PDA

View Full Version : Scale Addiction - Raleigh

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Yank_in_NC
Fri, Oct-11-02, 07:20
HOW do you stay away from the scale? Everytime I walk past it I want to step on it. I did that the first week sometimes twice/day and just got discouraged. Every time I got on the darn thing I got a different reading (by one or two pounds). How often do all of you weigh yourself and how do you keep off it it!!!

Also, anyone live in the Raleigh, NC area?? :roll:

TeriDoodle
Fri, Oct-11-02, 11:31
There's nothing WRONG with stepping on the scale 3-4 times a day.... it's just that you have to accept the FACT that it's going to vary by 1-5 pounds in a day! So step on it all you like, just don't let it freak you out!

I generally weigh 2x a day.... my "official" weight is 1st thing in the morning, after I've been to the bathroom and shed all my clothes (clipped my fingernails, taken off my jewelry, spit in the sink, and brushed all the loose hairs off my head ;) ) Amusingly, I weigh at night so that I know what to expect the next morning...'cause it's usually 2# less.

After 7 months of LCing, I know that I'm not going to gain weight unless I go on some binge or something. I really don't HAVE to weigh that often, but I choose to. That being the case, I have to be willing to see periodic gains.

Hey, check out my weight loss chart (and others) in this thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62526) .... that'll make you feel better!

Yank_in_NC
Fri, Oct-11-02, 12:04
Teri:

Thanks for your post. That cracked me up! :sunny: I'll have to remember that next time I hop on the scale. I always forget to brush those darned loose hairs off my head and spit in the sink! That must be why my weight is fluctuating so much! hehehehe

Anyway, on a serious note, it makes sense what you said. I guess it just freaked me out so much because I was never used to ever getting on the scale. I hated the dreaded thing! Now I'm just so anxious to see results, I'm on it all the time. I did tell myself though that I only want to do it weekly (maybe bi-weekly) at most. I'll let you know how that approach works!

Thanks again. :wiggle:

Kim

RCFletcher
Sat, Oct-12-02, 11:40
Hi Kim,

I'm also a scale addict. When you start getting anxious because the battery in your scales has run out for the second time this month and it's Sunday and you can't find a shop which has the correct battery (as I've had) that's when you've got problems.

I think the scales give me valuable feedback on what my body is doing. The scales can be your friend. Don't feel bad about using them!

Greetings from Belarus,
Robert :wave:

asugar
Sat, Oct-12-02, 11:59
I'm also a scale addict and for me, it helps keep me honest. I weigh in at least twice a day. I have accepted the fact that my weight will fluctuate throughout the day and from day to day. With that thought in mind, there is little quite as thrilling as hopping on the scales at night and seeing the same number that I saw that morning. :D I have also noticed that when I am not doing what I'm supposed to be doing I tend avoid the scales like the plague.
asugar :wave:

Talon
Sat, Oct-12-02, 12:08
My husband has forbidden me to get on the scale more than once a week. :) I get too upset if I don't see pronto change. So now I get on the scale on Sunday mornings, before breakfast. For me, it really is best!

... recovering scale junkie

suze_c
Sat, Oct-12-02, 13:54
I am a former scale addict, getting on it all the time to see if it weighed differently than before.. and all it done was frustrate me! Finally my scale broke, and I didn't get another one to replace, and with the help of a wonderful hubby who didn't mind my body size, and thought I was sexy and sensual regardless of what I weighed... I started feeling more at ease with myself than before. This year for my birthday, I asked hubby to get me a digital scale so I could track my weight for the diet I was going on then, and everything was fine, until my grama was hurt in an accident at the nursing home where she lived, and consequently passed away as a result of the accident. I didn't deal with it well at all, and from the time she had her accident, until her passing,and even after it.... I went on an emotional overeating overload! Soon my scale would not even read my weight, as it did not read over 300#. I was weighed at a doctors early Sept., and got the weight of 315#, but I think that there was a time where I was even heavier than that because I was not fitting into all the clothes that I cold normally wear. All of that to say this: I don't go by my scale as much as I go by my measurements. I started Induction Sept. 20th, got on the scale Sept.27th,and it flashed a 301#, and I have not gone on it since! I also took my measurements on Sept. 20th, and as of this past week, had lost 25". Sometimes, not always, a person's measurements will go down even when the scale does not show it... so perhaps you can watch both? It is something that is up to each individual.