PDA

View Full Version : New meaning for chicken parm

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

VictoriaT
Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:11
Hi everyone!
I wanted to post this recipe because it was so delicious. My wonderful fiance made it for me since I was craving chicken parm...

He made 8 chicken breasts with this recipe.

4 eggs and 1/2c to 1 c heavy cream. He added pepper and any other spices for taste. He dipped the chicken in it and let it sit for about 2 minutes.

Then...
:yum: this is the good part!! :lol:

He rolled the chicken in freshly grated parm cheese! It took the place of the breadcrumbs. It looked exactly like breadcrumbs, but much much less carbs.

He fried them in a small amount of olive oil, just to brown them.

When they were brown, he moved them to the oven where he cooked them for another 20-25 mins at 350.

This was so awesome I cant even tell you. Also, the day after they tasted even better.

PLEASE let me know if you try this out-I loved it!!!

Vicki :wave:

Yesican
Sun, Oct-13-02, 08:55
I am going out shopping & making this tonight with some spinach as a side dish...Sounds delicious!
:)

Mosaic4
Tue, Oct-15-02, 23:36
Vic...

Sounds awesome!! Can you serve this with marinara sauce? I don't even know if marinara is LC acceptable.

I can't wait to try it.

-Mosaic4

BTW...congrats on the wedding.

VictoriaT
Wed, Oct-16-02, 07:23
Good morning :)

I think it wont hurt you to use a bit of tomato sauce on it! :yum: WOW, now I want to make it again.... :lol: I just couldnt believe how great it tasted with that parm cheese as the "breading".

Let me know how it turns out!!!

Vicki

Akiwican
Wed, Oct-16-02, 07:28
I've had that with a slice of ham and cheese rolled up in the chicken too. Ummmm love it! :thup:

:wave: Akiwican

Azure
Fri, Oct-18-02, 08:20
I made this the other night for me and my 3 roommates. 2 of them hate to eat anything that they know I made specifically low-carb. So I didn't bother telling them. It was fantastic. I let the chicken "marinade" in the cream/egg mixture for about 30 minutes. Then I dipped them in the parmesan cheese and practically deep-fried them in olive oil. Got them nice and crispy. Then I put them in a baking dish and topped each breast with a 1/4 cup of vodka sauce (1 g ecc) and a slice of Monterey Jack cheese. Baked at 350 for about 10 minutes. They were AWESOME.

Mosaic4
Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:47
Sounds GREAT!! BTW...what's Vodka sauce and what is "ecc?"

TIA,

Mosaic4

Azure
Fri, Oct-18-02, 13:20
Originally posted by Mosaic4
Sounds GREAT!! BTW...what's Vodka sauce and what is "ecc?"

TIA,

Mosaic4

Vodka sauce is a lovely red sauce made with vodka. It's very nummy. I have a brand here in Massachusetts that had 4 g of carbs, 2 of which are fibre, for a 1/2 cup serving. ECC is effective carb count, which is the carbs minus the fibre. So for the 1/4 cup I used for each serving, there was only 1 g of effective carbs.

Mosaic4
Fri, Oct-18-02, 13:36
Thanks...

I have seen Vodka sauce. In fact, Emeril makes a version that my grocery store carries. However, I don't know the "ecc." BTW...thanks for expaining that, too.

M.

Azure
Mon, Oct-21-02, 18:22
I cannot stress this enough. This dish is SIMPLE and DELICIOUS. If you haven't yet, make it tonight.

Mosaic4
Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:23
Tried to make this...but didn't turn out right.

I let the chicken set in the egg/cream mixture and then coated it with grated parm. When I put it in the skillet, the parm just came off and stuck to the pan, leaving my chicken without any coating.

What did I do wrong?

TIA..

M.

Azure
Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:42
Gotta get your oil hot enough. And don't turn it too soon.

wanjiku
Tue, Oct-22-02, 00:47
hi,

I kind of cheated of the diet for a month when I was doing my bcom exams I am now back to induction and tell me if this meals are okey.

