN
Ratio of total to HDL is 3.6; was 4.2-- DOWN

I am convinced by Uffe Ravskov's book, The Cholesterol Myths, that cholesterol per se is nothing to worry about, but I am nonetheless curious why LDL would go up in the months that I have restricted carbs. The changes in HDL and TGs are what I expected. But why the rise in LDL?

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Sheldon

Sheldon
Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:35
After reading this (http://www.redflagsweekly.com/features/2002_oct31.html), I have even less reason to be concerned with those cholesterol numbers.

Sheldon

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:39
Sheldon, did you also happen to read this ?

Beta shift (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=472508&highlight=cholesterol+AND+beta#post472508)

Nat

Sheldon
Thu, Nov-07-02, 11:22
Natrushka--

Thank you. I've read the Eadeses interesting chapter on cholesterol in PPLP. It changed my whole outlook. There is much revisionist work being done now. I think Kendrick's article is devastating to the establishment. If LDL cannot corrupt arteries or, on its own, cause blockages, then cholesterol is a non-issue. We need to address, each of us, the causes of artery damage: most likely stress of all kinds, smoking, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, and overweight.

The upshot is eat low-carb, stay away from cigarettes, exercise moderately, and relax.

Sheldon