PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Meatballs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Parisfox
Wed, Oct-09-02, 21:20
Breakfast Meatballs (Parisfox)

2 lb. Roll Jimmy Dean Sausage (or any spicy breakfast sausage)
1 lb. Ground Beef
2 Tbsp. Minced Dehydrated Onion
½ tsp. Pepper
3 eggs
½ lb. Grated (or shredded) sharp cheddar cheese

Mix thoroughly by hand.
Roll into 1-1/2 inch balls or spoon onto cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 18-20 min.
Makes 50-60 balls depending on size.

Put individual servings in Ziploc sandwich bags, then put those in a large Ziploc Freezer bag and freeze. Heat in microwave.

Paris :D

nancy30
Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:42
:daze: Mmmmm these sound delicious.....can't wait to try them...Thanks so much for sharing!!

Tina-My
Wed, Oct-16-02, 14:50
What a great idea! Good grab and go snack. Thanks!

AlluraD
Thu, Nov-07-02, 11:17
Hi Paris~
These were sooooooooo good........made them this morning.
Usually I just pan fry the sausage and then drain it and add it to scrambled eggs, then throw cheese over it to melt..........this made it seem more like a meal...........filling and very good!! I'll make these a lot!! Thanks for sharing!!
Wishing you a great day~[FONT=courier new]

SthrnTami
Mon, Jan-13-03, 12:25
Just wanted to add my thanks for this recipe. I made up a large batch a couple of weeks ago, and frozen them away in bags of 5 each. It's so easy to grap a portion, pop them in the microwave, and eat on the go. I highly recommend this recipe!! The only challenge is keeping them away from the kids!

Tami

nicksmom
Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:48
This sounds like another new way to enjoy breakfast for newbies like me. I was wondering abt portion sizes. Thanks for posting 5!

Parisfox
Tue, Aug-16-05, 09:22
:wave: Bumping this up....It's a great one for schooldays. :agree:

Pugzilla
Tue, Aug-16-05, 09:36
This is not only a great breakfast on the go and snack idea, but would also be a great hors d'ouevre for parties, too! Great idea, thanks for bumping!

Parisfox
Tue, Aug-16-05, 10:08
Yes, they would be....just make them smaller and they'd be great. :yum:

nicksmom
Tue, Aug-16-05, 11:41
how many in a serving?

Parisfox
Tue, Aug-16-05, 13:11
That would definitely depend on the person's appetite/size, what else you were serving with them, etc. It's impossible to say.

The entire recipe equals:

Calories: 6467
Carbs: 21 g
Fat: 553 g
Protein: 295 g

But, remember....this makes 50 to 60 balls depending on size.

Lessara
Tue, Sep-13-05, 11:29
If you put all of it in a big ball, put it in a pan, slap it down, top with low carb tomato sauce, you get my meatloaf, I bake for about an hour :D

Parisfox
Tue, Sep-13-05, 12:20
Hmmmm.....good idea. That would make great slices for sandwiches too. With either low-carb bread, low-carb tortillas, or lettuce for wraps. :thup:

kelrivas
Tue, Sep-20-05, 13:33
I just made a batch, I substituted fresh Parmesan cheese for cheddar because that is what I had, and added toasted low carb pita bread made into crumbs to give it a little more body (added about 7 carbs to the whole thing). I then added some curry spice into the meat mixture and made a quick yogurt dip with curry and mint and onion, I wanted a middle eastern take on it…this is great…

I am going to make some into meatloaf as well and serve with mashed cauliflower.

YUM
Kellie

Parisfox
Fri, Sep-30-05, 13:39
Bump for the newbies...

erinleigh
Fri, Oct-07-05, 12:39
Has anyone tried it without the onion, I hate any kind of onions!

Parisfox
Fri, Oct-07-05, 13:41
I doubt it would hurt it to do it without onion. However, I think the onion gives it flavor, but then, I don't hate onions. :yum:

I suppose you could use a little garlic instead. Or just skip the onion if you don't like garlic either. When using the dehydrated minced onion, you really can't tell they are in there they are such small pieces. :agree:

misskolie1
Wed, Oct-12-05, 17:15
I don't like onions either, but I would just use onion powder for the taste. I can tolerate the taste of onion as apposed to biting into onion pieces.

Rubinesque
Mon, Nov-14-05, 09:44
What a great idea! Love this recipe. Would be great for game nights with different sauces and spices. "normal" eaters would never know the difference. Probably would make great hambugers on the grill, too. How about stirfried with veggies? Just make a big bag full and use for all kinds of recipes. How about on spiggeti squash with some "legal" tomato sauce.
Thanks
Rubinesque

SBMama37
Mon, Nov-14-05, 10:18
Thank you for the recipe. I will try these. Thanks so much.

SBMama37
Sat, Nov-19-05, 06:01
These are wonderful. Paris, I did change a couple things around though due to what I had on hand, and I believe they are lower in saturated fats. These are delicious!!!

I used 1# Jimmy Dean Sage sausage
1# Ground turkey (instead of beef)
1 Tbsp. powdered onion (instead of minced)
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
pepper

Baked in oven for 15 minutes and then turned each one over and baked another 15 minutes. This makes its own gravy!! Delicious. ( I pop about 4 in the microwave and top with 1/4 c. more cheese and nuke until hot) I like my cup of coffee with this!!

Parisfox
Sat, Nov-19-05, 11:33
SBMama....that sounds good too, especially for those who care about the saturated fat.