Breakfast

2 pan fried eggs
2 glasses of water.

lunch

I chicken keg dip fried

1 cup fried Kale.

2 glasses of water.

dinner

1 cup beef fried

3 big cups fried cabbages

5 glasses of water.

Is this okey or am I taking to much fat.

wanji

VictoriaT
Tue, Oct-22-02, 13:34
hi everyone
Glad you like the recipe.
Hey wanji---
that looks fine. You can go to fitday.com and put in your foods. Fat is your friend. You dont have to worry about it-make sure you are getting enough protein and at least 20g carbs too per day-it looks like you are eating veggies :thup:

Ive been out sick for the past week or so. Azure-your tweak sounds delicious. Im going to try it out soon
VIcki

Moni-Luv
Wed, Oct-23-02, 14:20
Originally posted by Akiwican
I've had that with a slice of ham and cheese rolled up in the chicken too. Ummmm love it! :thup:

:wave: Akiwican Me too I love it w/ ham and cheese..........the parmesean chicken sounds wonderful........and than top w/ a lil marinera and mozerella and than bake...

UAGirl
Tue, Dec-31-02, 13:52
How bout sharing that Vodka sauce with a fellow Massachusettser? :) Where did you get it? Come on please!!

kodi10
Sun, Jan-05-03, 14:07
I've been using this same technique for chicken wings. Wonderful!

Azure
Sun, Jan-05-03, 21:35
Originally posted by UAGirl
How bout sharing that Vodka sauce with a fellow Massachusettser? :) Where did you get it? Come on please!!

I've found it at every stop and shop I've been in. Even a few BJ's.

Mahoney
Wed, Jan-29-03, 05:37
I went searching for a low-carb chicken parm reciple in Google, and it brought me right back to this site where I've been hanging out the last week or so. :) Here is the link to the reciple I found: (http://forum.lowcarber.org/t65059.html). This came out great! Even my 1 year old daughter who is just getting the hang of solids love it. I just want to thank VictoriaT and Azure, as I used both of their recommendations. I also pounded the chicken breast somewhat flat. Thanks again, Bob

gracecame
Thu, May-29-03, 23:45
Mmmmmmmmmmm this sounds delicious and I've been craving it; glad I found it.

Going to put some salsa on top! Thanks! :)

Archie
Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:11
Sound Great! What do you suggest for the spices? Or is this his secret recipe :lol: ?

lisam33
Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:30
This was pretty good. The first time I tried it, I thought it was a little bland so i used some light ragu spaghetti sauce. I am going to try it again, may try some garlic, salt and pepper in the mix which will hopefully give it more flavor. I hadn't seasoned it at all the first time, which is why it was bland to me.

Froufie
Tue, Oct-14-03, 07:58
I have some "flavored" parmesan cheese at home, already grated with added garlic, basil and some other spices. I think this would work great.

question: are we talking boneless/skinless chicken breasts? or is everyone using "regular" chicken breasts?

Froufie

lisam33
Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:38
i tried it again and it worked well this time. I put spices in the egg mixture and in the cheese. I topped it with a few mushooms a piece of bacon and provelone cheese- wow. It was great. I think the provelone cheese works the best because it melts so creamy. But then again I am a STL gal so of course I prefer provelone

siara28
Tue, Oct-28-03, 15:53
I have some "flavored" parmesan cheese at home, already grated with added garlic, basil and some other spices. I think this would work great.

question: are we talking boneless/skinless chicken breasts? or is everyone using "regular" chicken breasts?

Froufie

I believe everyone is talking boneless/sknls........thats how I did mine tonight, and BOY WAS IT GOOD!!!!!
Thanks so much, keep the VARIATIONS coming, it's nice to have variety!
Heidi

SpecialK
Mon, Nov-17-03, 23:23
I made this dish the night before last. WooHoo!!!. Even my husband who is a quite leary of my LC experimenting said "This one's a keeper" Thank You!!

