PDA

View Full Version : fruits and veggies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sherrybee
Fri, Mar-16-01, 19:15
okay, i've been doing good on this low carb thing but i DO have another question...fructose versus the other sugars---how bad are the natural sugars in fruits and some vegetables for a low carb diet?

r.mines
Fri, Mar-16-01, 20:36
Depends which version of low-carb you're doing, and which fruits in particular. The short answer is that your body can't tell the difference between fructose and sucrose (table sugar). Fructose is absorbed more slowly, but to your body cells, sugar is sugar (the same goes for starches, by the way).

Atkins allows small amounts of berries, which have lower sugar than other fruits. The Zone allows some fruits, and CAD does too (but only at Reward Meals).

I suggest reading the books - whichever one is appropriate to the plan you're on. If you don't want to buy them, they should be in your local library.

Rachel

doreen T
Fri, Mar-16-01, 20:37
Sugar is sugar, as far as insulin and your fat cells are concerned. Please check this article about sugars and sweeteners http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips006.html

Bottom line is, all carbs (except fiber) are ultimately broken down and absorbed as sugar in your body. That's why a lowcarb diet restricts foods high in natural sugars, such as most fruits, starchy vegetables, milk and grains.

hope this helps .. :)

Doreen