I like the fact that they are so handy to have in the freezer and can be reheated quickly in the micro for a snack when hungry between meals. 2 meatballs and a boiled egg are really good for that....4 balls and 2 boiled eggs make a good complete meal.

Good luck on your weight loss journey....and congratulations on your progress so far.

SBMama37
Sat, Nov-19-05, 11:45
Paris,
I want to thank you for the idea. Also posted my version of the recipe in my journal for later if I need it again, or anyone wants to try it. I gave you credit for the idea. Thanks ;)

skeeweeaka
Fri, Feb-17-06, 21:08
These sound terrific...willl try!

jodinicole
Tue, Mar-07-06, 20:59
I just made up a batch of these and they are wonderful!!! They smelled great and tasted even better! :yum: It will make breakfast soooo much easier!

Norma June
Sat, Mar-18-06, 09:10
I've been making these for years and it's a staple in our LC home. We're always on the go and these are great for a grab & go breakfast.

I add various things to make a variety of them. Some times I hide things in the middle of each meatball like a small piece of cheese, a piece of pimento or olive.

Some things I may add (one item, some items but not all items) for variety has been:

Chopped spinach, Other cheeses such as Mozzarela, Chopped hot banana peppers, Pimento, Olives, Bacon, garlic. The chopped spinach is one addition my family loves.

Sometimes when I am "off" sausage meat (which sometimes happens) I make them with ground beef only and it's every bit as good.

LibbyInWA
Sun, Apr-23-06, 08:54
Thanks so much for posting this! It reminded me to make meatballs which I had sort of forgotten about. I even have all the ingredients! Thanks again.

Libby :yum:

AlluraD
Tue, Oct-10-06, 06:28
This is a great recipe!! Made it many times in the past..now that I am lc'ing again I had to search it out this morning!!

BlitzedAng
Tue, Oct-10-06, 08:35
Has anyone ever found a Jimmy Dean sausage without sugar? If so what flavor was it? I looked at three of them and they all had sugar.
Thanks so much.

Angel

rightnow
Tue, Oct-10-06, 09:27
Sometimes people are looking for "munchy foods" they can eat while watching TV or something and people around them are munching on stuff. If these were made small, and then a variety of dips provided that were LC and yummy, they could be a great munchy food!

I'm going to try these tonight. I love the idea of hiding something in the middle! I love hot peppers and putting some peppers and cheese inside sounds so great.

AlluraD
Tue, Oct-10-06, 10:15
Angel......Last time I did LC it didn't have sugar......just bought some and now it does......am going to have to find another brand or make my own~

BlitzedAng
Tue, Oct-10-06, 17:03
Thanks for the info AlluraD.. I'll keep looking.

Angel

boopiee
Tue, Oct-10-06, 17:19
Has anyone ever found a Jimmy Dean sausage without sugar? If so what flavor was it? I looked at three of them and they all had sugar.
Thanks so much.

Angel

I just bought a 16-oz package of Jimmy Dean regular sausage (bulk sausage, not patties) and there's no carbs nor sugars. I bought it at Publix Grocery store in Georgia.

BlitzedAng
Wed, Oct-11-06, 09:16
How odd. I have also never seen zero carb sausage.Hmmmm.

AlluraD
Fri, Oct-13-06, 09:13
I bought mine in Publix here in Florida.........it says 0 carbs but has sugar listed in the ingredients~It's the 1 lb. tube.

Some1Sweet
Sun, Dec-17-06, 00:48
I am going grocery shopping tomorrow definetly going to buy sausage to make these, thanks bunches for sharing!

~krista~
Tue, Jan-23-07, 19:17
I just made these. I only had lean ground beef so I used that, they're delicious and a great alternative to eggs for breakfast. Thanks for the recipe :)

justlease
Mon, Feb-19-07, 13:50
I just made these too, following the recipe ingredients exactly. They are totally delicious. It's a good thing I calculated the per meatball nutritional counts while they were in the oven or I probably would have eaten 10 instead of just the 3 I had!

They come out to be about 107 calories per meatball (if you make 60), 9g fat and 5 g protein.

Annie128
Fri, Mar-16-07, 11:52
Great ideas.

Annie128
Fri, Mar-16-07, 12:15
How many carbs are in five of them and how long do you have to microwave them for?

Lori121
Sun, Mar-18-07, 08:21
Those sound good. Thanks for posting.

Hismouse
Thu, Sep-13-07, 13:29
How do u get 21 carb when the ground beef has none the jimmy deans has none and the cheese has none and two tsp of onion thats not 21 carbs, so my question is where di this amount come from. Because 21 is alot for 5 meatballs. please let me know someone, because these sound wonderful

LBelfiore
Sat, Sep-15-07, 12:27
Parisfox: I went to buy the sausage like you mentioned to make the meatballs but in the ingredients it read, dextrose (sugar.) I thought you should know. :wave:

DarthBarth
Tue, Jan-01-08, 21:20
I have made these for years, I have not used the for breakfast though, always for a snack or sometimes for lunch.

I am an Italian, so we have always had meatballs around in my family, always a batch in the freezer. I love meatballs in any shape or form, especially these.

I do add romano or parm cheese to these though instead of the cheddar, along with some processed pork rinds and italian seasoning and extra oregano.

Yummy, yummy. yummy!

LBelfiore
Wed, Jan-02-08, 18:13
I used to make these meatballs until I read the carb and sugar count I believe it said 0 or 1 but written it in the ingredients it has something like corn syrup or sugar. I have to go shopping and read the ingred. again and I'll get back to you.