PDA

View Full Version : High BP and Cholestrol

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Yank_in_NC
Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:42
Is the Atkins safe for someone with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. By the way, he's taking meds for both.

VictoriaT
Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:16
Hi Yank
There are many success stories with people who are on Atkins. It depends on the person, but for the most part, BP comes down and so does cholesterol. If you post this in the BP and cholesterol section (health) you will get more responses.

I have been LCing for 4 months (this Sunday) and my BP has gone from 150/100 to 128/88....MUCH better! :)

My cholesterol went up a tad. BUT..the VLDL (the bad cholesterol) went from 36 to 19! Also, my HDL is pretty high.

Give it a try! I love this way of eating and I feel better than I have in many many years.

Vicki

doreen T
Wed, Oct-09-02, 22:07
hi there Yank,

If you still have your copy of Dr. Atkins' book, you'll see that he addresses high blood pressure, cholesterol and other heart & blood vessel problems very specifically. For most people, the numbers will come down ... Persons taking medication should be followed by their doctor, since the numbers can come WAY down. Then the medication may need to be reduced or even stopped. It's desirable of course to get off the meds, but not without the dr's supervision.

There's more information about high blood pressure and cholesterol at the official Atkins website ... www.atkinscenter.com .. articles about high blood pressure (http://atkinscenter.com/global/search-results.html?search_string=high+blood+pressure)

articles about cholesterol (http://atkinscenter.com/global/search-results.html?search_string=cholesterol)Hope that helps,

Doreen