SpecialK
Mon, Nov-17-03, 23:25
I forgot to add my tweaking. I added about a tablespoon of Italian seasoning to the cream and egg mixture as well as a dash of garlic salt. YUM

nowonder
Sat, Dec-06-03, 18:29
Holy **** this is good!

A nice snowy day, I decided to hit the supermarket and pick up everything for this... It was worth fighting the snow for it.

I followed the recipe, and threw a little pepper and some garlic powder in with the cheese. After it was done cooking the 25min, I turned off the oven, threw a thin slice of provolone on a slice, and put it back in the cooling oven to melt.

Then I topped with a little red sauce (forget what brand, but I choose the garlic type). Can you tell I like garlic? It's better than ketosis breath.

I can honestly say this is the best chicken parm I've ever had. Next time I might cut the egg/cream mix in half, I threw out a lot of it.

Thank You

--nw

Ghost
Sun, Dec-14-03, 17:48
Thanks. This is a great recipe. I made it tonight & baked the chicken with mozza cheese on top. I served it with pureed tomatoes, cooked with some pureed garlic & oregano & portabello mushrooms sauteed in butter & garlic powder.

There was alot of egg & cream mixture left but I found a use for that too. I cooked it up in the microwave & gave it to my dogs. Eggs are great for their coats and everyone got a treat.

SnowymtnRN
Mon, Dec-15-03, 20:20
I'm going to try this soon! I'd love to find the vodka sauce, i'll have to look around. I've never tried it before, but it sounds wonderful. I thought when you fried parmesan for coating it got all burnt. lol Never thought about just til its brown THEN baking it. DUH. Thanks again!!

Dawn

mommyto3
Thu, Jan-08-04, 14:16
This may sound like a silly, novice cooking question (and that's what I feel like sometimes!) but can you use prepared parmesean as well rather than grating fresh parm.?

As a mother of 2 year old twins who are hanging over me the entire time that I am trying to cook, I am always looking for speed and convenience!

Thanks,

nowonder
Thu, Jan-08-04, 15:10
I don't see why you couldn't use prepared parm... Just be careful to read the labels. Make sure they aren't sneaking in extra carbs as fillers.

--nw

mommyto3
Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:52
Alright then! That's what I am cooking tonight for supper! I can't wait!!

Allikins
Fri, Jan-09-04, 15:18
mommyto3...I find another quick way to make parmesan chicken is to mix mayo, prepared paremesan cheese and pepper to taste. spread it on boneless skinless chicken breast and bake. Sorry I don't have exact measures and oven temps. I usually wing it

mommyto3
Fri, Jan-09-04, 19:53
Thanks Allikins! That sounds good too. I'm all about experimenting! lol

We just finished supper a little while ago. I used the thread recipe and I loved it. DS didn't want me to make one for him (he's a REALLY picky eater). I did have him try a bite of mine and he LOVED it. He asked for more! Next time, he will definitely ask me to cook one for him as well!

That is TRULY a thumbs up! :)

sjkling
Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:34
yummy! if you haven't tried this one, you should try it for your next dinner! couldn't have been easier! and was it ever yummy! i also grated just a little extra parmesan cheese on top before i baked them! wonderful!

huggs2ewe
Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:28
Parmesian cheese is a great "breading". I will try this recipe tomorrow night. I also use Parm as a breading with chicken thighs... sort of a shake and bake. I add garlic powder, season salt and italian seasoning. Just dredge the pieces and put on a rack in the oven. It is even better than any breading I have ever used.
I used parmesian as the "breading" the other day in meat balls and I liked it better than pork rinds or low carb bread.

SnowymtnRN
Wed, Jan-28-04, 19:55
I tried this and its WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

kath310
Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:18
When I was growing up, my mother always put grated parm in with the flour when she made chicken parm....it's going to be really nummy with just the parm!!

Mom also used to make "chicken fried steak" with the same general concept, just using steak instead of chicken. (and you can get away with using cheaper cuts of steak for this too) I think that would be pretty good with the parm breading too!

Just my $0.02! :)